Author Topic: u know it's poison that black folks have labels to look at like "deathrow"  (Read 694 times)

BiggBoogaBiff

records and other rappers and movies stars to be a reference point of success.  im drunk right now and it got me thinkin when i heard and saw that "one more day" video by Nate.  im thinkin like Damn, iz this wat i have to reference to when im in trouble or feeling depressed about shit.  like why couldn't i have had the Marvin Gaye records as a reference point?  too bad niggaz is curropted the way we are.....

*finishes guzzling the 40 of Keystone*

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:01:45 PM by 301-703-202-410 »

The Overfiend

Re: u know it's poison that black folks have labels to look at like "deathrow"
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 11:38:42 PM »
I understand man. People like the imagery because its entertainment, the question is- is it keeping it real?

You know rappers purposefully build and act-up their criminal persona because the people like the outlaw thing. Every-society has its celebrated outlaws.

Rappers discovered this and this is where they invest their energy, 2Pac for instance was a thespian, the man originally studied on-stage theatre in New York...

Its important for the children to have a variety of influences and moral vantage points from where to develop a well-rounded understanding of the world and its beauty and horror, not just cartoon network gangsta-rap and crunk music. Its entirely up to parents and care-givers to understand these things and raise the kids with the right knowledge...

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 07:26:40 AM »
^ u cant blame everything on parents tho.  i mean just recently black folks have gotten a make over with Obama and movies like Pride and shit like that (even Cleveland from Family Guy got his own show now lol- i love that shit too).  there's just not enough good characters and shows in society that r "black".  America has always loved the rebels but what im saying is there aren't enough other things out there to look at.  Back in the day you had that show "recess" and the ONLY black guy was a sports player, and then u only had shows like "little bill" to follow up and the rest was white kids.  White folks have always had the good roles (im not ranting here), whether it's entertainment or other things for/in society in general.  there needs to be more "black" in hollywood and in education, there's simply not enuff.  when i think of success i think of entertainers & my father (lucky me) and just recently Barack, other than them i have no1 else to see really.  Roland Martin can't do it for me (he's an entertainer at the end of the day anyways) and *im drawing a blank here* and i cant really think of nobody besides King and them which is sad bcuz when u think of them u think of Glory but at the end it's a sad story...

look at that movie "Precious" it's just another sad story of a black person.  why couldn't it be a fairy tale or based on a "happy" story.  we finally gettin a black princess in Disney but damn tho (it's still entertainment).  white folks got managers and ceos to look at or top execs in companies that dont have to deal with food or music.  i could go on...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:29:06 AM by 301-703-202-410 »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 01:06:51 AM »
records and other rappers and movies stars to be a reference point of success.  im drunk right now and it got me thinkin when i heard and saw that "one more day" video by Nate.  im thinkin like Damn, iz this wat i have to reference to when im in trouble or feeling depressed about shit.  like why couldn't i have had the Marvin Gaye records as a reference point?  too bad niggaz is curropted the way we are.....

What's wrong with "One More Day" by Nate Dogg?  You can feel him on that joint talkin about real life struggle.  I don't know that much about Marvin Gaye but I think he mostly sang love songs and I think the world has enough of those already.  We should appreciate that Nate Dogg was making some songs about struggle and not just singing about being in the club.

Also, you miss the whole concept of rap and Death Row Records and what it was about back in the 90's.  Because it's no different then classic masculine forms of expression that have been around since the beginning of time.  For example, being a Muslim I've studied a lot about middle age history.  Like males in all ages of history, they used to compete, to be the so-called "King of the Jungle" like the Lion.  This is part of the nature of man to strive to be the king lion of the jungle.

The way ancient Arabs and even Europeans (as seen in the popular Leonardo Dicaprio movie "Man In The Iron Mask") would compete amongst each other and prove who was the greatest amongst them, was in both poetry and weaponry.  So the most revered Arab of the middle ages would be the one who was the best at reciting poetry and also the best with the sword (bravery).  

Hip-hop is the same way.  You have to be the bravest with your sword (gun) and be the most poetic, and you become the baddest dude in the hood.  This is the masculine expression of our animal nature to be the LION, the King of the Jungle.  Snoop was the King for a while, then 2pac was the king.  These are masculine forms of expression and they are at the very root of our existence as males. 

But the shit rappers do today about being in the club and all that bullshit is just for bitches to listen to.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 06:00:35 AM »
the hard shit could've been expressed/visualized in a different form.  it's not just hip hop, it's everywhere, clothes, potatoe chips (no bullshit), movies, ALL of our stories (just about).  the bullshit happens every day but the world would be a lil better for black folks without the MC Eiht's and Eshams. 

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 09:07:58 AM »

To be honest I think it's poison that a celebrity should be an idol since we all know the world of politics and celebrity is something of an illusion when in fact the inspiration should come from the people around them and not the people they see on tv who are just fake and have to maintain a certain image, whether that's to sell records, sell votes, or to sell tickets.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 11:09:02 AM »

To be honest I think it's poison that a celebrity should be an idol since we all know the world of politics and celebrity is something of an illusion when in fact the inspiration should come from the people around them and not the people they see on tv who are just fake and have to maintain a certain image, whether that's to sell records, sell votes, or to sell tickets.

Obama is a great idol and inspiration, heh?
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 12:27:47 PM »

Obama is a lil different but in some ways your right.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 11:03:38 AM »
Labels like Deathrow (etc) themselves arent the poison. The poison is the mindset that success is only available by becoming a rapper, entertainer, athlete, etc.  Its natural for people to develop that mindset when they are forced into an environment where they are only allowed to succeed through one of these avenues. Even though its 2009, and you can become whatever you want now. You cant simply erase a mindset that has plagued Black people for so long.  White people look up to shit like the Godfather, Italian Mafia, etc.  But it doesnt make them think they have to become a mobster to be successful.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

the ghost

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »
the hard shit could've been expressed/visualized in a different form.  it's not just hip hop, it's everywhere, clothes, potatoe chips (no bullshit), movies, ALL of our stories (just about).  the bullshit happens every day but the world would be a lil better for black folks without the MC Eiht's and Eshams. 

Why?  Do you think white kids would be better off if there was no Pink floyd, or Rolling stones?

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 06:10:38 PM »

I was mainly just sayin that to get under Virtuoso's skin

Obama is a lil different but in some ways your right.