Author Topic: YOUR OPINION: Did Dr. Dre ghost produce on "Dogg Food"?  (Read 5923 times)

Sccit

YOUR OPINION: Did Dr. Dre ghost produce on "Dogg Food"?
« on: November 04, 2009, 09:31:05 PM »
Back in early 1995, during the height of the Death Row era, there was a buzz on the streets about Tha Dogg Pound's debut album. The majority of the album was assumed by most west coast heads to contain production from Dr. Dre. When the album was finally released, after three months of delays, many peeps were shocked to find that Dre had not been named as a producer in the credits. Dre, however, was named as an executive producer, and was credited for mixing every song on the album. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing, because the album paved the way for Daz, who was credited for most the production on the album, as a big-name west coast producer......but until this day, there are still those who claim that Dre had ghost-produced (or at the very least co-produced) a good portion of the album. When bumpin "Dogg Food", it's very hard to listen without finding trademark traces of Dre all over the production. People began making claims that Dre produced on the album, but instead gave Daz the credit, in return for Daz not being given the proper credit on "Chronic" or "Doggystyle" in the past.......Nobody will ever know the 100% truth behind the story of "Dogg Food's" production, but we can always assume...who here has no doubt in their mind that Dre produced on "Dogg Food" and who denies it til this very day?

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
Re: YOUR OPINION: Did Dr. Dre ghost produce on "Dogg Food"?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 09:34:48 PM »
imo Dre must've. Daz hasn't made beats like that since.

scarface2oh4

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:35:06 PM »
naw those beats aint good enough to be done by Dre.

mikeOG

• Quadruple OG
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 09:45:33 PM »
i'd say dre mixed it and added some stuff to make it sound more g-funk/funky. still had that hardcore Dogg Pound feel tho and thats probably daz's doing

so daz = beats
dre = mixing and adding some instruments.

album sounds clean as hell

Blood$

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 09:49:56 PM »
classic album that I haven't bumped in a minute... about to light one and get on that  8)

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 09:53:30 PM »
i think its stupid to assume that. why would we ever assume dr dre ghostproduced something when most of us have doubts if he produced most of his own songs?

the beats sound like daz not dr dre. the beats sound simplistic and one layered like they were a step in daz's production evolving. compare it to the rich sounds of cant see me it sounds nothing like it. d.o.c. says he finds the dogg food beats boring even. i like them but i can see where hes coming from. i dont think they're even close to dres standard at the time.

and plus dre didn't even really fuck with piano at the time. theres a handful of piano based songs (dream about gettin paid, dp gangstaz) daz was into piano around that time. he went on to produce ambitionz and amerikkkaz most wanted just one year later. dre wasnt into piano at the time look at cant see me or cali love. he was doing the synth thing and dogg pound isnt that synth heavy.

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 09:59:11 PM »
i think its stupid to assume that. why would we ever assume dr dre ghostproduced something when most of us have doubts if he produced most of his own songs?

the beats sound like daz not dr dre. the beats sound simplistic and one layered like they were a step in daz's production evolving. compare it to the rich sounds of cant see me it sounds nothing like it. d.o.c. says he finds the dogg food beats boring even. i like them but i can see where hes coming from. i dont think they're even close to dres standard at the time.

and plus dre didn't even really fuck with piano at the time. theres a handful of piano based songs (dream about gettin paid, dp gangstaz) daz was into piano around that time. he went on to produce ambitionz and amerikkkaz most wanted just one year later. dre wasnt into piano at the time look at cant see me or cali love. he was doing the synth thing and dogg pound isnt that synth heavy.

I disagree.. many of the beats on "Dogg Food" are layered nicely and sound a lot more complex than a good portion of Daz beats that came after that album. As for the piano, Dre was fuckin with the piano even back in the NWA days, so I dunno what you're talkin about.

thisoneguy360

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 10:11:01 PM »
It's a strong possibility..like you said we'll never know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out he did.

sofdark

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 10:27:41 PM »
the album does sound mad nice

acgrundy

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 10:37:57 PM »
Back in early 1995, during the height of the Death Row era, there was a buzz on the streets about Tha Dogg Pound's debut album.

LOL...how old were you in 1995?  I'm sure you knew all about the buzz on the streets while sleeping in your crib...

There is no doubt at all that Dre had NOTHING to do w/ Retaliation, Revenge, and Get Back, and the production on there is top notch, so no I don't think that Dre ghost produced the album.  If Dre had anything to do with producing the album then he for sure would have gotten credit for it.  Many claim he has gotten credit for stuff he wasn't really involved with, so why would he not take credit for something?  Also, Can't C Me was removed because Daz didn't want any Dre production on the album.

eNgIeS

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 11:13:31 PM »
I think while Daz (& Soopafly reportedly, out of his own and daz's mouth) made the beats, I reckon Dre produced alot of em. He mixed them and probably layered them. I think Michell'e spoke recently that Lets Play House was her song produced by Dre.

RR & GB, no matter how many people wanna say it, is not as well produced as Dogg Food. Sure it was a good album but definately not as layered as Dogg Food. Plus theres alot of signature Dre sounds in some of the songs. I dont think Dre did it all but I wouldnt be suprized if he did Lets Play House among other songs

Daz is also the person who came out sayin he did this and that on Doggystyle and his own cousin came out and blasted wat Daz said out of the water. Why would Snoop lie about that when it involves his own blood.

dpgkingpin

• 'G'
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 11:23:55 PM »

Well both Cant C Me and Cali Love are piano-based songs, as are a bulk of the dre beats on the aftermath compilation. So I wouldnt use that as a valid argument

U.N.T.O.U.C.H.A.B.L.E.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 11:46:04 PM »
imo Dre must've. Daz hasn't made beats like that since.

actually the closest daz came to the dogg food sound was the retaliation album

Muhfukka

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 11:56:58 PM »
backi n early 95 you were a little jewish kid who didnt know what death row records was

U.N.T.O.U.C.H.A.B.L.E.

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 11:57:49 PM »
backi n early 95 you were a little jewish kid who didnt know what death row records was

then u woke up