Author Topic: should it be mandatory to speak the language of the country you wish to live in?  (Read 966 times)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
should you need to speak the language of the country you want to live in vs takin advantage of that country and get away wit not speakin the language and take advantage of the services?

reason i ask is cuz i asked this female (who happens to be mexican but has a white name IMO)
and i asked everyone else in the room who wasnt mexican but her

so the only person gettin offended was the mexican person....coincidence maybe? lol

i asked everyone the same question
only person to get offended was her and she said not all mexicans are that way
but alot of them are if not a majority of them
its not english bein the language of this country anymore, but its spanish
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:19:11 AM by GET YOUR WALK ON »
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

BiggBoogaBiff

i think you should, it only makes sense.  i know if i moved 2 Mexico or China i gotsta learn that shit or else i aint staying for long.  that's how u get got

• Muthafuckin' Don!
damn you actually made sense for once
but yeah jus seems like certain races...i guess mainly hispanics are tryna jus get it made as easy for them all the way
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

BiggBoogaBiff

damn you actually made sense for once
but yeah jus seems like certain races...i guess mainly hispanics are tryna jus get it made as easy for them all the way

every race has their own ignorance

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
What do you think is going to happen when the 3rd, 4th generation latinos grow up?  You think they will speak Spanish more than English?  It's a non-issue.  I already have cousins that hardly speak Spanish and have trouble understanding the language.  You think their kids will even know how to say a word in Spanish?  Most likely not, unless they take Spanish classes in High School.  Forcing a country to make everyone speak a certain language is backward thinking IMO. It should be encouraged to speak more than one language. 

• Muthafuckin' Don!
nah im not sayin everyone should be forced to speak one language...never said that and thats not what i meant
im sayin the mexicans  (in this case before anyone hispanics get offended) seems like they dont want to learn the language in which most people in this country speak but want everythin this country has to offer

alot of people will tell you most of the time its hispanics that dont know how to speak or understand the language thats spoke over here except maybe the dollar sign of course
Cube

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
nah im not sayin everyone should be forced to speak one language...never said that and thats not what i meant
im sayin the mexicans  (in this case before anyone hispanics get offended) seems like they dont want to learn the language in which most people in this country speak but want everythin this country has to offer

alot of people will tell you most of the time its hispanics that dont know how to speak or understand the language thats spoke over here except maybe the dollar sign of course

Again, I point to the fact that 3rd, 4th, and eventually 5th generation latinos will not know Spanish as well as they know English, this is key right here because eventually the younger crowd will be larger, think about the future effects of it.  It's a non-issue.  There might be people pretending that they don't know English just to avoid talking to people lol.  My dad who knows English very well gets telemarketer calls where he tells them, "I don't speak English" just to avoid them. 

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
i think you should, it only makes sense.  i know if i moved 2 Mexico or China i gotsta learn that shit or else i aint staying for long.  that's how u get got
Word up.

This is America speak English. :D

If I done moved to China, I'd think it'd be my responsibility to learn Chinese.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

I dont think it should ever be MANDATORY. But if you come from another country, you also shouldnt expect that people adapt to YOU.  If I went to Mexico, and didnt speak any Spanish Id fully expect to not be able to communicate with anybody.  The government cant make it mandatory though, thats bullshit. Bein here in SD, I always hate when Mexicans come accross get pissed cus you dont speak Spanish lol. 
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

the ghost

It should be encouraged to speak more than one language. 

I like this thought.  the two years we Americans have to take in HS is b.s.  Other countries have kids taking 6-8 years of English.  Look at all the posters here from other countries that you would never know they weren't native speakers until you see the soccer pics;)

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

I like this thought.  the two years we Americans have to take in HS is b.s.  Other countries have kids taking 6-8 years of English.  Look at all the posters here from other countries that you would never know they weren't native speakers until you see the soccer pics;)

I think our schools need to work on teaching kids how to speak English first lol
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor

I like this thought. the two years we Americans have to take in HS is b.s.  Other countries have kids taking 6-8 years of English.  Look at all the posters here from other countries that you would never know they weren't native speakers until you see the soccer pics;)

The important thing is to start as early as possible. In the first 4-5 years, kids can learn any language. After that, they slowly lose the ability  due to changes in the brain.  Starting to learn a language in High School is bullshit.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow

For real. How the hell do all these outta-country posters speak fluent English....even better than us. :-\

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
mandatory?  no. 

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
I think it's up to the country to decide what the best interests of the country are with regards to language. In Canada the government deemed it law to promote the french language on the english side of the country in order for Canadians to remember the french roots of Canada. But if you live outside of Quebec you almost never speak french and can't understand a lick of it. So making a language law doesn't really mean anything.

Javier was right when he said it really means nothing in the end. The children of immigrants are usually fluent in the language of the country and their children can barely speak the old language period. I'm Greek and in Toronto most Greeks are either immigrants or children of immigrants. We speak Greek here very well. In Greek town the street signs have Greek names underneath the English signs but I can't think of one Greek/Canadian I know that grew up here whose Greek is better than his English. And the Greeks I meet from outside Toronto or from the US, the young adults, often speak no Greek at all. I met Greek family from Denver once last summer. They decided to visit the Church and I see what looked like an old Greek man with his grandchildren I greeted him in Greek "γειά σου θείο. Τι κάνεις". Him and the kids looked at me like I was an alien. In their Greek churches it's all English. The old guy was born in Chicago and moved to Denver. This guys dad fought off the Italians for Greece in WW2, and later the communists, just like my grandfather, but he couldn't speak a lick of it; growing up in Illinois and Colorado.