Author Topic: What got y'all into hip-hop? Who were your early favorites?  (Read 252 times)

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
What got y'all into hip-hop? Who were your early favorites?
« on: November 16, 2002, 12:40:39 AM »
How did you first hear it?

Just wondering, I'm assuming that the majority of heads hear got into hip-hop via the west coast vibe, but not all of you did i'm sure.  I had heard hip-hop before, Eric B & Rakim, LL, Beasties and Tribe... probably some other stuff... i even had a LL tape way back when, but the west coast sound is what made me decide i wanted to make a more concerted effort to hear new stuff and find old stuff (niether of which was hard to do where i grew up).... i grew up on Snoop, Warren, Cube, DPG etc... but also on ATCQ, Rakim, Public Enemy and Nas... what about y'all?

Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:What got y'all into hip-hop? Who were your early favorites?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2002, 01:21:34 AM »
I got into it with The Chronic in '93.  That shit blew me away.  I was pure westcoast until I heard "Juicy" then got Ready To Die.  Then I just keep branching out and listening to everything.  I got all kinds of albums now from Tribe to Rakim to Devin to NWA to Wu-Tang to Ras Kass...

Ten years later I got about 170 albums.  I love this shit.

infinite59

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2002, 03:57:39 AM »
SNOOP DOGGY DOGG.  I tell this story everytime.  I was at an Missouri University basketball camp, 11 years old.  Summer of 93.  And Wit a Dre Day is BLOWIN up on MTV.  They are playing the video all day in the break room at camp.  All the kids, older highschool dudes are running around chanting, "Bow Wow Wow Yippee Yo Yippeee Yea Snoop Dogg's in the Muthafuckin House!!!!".

I was a hip-hop head for life.  Snoop was amazing to me.  How he just kicked back in the background of Dre's video's.  He acted just like a regular dude who didn't even care if he was a star or not he was just kickin it.  It was so unique I started looking for all the Dre and Snoop cd's I could find.  I thought they were a rap group.  I couldn't understand why Snoop's picture wasn't on the cover of The Chronic.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2002, 03:58:18 AM by Infinite Ibrahim Abdul Hamid »

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2002, 05:09:25 AM »
i was a kid watchin "who am i" on tv i just loved snoops style.. i had a cypress hill tape, a ice t tape (the one with the P.A. warning at the beginning) and just loved it..

Black Pack

• Lil Geezy
  • whaat?
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2002, 10:28:41 AM »
I've been listening to Hip Hop for as long as I can remember. Growing up, one of my elder brothers was producing and the other was emceeing. And this was early 80s. But my early favorites were Tribe, De La, PE, Run DMC, LL (The early LL), Slick Rick, BDP, Schooly D,  Stetsasonic, Kool Moe, Doug E Fresh, Bambaataa,  Kurtis Blow, Funky Four Plus One, Grand Master Flash,  etc...

"Blew the whole shit up on some 'what this button do ?'" - MF Doom
"Ignorance is an option, not genetic"-Aphter LyphE7

Murrow

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2002, 12:44:56 PM »
Well...I remember certain memories of Snoop & Dre back in the day.  I remember "What's My Name" and "Keep Tha Heads Ringin" a lot though.  First rap CD I really got was "Puff Daddy & The Family."  Yup.

krazyk

• 'G'
  • East, West, every state, c'mon, bury the hate! -MASE
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2002, 03:03:40 PM »
i'm not gonna lie, hammer was prolly who started it for me, way back in grade school, and my mom wouldn't let me get any cds with parental advisory, so for a while it was hammer, but after that in middle school bone thugs, snoop, dre, wu-tang, LL, Pac
"Get my drink on, and my smoke on, then go home with somethin to poke on"- Dr. Dre

IKON

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Pharoahe - God's Gift to Vocabulary BIOTCH!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2002, 03:23:07 PM »
damn this is bringing up some old memories,
I basically grew up with these guys

Too Short - Life is Too Short
The DOC
Kid N Play(remember them LOL)
The DOC (still classic till now)
Eazy E
NWA
RUN DMC
Kool Moe Dee(i remember that song Wild Wild West lol

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2002, 03:49:43 PM »
Death Row Records all there albums up into the time they fell apart but especially The Chronic and Doggystyle and All Eyez On Me

S.G.V.

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2002, 03:51:15 PM »
i had always heard hip hop in the late 80s...but it wasnt til Deep Cover that i became hooked...the moment i heard that bass line i was an addict...

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2002, 05:13:12 PM »
Watching Run DMC "Walk This Way" on MTV. I was a huge Michael Jackson fan and still am but he was all I listened to when I was a kid until I heard that Run DMC track. My brother copped Raising Hell and I listened to it as well. LL Cool J dropped "I Need Love" and Bigger And Deffer became the first album I copped alone. I will never forget that day.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2002, 09:25:07 PM »
Man, I've always been into hip-hop since the late 80's with Eazy-E, LL Cool J and Big Daddy Kane, then in the early 90's I grew into South Central Cartel, and Hi-C and 2nd II None, but it was when I heard Lighter Shade Of Brown that I was addicted to hip-hop, and I could relate. The Death Row era followed, but I was big into Cypress Hill, Kid Frost, and Mellow Man Ace. Later, Slow Pain, JV, and ALT, but Lighter Shade of Brown got me hard. When I saw them preform, I was really hooked.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2002, 09:52:50 AM »
I remember the whole Vanilla Ice & Hammer days but I didn't get into what I consider to be 'real' hip-hop until about '93. My brother was into hip-hop back then and I remember getting into Snoop and Dre, then into 2Pac when he had "Keep Ya Head Up" out. My tastes have progressed from there really.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2002, 10:38:35 AM »
snoop made me fall in luv with rap

alwayz into something was the first hip hop song i luved
but g thang took it to the next level
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2002, 10:39:58 AM »
 First rap CD I really got was "Puff Daddy & The Family."  Yup.

horrible man....just horrible...
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll