Author Topic: i dont think "chronic 2: papa's got a brand new funk" wuda been what we expected  (Read 2521 times)

BiggBoogaBiff

im just thinking about all of the production I heard Dre do from 94'-97' and none of it besides the obvious few like "cali love" and "keep their..." and Blunt Time (imo) really have that bomb ass classic sound to it.  cant c me was the shit but it was used over like 3 times in 3 different years.  I don't really think "the chronic 2" woulda been as big or as better than "The Chronic".  Obviously Dre woulda sold millions and did it big and it would've been a good album but i dont think we would've had that 'sound' that comes to mind/imagination when we think of DeathRow Dr. Dre in 96'.  Street Scholars was hot, but the Sam Sneed version in CDQ just makes that beat sound kinda casio-ish thinking about the OG Version (both versions we've heard r finished).  OG 2 BG woulda been a hot track but i dont even think Dre had shit to do with it.  The Aftermath album only had bt, btdt, and eck/wck that were album acceptable.  It gets me thinkin, how much good shit Dre actually left behind at DR during those sessions/years.  

01 - Keep Their Heads Ringin'
02 - California Love/Remix
03 - Can't C Me
04 - Blunt Time
05 - Eastcoast, Westcoast Killaz
06 - Been There, Done That
07 - Game Over/Lord Please (The Original Version)
08 - U Better Recognize (Remix)  - most likely Sam did most of this so it doesn't really count
09 - Street Scholars
10 - The Source Lab 95' *sounds like Dre*
11 - Phone Tap
12 - Firm Family
13 - 5 Minutes To Flush  (maybe)

but that's really it.  i mean alotta tracks on this list would've been better with the Deathrow Inmates on em but they couldn't have been that much better.  i've heard somewhere b4 that Dre just used alotta of his old DR material and re-vamped it on Aftermath (but i dont know how tru that is).

StevenQBosell

i've heard somewhere b4 that Dre just used alotta of his old DR material and re-vamped it on Aftermath (but i dont know how tru that is).

I've heard that too, for example, on the recent version of theDR forums, they had an interview w/ J Flexx stating that Been There... had been recorded while he was still technically signed to DR, or something, so Suge got a piece of that publishing; something to that effect, don't know how true it is

Efrain

I think it would have been 70-80% the Aftermath album with the addition of Cali Love and Keep the Heads Ringing. Probably would have also had a beat or two from the Firm CD and that Ghetto Fabulous beat he did for Ras Kass. I'm sure it would have been just as misunderstood as the album he dropped after leaving.

That entire Dre era music is dope but maaaad unfocused in retrospect.   

BiggBoogaBiff

I think it would have been 70-80% the Aftermath album with the addition of Cali Love and Keep the Heads Ringing. Probably would have also had a beat or two from the Firm CD and that Ghetto Fabulous beat he did for Ras Kass. I'm sure it would have been just as misunderstood as the album he dropped after leaving.

That entire Dre era music is dope but maaaad unfocused in retrospect.   

Ghetto Fabulous wasn't even produced by Dre lol   http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=50827

sweetdudejim

I just wonder how much work he actually put into the album before he abandoned it. Like how many songs deep he got. And I think this should have been the first Aftermath CD instead of the compilation, and he could have featured Sam Sneed, J-Flexx, RBX, King T, and everybody else he was planning on on having on Aftermath (remember Sam, Flexx, etc) were supposed to be on the label.

But yeah, I think the only songs that we know he worked on were "back pay", "my life", "blunt time", and "california love".....but i wonder if any of those songs morphed into anything on the compilation, The Firm, King T, Eminem, or 2001 albums (besides the obvious "blunt time" and "cali love".

StevenQBosell

This is the text from the last incarnation of the Deathrow website, a supposed interview w/ J. Flexx

Chronic 2 sessions facts -

California love (ghost writer version) - j-flexx
California love - dr dre
Note - dr dre’s 3 verse version w/ roger from zapp.

Blunt time (ghost version) - j-flexx
Blunt time - dr dre
Note - blunt time was recorded the same day as california love and was recorded at dre’s house w/ roger for zapp. Dre failed to give roger credit on talk box when it was released on aftermath compilation to avoid any problems with death row. Also there is no other version of this song (2pac, rage, sam sneed etc), if a version was done it would have been during the early start of aftermath and after death row.

“Back pay” (ghost version) - j-flexx
“Back pay” - dr dre
Note - very few people even know this song was recorded, if u happened to be at dre’s house or j-flexx’s camp would know about this song. The song was going at certain females dre was involved with and had james brown’s “pay back” sample. This is one of dre’s best song at death row.

Aside from maybe another 2-3 songs , that was all that was recorded for the chronic sessions. J-flexx was dr dre’s right hand man at time, he was doing “all” of dr dre’s ghost writing. drauma didn’t write anything for dr dre that was actually recorded until the aftermath thing popped off. a lot people tend to forgett dr dre had a really bad year in 95 (jail, easy died, 2pac arrived, suge taking control of company etc). jimmy also didn’t help the session, he was always telling dre not to start on another gangster rap album. Also to clear any rumors about suge taking dre’s vocals off of cali love and replacing them w/ pac is totally false. suge did not even have access to cali love because after 94 dre did not ever record anything at can am only at his house. 2pac was invited to dre’s house for the only session between the two. The only songs that were recorded was can’t c me & cali love, nothing more. The only other beat that dre gave to pac was toss it up (og) beat, but was not recorded together. The beat was later sold to blackstreet.

Been there, done that - was not recorded at d.r. at all. The reason for suge having credit to that song was when dre first left, j-flexx and sam sneed camp also left with him. The first songs that were recorded at aftermath j-flexx wrote both. A dr dre track ( been there) and a solo song for himself that was originally intened to be on the aftermath compilation. After a while j-flexx realized the dre was not going to help him get out his dr contract, flex decided to call suge and try to work things out. Suge was cool with idea and flexx returned. As soon as he got to the office he told suge he had written the new dr dre single and before flexx could finish his story, suge went straight to interscop with paper work and received a fat check from jimmy. Dr dre was not happy!!!!

Keep the heads - again another song that was recorded around the same time, but this song was strictly recorded for the Friday ost . There is a ghost version with flexx that is a lil more explicit. I don’t think many people realize this song is about bitches giving head. Priorty made dr dre tone down the lyrics a bit for the radio version

Og to bg - was recorded before the chronic sessions even started. Good song though.

Again, don't know how accurate it is, but if it is, VERY interesting...

DTG Entertainment

This is the text from the last incarnation of the Deathrow website, a supposed interview w/ J. Flexx

Chronic 2 sessions facts -

California love (ghost writer version) - j-flexx
California love - dr dre
Note - dr dre’s 3 verse version w/ roger from zapp.

Blunt time (ghost version) - j-flexx
Blunt time - dr dre
Note - blunt time was recorded the same day as california love and was recorded at dre’s house w/ roger for zapp. Dre failed to give roger credit on talk box when it was released on aftermath compilation to avoid any problems with death row. Also there is no other version of this song (2pac, rage, sam sneed etc), if a version was done it would have been during the early start of aftermath and after death row.

“Back pay” (ghost version) - j-flexx
“Back pay” - dr dre
Note - very few people even know this song was recorded, if u happened to be at dre’s house or j-flexx’s camp would know about this song. The song was going at certain females dre was involved with and had james brown’s “pay back” sample. This is one of dre’s best song at death row.

Aside from maybe another 2-3 songs , that was all that was recorded for the chronic sessions. J-flexx was dr dre’s right hand man at time, he was doing “all” of dr dre’s ghost writing. drauma didn’t write anything for dr dre that was actually recorded until the aftermath thing popped off. a lot people tend to forgett dr dre had a really bad year in 95 (jail, easy died, 2pac arrived, suge taking control of company etc). jimmy also didn’t help the session, he was always telling dre not to start on another gangster rap album. Also to clear any rumors about suge taking dre’s vocals off of cali love and replacing them w/ pac is totally false. suge did not even have access to cali love because after 94 dre did not ever record anything at can am only at his house. 2pac was invited to dre’s house for the only session between the two. The only songs that were recorded was can’t c me & cali love, nothing more. The only other beat that dre gave to pac was toss it up (og) beat, but was not recorded together. The beat was later sold to blackstreet.

Been there, done that - was not recorded at d.r. at all. The reason for suge having credit to that song was when dre first left, j-flexx and sam sneed camp also left with him. The first songs that were recorded at aftermath j-flexx wrote both. A dr dre track ( been there) and a solo song for himself that was originally intened to be on the aftermath compilation. After a while j-flexx realized the dre was not going to help him get out his dr contract, flex decided to call suge and try to work things out. Suge was cool with idea and flexx returned. As soon as he got to the office he told suge he had written the new dr dre single and before flexx could finish his story, suge went straight to interscop with paper work and received a fat check from jimmy. Dr dre was not happy!!!!

Keep the heads - again another song that was recorded around the same time, but this song was strictly recorded for the Friday ost . There is a ghost version with flexx that is a lil more explicit. I don’t think many people realize this song is about bitches giving head. Priorty made dr dre tone down the lyrics a bit for the radio version

Og to bg - was recorded before the chronic sessions even started. Good song though.

Again, don't know how accurate it is, but if it is, VERY interesting...

It wasn't an interview with J Flexx. Los Skanless typed that up.

StevenQBosell

^^^^^

Is any of it accurate to your knowledge?

DTG Entertainment

^^^^^

OG To BG Information = Accurate
Back Pay = Accurate
Been There Done That = Accurate
Blunt Tyme = Inaccurate

The fact that there was no more songs done accurate, the fact that there was not more beats done for it = inaccurate.

West Coast Veteran

How was the "No Diggity" beat sold to Blackstreet when Teddy Riley produced that song, however that style is similar to Dre's. I thought Dre produced that song when I first heard it.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
How was the "No Diggity" beat sold to Blackstreet when Teddy Riley produced that song, however that style is similar to Dre's. I thought Dre produced that song when I first heard it.
Dre sold it to Teddy Riley if i'm not mistaken.

i've heard somewhere b4 that Dre just used alotta of his old DR material and re-vamped it on Aftermath (but i dont know how tru that is).

I've heard that too, for example, on the recent version of theDR forums, they had an interview w/ J Flexx stating that Been There... had been recorded while he was still technically signed to DR, or something, so Suge got a piece of that publishing; something to that effect, don't know how true it is
J-Flexx didn't own his publishing rights, yes

outlaw_uk

• 'G'
wasnt Zoom feat ll cool j a DR era track? but it was obviously put out after dre left

BiggBoogaBiff

if Dre woulda stayed at DeathRow then we probably woulda got a DR version of 2001 in 1999 instead of The G Funk'd Chronic2.

sweetdudejim

^^^^^

OG To BG Information = Accurate
Back Pay = Accurate
Been There Done That = Accurate
Blunt Tyme = Inaccurate

The fact that there was no more songs done accurate, the fact that there was not more beats done for it = inaccurate.

Since I'm new around here, may I ask how you know about this information? And what was "OG To BG" recorded for if it wasn't for Chronic II? Was it for Dogg Food or a soundtrack or something?

And what's up with Blunt Time? Did Dre ever record it on Death Row? Does anybody have a definitive list of what Dre actually did for 2nd solo album on DR besides "cali love" and "back pay"?

Like what about "My Life"? Was that intended for Chronic II or was it maybe for Helter Skelter, as D.O.C. is on it, and I think he was gone from DR by the time Dre started on the album (I think?)

Hopefully somebody with more info will shed some light on this situation.

So Much Style

how can OG 2 BG be a chronic era track if it has soopafly on it you fucking IDIOT!!!! soopafly did not appear until later.
So much style back at it again