Author Topic: Canibus - Mic Club: The Curriculum - The Official Cliche Review  (Read 441 times)

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
Canibus - Mic Club: The Curriculum - The Official Cliche Review
« on: November 13, 2002, 05:45:37 PM »
great week for hip-hop.

1. The Mic Club Intro
2. Poet Laureate
3. Master Thesis
4. Behind Enemy Rhymes
5. Allied Meta-Forces ft. Kool G Rap
6. Cenoir Studies 02
7. C Section
8. Drama A T ft. Lumminati
9. Dr C PHD
10. Bis vs. Rip ft. Rip The Jacker
11. Liberal Arts ft. Jedi Mind Tricks
12. Curriculum 101
13. Mic Club Outro

Intro... has Canibus rhyming/talking slow in a low voice...

"Poet Laureate" good beat... Canibus sounds hungry. this is the Bis i expected last album.

"Master Thesis" I think Bis found himself some beats.... this shit is nice... deep bass... good sample... good hard drums... he still has lines for days.....

"Behind Enemy Rhymes" i like the little keys loop... this is the kind of track Bis never could've carried before but it sounds good... the only negative is one of the little instrument sounds gets on my nerves

"Allied Meta-Forces" okay the singing at the start is wierdly eerie.. reminds me of bjork or something... beat comes in nice with Bis riding it... production is good... several different elements, the kind of stuff Bis never had other than an occasional song. good song, G Rap sounds good... not sure if i'd put him above Bis on this though.

"Cenoir Studies 02" rock inspired beat here... its good... i'd rather hear him rocking over anything loud than some quiet stuff...

"C Section" I like how Bis spits, the beat is okay... its certainly different... wierd flute or something of that nature

"Drama A T" i like how the strings come in... i wish they'd stay on the track... really hard kick drums... Luminatti is solid... a lot better than the last protege Bis brought around (thats journalist for you kids playing at home)

"Dr C PHD" crazy beat... tempo is mad fast.. i like the piano... and the drums... Canibus sounds nice riding this beat...

"Bis vs. Rip The Jacker"  this is basically Rip The Jacker (Canibus' alter ego) dissing Canibus....  dope little intro... the beat is really well done... subtle instruments but well done... haha... listening to Rip diss Bis is priceless.... this shit is intense...  then Bis comes in with this softer edged style... and rips the shit nicely... this is one of the most interesting songs to hear... just because of the way Bis breaks down his own career.  this song is a must hear.

"Liberal Arts" ft. Jedi Mind Tricks ... crazy mexican/spanish strings.... this shit is dope... i cant wait for that canibus/stoupe lp.... JMT reps nicely.

"Curriculum 101" good hard drums... nice sample... shit is nice... I never cease to be amazed by his lyrical talent.

"Mic Club Outro"  the low voiced slow speaking canibus is back for the outro...

this is very impressive, my anticipation grew the last week or so and Canibus delivered, for the first time in a while.  lyrically its impressive as he always is, but the beats and the layout of the album are vast improvements over previous work....

i give it a 4/5 its probably a bit higher than that... but i only rate but .5 scale

a definite pick up.
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

The Watcher

Re:Canibus - Mic Club: The Curriculum - The Official Cliche Review
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2002, 07:22:11 PM »
did he come back at Eminem on this album? im busy downloading it atm.. looks good

Princess-Suge: die
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Jome

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2002, 07:52:19 PM »
A few questions:

1. You rate many albums pretty high lately, are you in some kinda way biased towards Canibus?

2. How would you compare it to "C Hollywood stories" ??

3. How is the beats? What does it remind you of?

teecee

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2002, 09:23:10 PM »
Cliche: is this album really that good?  I know it must be better than C Hollywood stories (which DID have SOME nice cuts), but you gave Canibus' last one like 4.5 outta 5!  I'll have to hear thiis for myself, hope Canibus came with a more hardcore style this time out.......princess ;)

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2002, 09:29:09 PM »
A few questions:

1. You rate many albums pretty high lately, are you in some kinda way biased towards Canibus?

2. How would you compare it to "C Hollywood stories" ??

3. How is the beats? What does it remind you of?

see Ms. Suge, this is what we call a valid comment, perhaps someday you'll make one.  Why not just come in and make a comment that somehow involves what is being discussed?  just change your name to Drama-Queen, you're already way too obvious.

as for Jome's questions:

1. i have rated a lot of albums high lately (kweli, roots, canibus) because its dope stuff... basically this is some of the only good stuff to drop this year... i'd say there's been maybe 2 albums better than Roots/Kweli this year... i do like Bis, but most people are saying similar things to me about this LP.

2. i'd say its about 10 times better than C Tru Hollywood Stories... its apples and oranges, Hollywood stories was a misguided attempt to please critics who said "all you do is battle"... "Mic Club" is Canibus going back to his roots.  I sold my copy of CTHS today, and will happily replace it with this at some point

3. The beats are generally dope, got production from Alchemist, Stoupe, Salaam Remi etc on it... its hard to compare it musically... hmm.. i'd have to say it sounds like a more mature 2000 BC.

4. Warren G - Regulate
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
8. Nas - Illmatic

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2002, 01:27:50 PM »
actually the validity of the thread is based on Canibus, and his new album.. the fact that no one who's opinion matters has said anything about the thread being in the wrong place basically shows me how much free time you have on your hands.  everyone else in here is discussing the new Canibus album, why are you in here?

anyways.  Bis vs. Rip is definitely one of my favorite joints in a while

4. Warren G - Regulate
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
8. Nas - Illmatic

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2002, 01:54:56 PM »
its really dope...bis is back...hes just gotta hold the ball now.
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2002, 02:24:31 PM »
i can't wait to hear this...king and cliche need to drop it cause yall are ruining the thread, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

S.G.V.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2002, 04:17:40 PM »
i dont know i cant get into icantbus...his shit is nerdy...so is that jedi mind tricks shit...def jux...whatever the case maybe...shit is nerdy...the last time i like icantbus was when he was bustin with the lost boyz....

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2002, 04:27:20 PM »
Cliche: is this album really that good?  I know it must be better than C Hollywood stories (which DID have SOME nice cuts), but you gave Canibus' last one like 4.5 outta 5!

:o :o :o

Did he really give that 4.5/5?  That's a shock.  I'd give CTHS 4.5/10

Anyways, this album is dope so far (after one day).  "Cirrcumlum 101" is my fav. track right now.  The album is up there with 2000 B.C.  I'm not sure if it's better yet.  Thank god that Bis recovered from his fall and hopefully he can stay on this track.

Jome

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2002, 08:22:56 PM »
Ooh wee, Alchemist with the boards, I'ma DL this right now.
Thx for the replies Cliche ;)

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2002, 08:48:42 PM »
this cd is lyrically awesome...nothing touches this lyrically this year by far, the track with Kool G Rap is amazing, the both tear it apart...i can't wait to pick this up on tuesday, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2002, 04:43:44 PM »
GOD DAMN!!!!

I heard Curriculum 101... DAMN!!!!

Eminem is gonna have to come tight as fuck to top that. That without a doubt is gonna test Em's skillz, 'cause 'Bis returned to his oldself, and I think can beat Em' with the shit his spitting right now.

Xearo

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2002, 09:12:44 PM »
GOD DAMN!!!!

I heard Curriculum 101... DAMN!!!!

Eminem is gonna have to come tight as fuck to top that. That without a doubt is gonna test Em's skillz, 'cause 'Bis returned to his oldself, and I think can beat Em' with the shit his spitting right now.

No doubt yo.  Lyrically, Bis is on another level than Em is.  Eminem came to weak with his punches to Canibus, and now Bis has returned to reclaim how good of a lyricist he actually is.  I think if Bis and Em went at it in a full on beef, Bis would rip him apart, but Eminem is a helluva lot more popular, so maad people would say Em would win.

I started listening to Bis not too long ago.  I started listenin to him when people from my other board (Priority) were sayin how good of a lyricist he was and the awesome vocab and multi's he spit.  I copped 2000BC cuz they said it was his best, and I was hooked.  In my opinion, he's THE greatest lyricist if not one of the greatest lyricists that ever grabbed hold of a mic.

I downloaded a few tracks off Cirruculum, and I really like "C Section", "Cirriculum 101" and "Bis VS Rip The Jacker".  I'm definitly gonna cop the real CD when it drops!

Black Pack

• Lil Geezy
  • whaat?
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2002, 10:35:02 AM »
I don't like Canibus, he's definetly lost me as a fan. This is his LAST shot with me, if he dissapoints me AGAIN, I;m not wasting another cent on this cat. Hopefully I'll be nicely surprised.. but I doubt it.

"Blew the whole shit up on some 'what this button do ?'" - MF Doom
"Ignorance is an option, not genetic"-Aphter LyphE7