Author Topic: YOUR OPINION: Did Dr. Dre ghost produce on "Dogg Food"?  (Read 5917 times)

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: YOUR OPINION: Did Dr. Dre ghost produce on "Dogg Food"?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 12:17:43 AM »
Back in early 1995, during the height of the Death Row era, there was a buzz on the streets about Tha Dogg Pound's debut album. The majority of the album was assumed by most west coast heads to contain production from Dr. Dre. When the album was finally released, after three months of delays, many peeps were shocked to find that Dre had not been named as a producer in the credits. Dre, however, was named as an executive producer, and was credited for mixing every song on the album. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing, because the album paved the way for Daz, who was credited for most the production on the album, as a big-name west coast producer......but until this day, there are still those who claim that Dre had ghost-produced (or at the very least co-produced) a good portion of the album. When bumpin "Dogg Food", it's very hard to listen without finding trademark traces of Dre all over the production. People began making claims that Dre produced on the album, but instead gave Daz the credit, in return for Daz not being given the proper credit on "Chronic" or "Doggystyle" in the past.......Nobody will ever know the 100% truth behind the story of "Dogg Food's" production, but we can always assume...who here has no doubt in their mind that Dre produced on "Dogg Food" and who denies it til this very day?
homie how old are you...look and listen rookie..dre i repeat had nothing to do with the makeing of (DOGG FOO)from suge knight to daz to snoop to kurupt ALL say so..go back in past articals..mixed by dre okhe gets cred..daz evens says they had to break his fucking arm(figur of speech)to just mix they shit....death row history tells us this......i know your a dr.dre fan cuzz,but lets not post up false bullshit ok....oh and daz laid down a classic album with the help from (DJ POOH)...now dre is known for not doing all his beats,FACT! 8)

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 12:19:29 AM »
and its not even a opinion.shits a fact daz is the maker of this lp.....hiphop new babies kill me.know ya history,know your history.

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 12:22:34 AM »
the album does sound mad nice
cause the albume sound nice dre did it?...i cant beleive the shit im hearing ..any real nigga that was running the streets back in 1995 knows whats up..

ironmike

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 12:23:35 AM »
imo Dre must've. Daz hasn't made beats like that since.
thats because they had ricky rouse on the guitar, carl butch small on the percussion, barney "rubble" thomas and soopafly on the keys, and daz behind the boards.
it was like a team effort, which made the beats sound real quality.

and to answer the question if dre ghost produced on the album,.... i dont think so at all. they dont sound like dre productions, and its more like dre had ghost producers helping him out on doggystyle and the chronic
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:25:23 AM by ironmike »

Okka

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 01:25:59 AM »
Snoop Dogg said that Dr. Dre did some producin on "Dogg Food" but who knows if he was tellin the truth.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 01:47:44 AM »
Respect and Lets Play House are the only "DRE" sounding beats to me from Dogg Food. So yeah he prolly helped a bit as Michelle and Snoop have said...

But Daz hasn't made anything 1/4 as good as anything on Dogg Food, not even RRGB which I thought was good not classic. And everything passed that has been ass most of the time... oh forgot bout his beats on All Eyez On Me those were as good as Dogg Food but maybe cause Quik mixed those songs??????
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:51:03 AM by West Coast Veteran »

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 02:55:47 AM »
I'm almost positive Dre did help Daz out a lot on Dogg Food with the production.Just like I'm positive Quik did the same on All Eeyz On Me and DJ Premier on Lady Of Rage's album.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

MediumL

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 03:18:12 AM »
I imagine Dres involvement in Dogg Food amounts to Daz's involvement in the Chronic and Doggystyle in terms of production.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 03:18:54 AM »
I imagine Dres involvement in Dogg Food amounts to Daz's involvement in the Chronic and Doggystyle in terms of production.
not really

kuruptDPG

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 04:11:24 AM »
Snoop Dogg said that Dr. Dre did some producin on "Dogg Food" but who knows if he was tellin the truth.

damn really? maybe leftovers but to the thread maker nah its all daz homie,completly different to dre

dnjp4life

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 04:31:05 AM »
Without a doubt Dre mixed it, thats why the album sounds so crisp and clean.  But to me, only Respect and Dogg Pound Gangstaz have that Dre vibe about them, and the rest sound like Daz/Soopafly style beats.

Maybe Daz Dilli himself would care to drop knowledge on this?  ???

Efrain

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 05:07:45 AM »
The argument about beats sounding more polished, layered and complex could be said about every producer who worked on records for Death Row back from 92-97.

Back then they had mulit-million dollar studios to work in (for free), a plethora of studio hands, junior producers, recording engineers, mixing engineers and musicians to assist them (for free), some of the most creative and talented producers in the game stumbling into their studio sessions to co-produce or otherwise contribute to their ideas etc, etc.  In addition to all that they had the immense pressure of creating music for a label that was dominating the West Coast market at the time.

Now a'days Daz makes music alone in his bedroom on his computer using Reason...a program that costs $300 bucks. So you can understand why the music sounds different.

As far as Daz's production methods are concerned, Mike Dean said that on the Dillinger and Young Gotti album all the records Daz gave him to work on just had the drums and vocals, maybe a hook or two, and he had to create the play the synths and keys. Which is consistent with what we knew of people like Soopafly's role which was to pay the keys on all Daz's stuff. It's the same thing Dre did and still does today with people like Mike Elizondo, Mauricio Iragorri, Dawaun Parker, Scott Storch, JT. Rotem et al. or whoever.

I think on Dogg Food Daz conceptualized a lot of the records and through the help of people like Soopafly, Emanuel "Porkchop" Dean, Dave Swang, Overdose and all the musicians (see Ricardo Rouse, Carl "Butch" Small etc) and a half-dozen or so recording/mixing engineers... helped Daz REALIZE the records and made them what they were.      

But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind if you dropped the Daz of 2009 in a 3 million dollar recording studio with a dozen people in it to help produce, play keys, bass and mix just like Dre has, then he could bang out another RR&GB easily.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:10:49 AM by Efrain »

YSH

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • hi
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 05:28:38 AM »
you can tell it aint dre beat

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 06:27:29 AM »
i think its stupid to assume that. why would we ever assume dr dre ghostproduced something when most of us have doubts if he produced most of his own songs?

the beats sound like daz not dr dre. the beats sound simplistic and one layered like they were a step in daz's production evolving. compare it to the rich sounds of cant see me it sounds nothing like it. d.o.c. says he finds the dogg food beats boring even. i like them but i can see where hes coming from. i dont think they're even close to dres standard at the time.

and plus dre didn't even really fuck with piano at the time. theres a handful of piano based songs (dream about gettin paid, dp gangstaz) daz was into piano around that time. he went on to produce ambitionz and amerikkkaz most wanted just one year later. dre wasnt into piano at the time look at cant see me or cali love. he was doing the synth thing and dogg pound isnt that synth heavy.

Well both Cant C Me and Cali Love are piano-based songs, as are a bulk of the dre beats on the aftermath compilation. So I wouldnt use that as a valid argument

i wouldn't call cant see me piano based. its driven by the bass and has a wide variety of instruments. dogg food has more "minimalistic" piano based beats that remind me of like bosses life, the wash, etc. i don't think dre fucked with that sound at that time. it just reminds me of like ambitionz. like uses very little else to the beat and anything that is second to a very prominent piano.
i mean it pretty much boils down to listening and hearing that daz style of beat in dogg food and not that dre style when i hear dogg food.

Okka

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 06:34:27 AM »
I hope "Dogg Pound Gangstaz (Dr. Dre Remix)" will be droppin in the future since WideAwake has it.