Author Topic: Lil Keke "Birds Fly South" REVIEW  (Read 77 times)

Myrealname

Lil Keke "Birds Fly South" REVIEW
« on: November 19, 2002, 03:58:08 AM »
from downsouth.com

"The latest effort from Lil Keke done been out for a hot minute but what´s the album all about? Is Keke still the half man half-amazing rapper we came to love years ago?
  To start off the album S.U.C.´s finest has the title track. A great song and album opener, real southern beat laced with a small acoustic guitar twist. He delivers what he should here!

“Ballin” with Rally Boys and Kottonmouth is lovely. Okay when you read the title on the back of the cover you be like, “man could he have come up with a less original song title?” well – no, but while the topic might be everything but new and uncovered the beat itself is on some year 2003 shit. It got a real southern ground to stand on and from there they add some futuristic stuff, hard to explain but it´s just really good. Like Keke say “a beautiful thang!”  

“Prostitute” is somewhat a small disappointment to me. Not a hot beat and the topic about how he like all prostitutes don´t feel so damn hot either, sorry but the don didn´t deliver a good song here! But on the other hand the real life song

“Far To Go” is very promising, he be rapping about how he done made it far already but still has a long way to go. He is talking bout the past and all. The chorus are straight; “all I know is hustling and striving and feeling pain/each and every day I´m surviving stucked in the game/gotta get this money/this cash that´s all I know/done came a long way but got far to go!”

“Shake Somethin” is for the club heads, okay song but nothing extra to be found on song 5. “On The Grind” features Archie Lee & Lil C is a real Keke type of track. All there mic holders get there shine on. What might be even more of a Keke song to some peeps is

“Dreamin” which have chorus handled by a lady that I don´t know the name on since they don´t care to tell us. Anyhow the song is on point, laid back. Can´t help it, I just drop my top and let the damn rain in, even though it´s better if you press play to this song on a sunny day, but still, that´s the type of song this is!

“Here We Go Again” is just that - he rap over a typical beat, now that ain´t bad - not at all! Your typical Keke beat is a really good beat. All I´m saying is that it´s not an outstanding song but cool – sure!

“Rumors” is of course dedicated to them folks that be spreading lies bout Da Don. Song features Big T, but I wish he had brought Big Moe in instead but sure T does his thing singing and all but Moe does is better ya know!

“I´m A G” bring us a high energy rapping Keke not that laid back. Even though I wouldn´t compare to a crunk ATL rapper I however can describe his delivery somewhat like he´s heading in that direction.

After a song like that we need to get laid back again people so Big T comes in again to deliver some chorus singing on “Love and Understood” a good song!

One of my personal Keke favorites, and fav rap songs ever to be honest is a song from 97 I think of a Poetic 1 compilation, called “Smoke With Me” well guess what they remixed it and put it out again in 2002 on this tape right here. But since I love the old version so damn much it´s hard to top it, I like this version as well no doubt, probably the best song on the album but it´s more up tempo then the original. And smoke songs shouldn’t be too up-tempo to me but anyhow this is a lovely thang!

“Houston Finest” starts of with a few R.I.P. shout outs to Screw and Fat Pat and then he get his rhyme on in a really good way I must say. Kind of bouncy delivery here, but I sure feel it and are positive you will too! Just give this song a chance! To end this new effort he got a original version and a screwed version of the song “Nuthin But Love” which has been dedicated to Screw and Fat Pat again, He talks about the pain after the loose of close friends. A good way to end the album – however this is not a slow “make you cry” beat more of an up-tempo Texas Keke beat.

So – is Da Youngest Don still on point? Well this is not his best effort, don´t want to call it his worst either since it´s not a bad album. But if he keep em coming in 5 years from now when we have 10 Keke solo´s or so this will not be the one new fans will start their collection with if you know what I mean? Still if you´re a Keke fan, SUC fan or just want a okay southern album sure pick it up. But don´t listen to it with expectations of being blown away like you was by the new Scarface, just bump the damn tape and let it be what it is – period! "

S.G.V.

Re:Lil Keke "Birds Fly South" REVIEW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2002, 09:32:53 AM »
ima get this KeKe never dissapoints me...