Author Topic: HIPHOP cover versions (NWA,Snoop,Dre,etc.) oh, and they SUCK but its still funny  (Read 738 times)

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
That cover of Bitches Ain't Shit is amazing! Love it. So funny hearing those words from white soft rock guys.

EDIT: Straight Outta Compton is legit too. Where did you get these songs from??

I was reading about cover versions on wikipedia, so i google them
Props for that. I'm seriously loving "Bitches Ain't Shit". They should have put that out as a single, LOL.

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
Wow! I just realized that the Ben Folds version of "Bitches Ain't Shit" WAS infact a single - it even reached #71 on the Billboard Hot 100. I wonder how the "clean" version sounded.

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
OMFG:

Invincible

smp4life

SMP cover Prophets of Rage by Public Enemy:

http://www.smphq.com/Sounds/smp_prophetsofrage.mp3

Triple OG Rapsodie

This song made me lol

a joke song of a joke song.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
This song made me lol

a joke song of a joke song.

It is funny, but a little different. Bitches Ain't Shit and some of the other covers are mocking silly lyrics taken seriously by the rappers. ODB made a great comedy song. The punk version only simplified it for white audiences but Dirty's version was way better, and way funnier. I don't think the band in question is mocking Dirty, and if they are then they are stupid and don't get the song to begin with.

Triple OG Rapsodie

I don't really think Bitches Ain't Shit and Boyz in the Hood are supposed to be taken seriously. Bitches ain't shit is a diss song, and Boyz in the Hood is pretty obviously supposed to be funny, just from the lyrics and the fact that they had the guy with the kid's voice rap the lyrics. The only serious song is I Need Love and I don't really see how he's making fun of LL Cool J, considering the lyrics are no worse than your average pop love song.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I don't really think Bitches Ain't Shit and Boyz in the Hood are supposed to be taken seriously. Bitches ain't shit is a diss song, and Boyz in the Hood is pretty obviously supposed to be funny, just from the lyrics and the fact that they had the guy with the kid's voice rap the lyrics. The only serious song is I Need Love and I don't really see how he's making fun of LL Cool J, considering the lyrics are no worse than your average pop love song.

Maybe, maybe not. I can't speak on the mindsets of Cube, Easy, Dre, Daz, Snoop, or Kurupt, but ODB's track was definitely a satire from inception. I'm not saying that the Deathrow stuff wasn't also trying to be funny but I think it was trying to be seen as very tough as well. Boyz in the Hood on the other hand is pretty clear cut comedy that Easy was known for through out all of his solo albums, so you're right about that one. Easy hada great sense of humor and a real tongue and cheek approach to his rap style. You're right about that one. I also don't think Hack was mocking the song with their cover. In fact it may have been chosen on purpose to use one of the first gangster rap songs, that was written in jest, to mock the whole genre that started taking itself way too seriously in years to follow Boyz.

With regards to I Need Love and average pop love songs; Average pop love songs have terrible lyrics that need making fun of too.

David Gutterman

found another one

Mindless Self Indulgence - Big Poppa (BIG)

http://www.zshare.net/download/682196851faba006/

Triple OG Rapsodie

A fucking terrible version of Ice Cube's wicked:

I don't see the point in this. All he does is take away Cube's flow and talk over the beat in an annoying voice.

Invincible

Nima posted this one before,but shit is classic.... so here it is again;

Bitches Ain't Shit - A Cappella

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TjNNxnKVEpQ&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TjNNxnKVEpQ&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

DeCadence (an A Cappella group at UC Berkeley) sings Ben Folds version of Bitches Ain't Shit.

Already been posted in the thread.

Invincible

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Here are some actual decent covers RATM not done to mock

And of course there's this fucking classic, although I'm not sure if it really counts as a cover;