Author Topic: Exclusive: DJ Kay Slay Interview [Official Launch of NEW Hip-Hop Site)  (Read 122 times)

Lunatic

I'm writing for a brand new site y'all! Check out the page and let me know what y'all think of the lay out!

http://www.hiphophoopla.com/news/exclusive-dj-kay-slay-interview/

HipHopHoopla is proud to officially launch with our first interview with hip-hop staple, DJ Kay Slay, who just like his upcoming album title, is More Than Just a DJ. In this exclusive sit down, Kay Slay gives HipHopHoopla the official all-around word on his debut album. With over 60 guest appearances that include names such as Busta Rhymes, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, AZ, 50 Cent, Plies, Ray J, Papoose, Jim Jones, Jay Rock and more, Kay Slay is about to deliver a star-studded album!

Mixing in the old with the new, Kay Slay even talks to us about the infamous Jay-Z/Nas beef from a few years ago, and delivers his sure-to-be-controversial opinion and thoughts on the outcome.

Exclusive Interview: DJ Kay Slay
By:  Justin Melo
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Blood$

Re: Exclusive: DJ Kay Slay Interview [Official Launch of NEW Hip-Hop Site)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:09:13 PM »
nice interview, can't wait to hear the new album, that album he put out with Greg Street in '06 had hella dope tracks on it

good luck with this new site too!  8)

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 10:12:11 PM »
This is the official launch of www.hiphophoopla.com with DJ Kay Slay! The first interview in history is with DJ Kay Slay; how are you doing Slay?

I’m doing well; I hope your doing as good as I am.

First off, tell us about linking with E1 for the release of your upcoming album.

Well technically my last album which was with DJ Greg Street called “The Champions” was with KOCH and E1 and KOCH is the same thing, different name. I always had a relationship with them. I was also the A&R on Ray J’s last album on E1. There was already a connection there. I reached out to them and told them that I still have a lot of good music, and some other records that I was ready to record with this person and that person. They were like hey, let’s go.

What’s the release date for the album? The title is “More Than Just a DJ.”

“More Than Just a DJ” and the date we’re looking at is November 17th. That is the date we’re targeting. Unfortunately, any delays have nothing to do with me per say. I have 62 artists on my album because I don’t rap. My compilations have a lot of mixes of different artists collaborating on different records. You have to go through the red tape with that and make your artist and sample clearances; things of that nature. The November 17th date looks really promising right now.

62 rappers! Why did you title it “More Than Just a DJ?”

Because I’m more than just that. I’m involved in a lot of other things. I DJ, I produce and I’m also a publisher of my own magazine, Straight Stuntin’ Magazine. I’m in the hood doing politics, doing events for kids in the summertime. I do more than just spin on turn tables. I’m way bigger than that now.

DJ, magazines, mixtape master, stuff in the communities for the kids and so much more. How do you manage to balance out all of these acts?

At the end of the day, sometimes I don’t know how I do it myself either. I’ve just always been a strong will person. I’m a strong believer in that if you put all of the energy that you were putting into doing something negative when you were younger, if you put all of that same energy into doing something positive, you can do anything you want to in life. That’s just what I go on. Everything I can do that can bring another smile to somebody or change someone’s life, I think I owe it to them to do it.

You mentioned 62 rappers – we don’t expect you to name all of them, but tell us about some of the guest appearances you have on there?

50 Cent, Busta Rhymes, Plies, Drake, Tony Yayo, Jim Jones, Lloyd Banks, Cam’Ron, Papoose, OJ Da Juiceman, Trick Trick, Yo Gotti, Remy Ma, Jackie-O, Twista, Dorrough, Sheek Louch, Styles P, Jay Rock, Graph, Uncle Murda, Ray J, Maino, Red Café, Gucci Mane and so many more.

Is that Jay Rock from the west coast?

Yep, exactly, Jay Rock from the west coast.

What did you like about him?

Jay Rock is a real humble individual, besides him being from the streets and being a young G under some real G’s from the west coast. I went into Nickerson Housing, the projects were he’s from; were a lot of people from the west wouldn’t even go to those projects were Jay Rock comes from. Jay Rock could be a whole lot more retarded and acting crazy out there but he’s not and I like that. He’s from the streets but he’s real humble and he knows what he needs to do in this hip-hop game. He keeps his head up and puts out good music. And he knows how to spit. Don’t get it confused because that boy knows how to freestyle, rap and all of that. That’s something that took me by storm.

And did you handle the production on the album?

No actually I let a lot of people do what they do. It was enough of me making these records and does everything else I do. Before I forget, I also have Raekwon, Ghostface Killah and AZ on the album as well. I can’t forget them because Raekwon is like my brother. I got a lot of different producers. I had the producers produce the records and that was that; I made the collaborations.

So which producers are on there?

Definitely I have The Alchemist on there. DJ Green Lantern produced a track. Tha Bizness did a track; he’s the one that produced a few Drake records. Ty Fyffe produced on there. Dr. Dre produced the 50 Cent track but I don’t know if that one is going to get cleared (laughs). Me and 50 might have to do another record because of the politics of that (laughs). I’m just being real.

Dre doesn’t play around.

Dr. Dre produced that 50 Cent track. There are so many beats. I can’t forget Jimi Kendrix and J. Math with Street Radio; they produced my single called “Block Stars” with Plies, Jim Jones, Busta Rhymes and Ray J which is on radio and online now. We’ve shot the first part of the video already; we’re finishing Plies’ part this week. The record is in heavy rotation on Hot 97 and being spun around the country. Let me definitely big up Jimi Kendrix & J. Math because they did about four tracks on the album that are fascinating. There are a couple of other cats. I hope they don’t get mad because my mind is kind of spinning right now. I have some good production on there.

How can this album bring New York back?

This is my thing. I’m not really with the ‘bring New York back’ movement. New York never went anywhere. Some of the fans’ minds just seemed to travel. I’m more focused on bringing the whole hip-hop back into the game where people know the difference between rap and hip-hop because there confusing the two. I’m from New York and rep that until I die but right now, the culture is in a crisis that is way bigger than just New York. The fans got it confused. There is a lot of garbage ass music out here that is being confused with real lyricism. People are comparing people that make party music to the real lyricists. I can’t identify with that. I think people need to know the difference and that’s more my plight with my album. New York isn’t going anywhere and we’re not ever going anywhere; all the record labels are in New York (laughs).

Speaking of everything you have going on, are there any more plans in your “Street Sweepers” mixtape series?

I got a mixtape I just put out called “Block Stars” that is being used to promote the album for promotional use only. I’m not heavy into the mixtapes anymore. I don’t really have time to do them. Secondly, they’re trying to lock you up for mixtapes now (laughs). It’s somewhere else. I mind will do it professionally through label situations so I don’t get any headaches.

As a throwback question, was it like referring the legendary battle between Nas & Jay-Z?

I got a kick out of that shit. I got a kick out of seeing somebody finally kick Jay-Z in his ass. Nas, that “Ether” record was nasty. That was one of the most powerful disses in hip-hop history. Jay-Z was on top of his game and it looked like that would never happen. That’s what happens when you sleep on the underdog. Nas came through and changed the whole game. I enjoyed all of it. That’s real hip-hop. You know what I respect out of those two the most out of 99.99% rappers in the game today? When it was all said and done, they were able to do business together. Not “I’m gonna’ kill you and your family” type shit. You understand? That’s what I respected the most out of those two; when it was all said and done; they did business together and keep it moving. And that is hip-hop to me.

And the tracks they ended up doing together were hot!

Exactly. That’s hip-hop right there. If somebody says something about you, you pick up a mic, you duke it out and may the best man win. After that, you give each other dap and keep it moving. I don’t know where this part of the game came in where if somebody says something, you start wanting to shoot them and kill them. Where did this come from? I don’t understand it and I’m not with none of that.

I’m with you on that. The beef is obviously over and they did business together as you said. Judging by your answer though, I’d guess you preferred “Ether” over “The Takeover?”

A lot of people preferred “Ether” over “The Takeover” (laughs). It wasn’t just me. Jay-Z came off on the record; “Takeover” was hot. I just think Nas got more in-depth and touched on a whole lot more other situations. It was just all geared towards him. It was ugly.

There are still some major DJ’s in the game doing what they do such as yourself and some other ones. How do you feel about the false advertising that goes on with the word “DJ” in hip-hop? Do you feel as if hip-hop has lost the essence of what a real DJ is?

Yeah, definitely. At the end of the day it’s to each his own and times change and you have to change with the times. There are still some real DJ’s out here doing what they do. But we all know the internet has put the game in a state where anybody can claim to be anything. I can take a ten year old, ask him to pick his favorite ten songs that he likes, put them in the order he likes, make him a cover and have him talk over them and call him “DJ Young Boy” and he’s in the game. It’s that simple.

How do you feel about people like that claiming the “DJ” title?

There were always be bootleg everything (laughs). You can’t stop the bootlegging. There will always fakers and imitators. At the end of the day, the truth always comes to the light. When the time comes and there called out to do certain events or situations, it’s going to be what it’s going to be. You can’t stop it because it’s too strong. It’s crazy out here right now.

You really got behind Papoose when he was first coming out; how do you think he’s progressed?

I think he’s progressed more at this point. He didn’t understand the politics of the industry and how to move and handle certain situations. Now after having his rise and going through some politics and dying down a little bit and he’s clearing the road. He’s more about being a businessman and moving forward with his music. He’s matured and understands more of the business now. Now, it’s going to be different for him this next go around. A lot of times people come in the game and don’t know about the business. They bring their posse with them and situations happen and they walk away from it. You have to go through to it to grow through it. It is what it is. He’ll be alright though.

You really co-signed him. Are there any more up and coming artists that you’re really co-signing or are about to co-sign?

No, I just have so much going on right now that I’m going stick with Papoose. Another artist I was working with that I’m still tight with is Big Lu from New Jersey. I think he’s very talented and can be somebody with the proper situation. He could change a lot of situations in the rap game because he’s lyrical and an intelligent brother. He’s working. He had some other politics with another individual and I have to let that situation boil over before I can continue working with him. Right now, it’s just about Papoose.

Thanks a whole lot for your time Kay Slay. You’re on www.hiphophoopla.com and this is the official launch of the website right here, the first interview in our history with DJ Kay Slay. The “More Than Just a DJ” album will be in stores this November. Do you have any additional statements before I let you go?

Cop the album November 17th, “More Than Just a DJ.” And learn the difference between a rapper and a real lyrical MC. Take care boss.

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 10:12:46 PM »
nice interview, can't wait to hear the new album, that album he put out with Greg Street in '06 had hella dope tracks on it

good luck with this new site too!  8)
Thanks playa! It's a dope lay out 8)

thisoneguy360

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 10:59:05 PM »
Did he shout out you for no reason non-stop? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »
Did he shout out you for no reason non-stop? Sorry, couldn't resist.
LOL!

Portugoal

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 12:33:31 PM »
hiphophoopla? that's worse than a lot of rappers names.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 01:15:20 PM »
Good interview bro. The site looks a little low budget atm, definitely need a better banner! You got a tracklist for Slays new album?