Author Topic: Best West Coast Alternative Hip-Hop Song  (Read 1104 times)

2euce 7even

Best West Coast Alternative Hip-Hop Song
« on: November 05, 2009, 08:14:36 AM »
Which One Would It Be?

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: Best West Coast Alternative Hip-Hop Song
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 12:33:19 PM »
Mastermind - Deltron

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 01:10:47 PM »
93 Til Infinity - Souls Of Mischief

Worst Comes To Worst - Dilated Peoples

Definitely something from the Hiero camp, or Dilated

ktothac

• 'G'
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:14:49 PM »
or gift of gab
or jurassic 5
or people under the stairs
or freestyle fellowship
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:31:57 AM by ktothac »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 02:16:43 PM »
West Coast Alternative hip hop >> West Coast Gangsta hip hop

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 05:25:33 PM »
West Coast Alternative rap >> West Coast Gangster rap

sure  ;D

alternative rap has been thriving since the early 90s. I can't say the same for gangsta rap. Its rather played out imo, and there aren't very many standout "gangsta rappers".
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:32:36 PM by Rapsodie »

dert mcgert

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 10:18:19 PM »
Blu - The Narrow Path

8)

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 12:40:32 AM »

sure  ;D

alternative rap has been thriving since the early 90s. I can't say the same for gangster rap.
Its rather played out IMO, and there aren't very many standout "gangster rappers".

There ain't that many standout alternative rappers either.

What are you smoking? If anything, the alternative scene is even better than it was in the 90s, with the internet and indie rappers being able to gain exposure outside of their local areas.

Outkast, Pharoahe Monche, Slug, MURS, MIA, Doom, Aceyalone, Mika 9, Gift of Gab, Zion I, and that's just a few off the top of my head, doesn't even touch the surface.

Chad Vader

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »

sure  ;D

alternative rap has been thriving since the early 90s. I can't say the same for gangster rap.
Its rather played out IMO, and there aren't very many standout "gangster rappers".

What are you smoking?
If anything, the alternative scene is even better than it was in the 90s, with the internet and indie alternative rappers being able to gain exposure outside of their local areas.

Outkast, Pharaoh Monche, Slug, MURS, MIA, Doom, Aceyalone, Mika 9, Gift of Gab, Zion I,
and that's just a few off the top of my head, doesn't even touch the surface.

On what level are we talking?
Because if you bring Outkast in the mix,you got bring in the million and one gangster pop rappers too.
And why did you bring in Outkast,Pharaoh Monche and so on into to the mix;?

:idea: West Coast Alternative rap  :idea: >>  :idea: West Coast Gangster rap  :idea:

Anyway on a national level both scenes got it's mainstream and underground heroes.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 02:27:40 PM »

sure  ;D

What are you smoking?
If anything, the alternative scene is even better than it was in the 90s, with the internet and indie alternative rappers being able to gain exposure outside of their local areas.

Outkast, Pharaoh Monche, Slug, MURS, MIA, Doom, Aceyalone, Mika 9, Gift of Gab, Zion I,

Because if you bring Outkast in the mix,you got bring in the million and one gangster pop rappers too.

:idea: West Coast Alternative rap  :idea: >>  :idea: West Coast Gangster rap  :idea:

Anyway on a national level both scenes got it's mainstream and underground heroes.

Outkast and Pharoahe Monch are considered alternative rappers.

Gangsta pop rappers are exactly that...gangsta pop. They have nothing in common with either outkast or monche. I'm not sure you quite understand what alternative rap is.

Gangsta rap is practically dead on the mainstream level, and what's there is pitiful compared to how it was in the 90s. The underground scene is a little bit better, but the whole new west movement is pretty much a joke with dudes getting signed and never releasing albums. The mainstream heroes have fallen off and the underground heroes (at least on here) are mostly mixtape rappers.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 02:47:25 PM by Rapsodie »

2euce 7even

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 02:35:38 PM »
alt. hip-hop is NO gangsta shit plus some experimental sounds.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »

Close but not quite. Basically it doesn't fit into the norm, isn't one of the established hip hop genres. IE not gangsta rap, not club rap, not boom bap. I get the feeling Vader thinks you have to sound like Common to be alternative  ;D

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 02:59:08 PM »

Close but not quite. Basically it doesn't fit into the norm, isn't one of the established hip hop genres. IE not gangsta rap, not club rap, not boom bap. I get the feeling Vader thinks you have to sound like Common to be alternative  ;D

Hey young kid.... I´m pretty sure PH knows more about Hip Hop than you  ;) So take it a little easy there now kid  ;D

I haven't been a kid in years. Do you resort to saying that every time someone kicks more knowledge than you?

Chad Vader

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 03:25:22 PM »

sure  ;D

What are you smoking?

:idea: West Coast Alternative rap  :idea: >>  :idea: West Coast Gangster rap  :idea:

Outkast and Pharoahe Monch are considered alternative rappers.

Gangstaer pop rappers are exactly that...gangstaer pop.
They have nothing in common with either outkast or monche. I'm not sure you quite understand what alternative rap is.

Where did I say that Outkast and Pharoah Monch ain't alternative?  :P
Again I have to point out;

So lets get back on track,ok?  ;)

Gangstaer rap is practically dead on the mainstream level, and what's there is pitiful compared to how it was in the 90s.
The underground scene is a little bit better, but the whole new west movement is pretty much a joke with dudes getting signed and never releasing albums. The mainstream heroes have fallen off and the underground heroes (at least on here) are mostly mixtape rappers.

On topic;

Other than Black Eyed Peas,what other alternative rappers is doing it big from the West Coast?

The underground scene is alive and kicking in all camps (Hip Hop,Alternative and Gangster rappers)

But again I replied to;

IMO... there is NO question that in the history of West Coast rap,it has produced better gangster rap than alternative rap.
Is the current (West Coast) gangster rap scene better than the alternative scene?
Hard to say,both has released dope shit... IMO they're pretty equal in 200+

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 03:37:51 PM »

Hey young kid.... I´m pretty sure PH knows more about Hip Hop than you  ;) So take it a little easy there now kid  ;D

I haven't been a kid in years. Do you resort to saying that every time someone kicks more knowledge than you?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Stay on topic please  ;)

Are you talking to yourself?