Author Topic: Upcoming Westcoast Rappers Are Upset Radio Station Power 106....  (Read 869 times)

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
Re: Upcoming Westcoast Rappers Are Upset Radio Station Power 106....
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 04:01:42 PM »
maybe they should just focus on making good music and building a fan base that way instead of wanting to get radio play. 

they could be dropping classics and these stations like power 106 STILL won't play them, how then are they supposed to eat?
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 04:06:25 PM »
maybe they should just focus on making good music and building a fan base that way instead of wanting to get radio play. 

they could be dropping classics and these stations like power 106 STILL won't play them, how then are they supposed to eat?

if their shit is hot like that, then they will have no problem filling up a club.  and thats where a rapper/singer/performer makes their money.  and thats how they eat.

word of mouth is the best promotion.  look at tech nine, ive NEVER heard one of his songs on the rado but he sells hundreds of thousands of albums and is the headliner on 99.999% of tours.

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 04:14:06 PM »

if their shit is hot like that, then they will have no problem filling up a club.  and thats where a rapper/singer/performer makes their money.  and thats how they eat.

word of mouth is the best promotion.  look at tech nine, ive NEVER heard one of his songs on the rado but he sells hundreds of thousands of albums and is the headliner on 99.999% of tours.

so it's cool that there is no west music being played in the west radios?
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 09:12:31 PM »
intelligent hip-hop/club songs is the present

how can u put intelligent and club song in the same sentence muhahahahahahahaha

You're missing my point. Those are the 2 types of hip hop that sell and appeal at the moment. Either you go for the club bangers (Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane, half the south) or that intelligent/intellectual route (Lupe Fiasco, Kanye sometimes, Wale, Drake, Kid Cudi, etc). I'm not saying they are one in the same or even similar, because obviously they are not even close to being the same type of hip hop.

They are however much different than a style of hip hop, and that is the 90's Death Row/Gangsta/NWA sound that the West Coast can't evolve or get away from.

Does that make more sense?

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 09:37:35 PM »

so it's cool that there is no west music being played in the west radios?

i honestly dont care if they get played or not.  im more worried about good music than if my favorite rapper gets air play.  them getting airplay doesnt put money in my pocket, so who gives a fuck?

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 12:57:51 AM »

You're missing my point. Those are the 2 types of hip hop that sell and appeal at the moment. Either you go for the club bangers (Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane, half the south) or that intelligent/intellectual route (Lupe Fiasco, Kanye sometimes, Wale, Drake, Kid Cudi, etc). I'm not saying they are one in the same or even similar, because obviously they are not even close to being the same type of hip hop.

They are however much different than a style of hip hop, and that is the 90's Death Row/Gangsta/NWA sound that the West Coast can't evolve or get away from.

Intelligent rap doesn't sell either. Those ones you listed are the very small exception. There's like a billion intelligent rappers who get zero attention.

thug child

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 12:09:10 PM »

well everybody wasnt raised in rich areas and started out on degrassi like drake faggot ass. Youcant knock the hood mentality or someone who grew up in a rough enviroment and had a rough life. You cant take niggaz fresh off gang bangin and selling coke and tun them into drake for the radio.plus you cant blow up if your own home dont respect you and most west coast niggaz lifes are documented by jay rock,g.malone an nipsey records. Despite what you or the radio think most people dont like drake and gucci an all those suckers just check the record sells. A few  12 year olds call up the radio stations and request it so the radio station thinks that hot. their to much shit going on in the world fo people to give 4 fucks about you swagger or who your fucking. shit this morning a 12 year old girl out here was found dead inthe alley . These kids are hopeless and if people keep letting suburban kids who like hannah montana and taylor swift dictate the course of music thats suppose to be for the streerts than hip hop will be dead by 2011. I also feel tht theres enough room in this game for the drake's and the nipseys i just wanna hear somebody talking bout something other than swag, dancing, girls, and money. guess this is what therap game is going to be like with white people dictating ourmuic so fuck the labels, the radio, bet and all the fans that support that shit.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 12:59:55 PM »
How is gangbanging rap  "real life"? Do you really think.gangbangers spend their entire time rolling down the block looking for a cap to peel?  First off, 99% of them have never shot or killed anyone in their life. They have families, they have 9 to 5s, they have lives like everyone else. That's what's real life right there. I understand if they want to make a few songs about it or whatever, but when it starts to define their music, that's not real life. Just because you come from the streets doesn't mean you're involved in gun battles 247.

Lunatic

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 01:05:51 PM »
While I tend to agree with you guys in a way, I can't help but notice the content difference in West rap and East/South rap.

Point blank, rappers from the South know how to make a catchy song. They limit their talk about guns and violence, and thus they pop on the radio. Even Gucci Mane limits this talk when he has radio hits. If there's a serious question as to why Drake gets played as opposed to Glasses, the answer is easy. Drake is fresh, something completely different, appeals to the women, and knows how to make a song. Glasses Malone doesn't really have any of those qualities - infact, both him and Nipsey Hussle (while I really dig Nipsey) are nothing more than throwback rappers from the 90's/Death Row era.

I know this is where they come from so they feel the need to rap a certain way and about certain things, but if it isn't working it's time to switch it up and try something else. While Game doesn't quite do this, he's had the blessing of having Dre beats, as well as reaching out to the East/South and has made friends and songs with most big artists from both sections of the map. Speaking of Game, he actually made some sense in his newest DubCNN interview when talking about his BWS artists and when he's going to start pushing them. He's right, labels don't quite create buzz anymore, buzz comes on its own. Drake being on Cash Money did NOT create his buzz, his buzz came on its own from his music and the message he was putting out. He just became a Cash Money artist what, 2-3 months ago? He's been huge this whole year.

Roccett seems to have his head on straight in terms of trying different approaches to songs and style than the rest of the New West, but even he gets stuck rapping old NWA/Death Row style lyrics. Take a group like 2nd II None. Based on their track record, they have the same gangsta lifestyle and upbringing as any West Coast gangsta rapper claims to have, but they took a different approach, and as a result had videos on TV, radio, and were able to reach a vast appeal from all sections of the country. Same goes for DJ Quik.

These West rappers need to look in the mirror and try something different. Gangsta rap is dead/dying. Whether you like to admit it, intelligent hip-hop/club songs is the present, and until the West comes up to that standard, we're gonna be having these same conversations for the next 10 years.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 01:19:49 PM »
While some artists do have and make music that is not radio accessible, there ARE alot of DJs that will not play local talent or artists on the west period. I am not saying what I think, that is a fact. There is a DJ that name I will not say out here in Vegas that does not play local music or west coast music hardly at all. So it works both ways, if the artists are making quality music, give it a shot.

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 02:09:10 PM »

Intelligent rap doesn't sell either. Those ones you listed are the very small exception. There's like a billion intelligent rappers who get zero attention.
It's growing at a much faster rate than it was before. Mos/Talib/that whole Rawkus family used to be a novelty in hip hop. That's slowly not becoming the case anymore. 5 years ago Mos couldn't buy a song that would get radio play. Today the list is growing of artists taking up that same style, except now they get radio play and jump on the biggest tours in the nation. Also keep in mind, all those intelligent rappers I named are co-signed by the biggest in the game, that being Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, and Kanye. It should be a sign for artists but they're not taking it in that manner, which boggles my mind.

I also believe if Crooked I dropped that gangsta stuff that he tries to toss on his songs,which we all know is greatly exaggerated, he would have a much better chance of blowing up. Like dude said above, real life does exist outside of gangsta lifestyles, even if you have come straight from the ghetto. Has anyone ever listened to Lupe's early material? He was heavy on the gangster tip, it didn't work, and now he's one of the top in the game.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 02:40:21 PM »
To be honest, even if the material was not gangsta rap I still don't think it would get so much more play then gangsta rap out west. Out here musically wrong or not it moves differently. When the Cubes, Snoops, Dres, etc were dropping consistently, the Liks, Xzibits, Heiro, etc were doing their numbers as well. It would be even more difficult for say a Dilated Peoples to drop a album that the radio would embrace even in this market and get mainstream appeal. Hell they only got it a couple years ago off the strength of a Kanye West feature and DP was probably at that time 1 or 2 hit songs away from being a huge group.

By no means am I saying that artists should compromise their music, but for the most part, west coast music across the board is not supported by SOME west coast radio stations and this did not just start yesterday.

aaamusicgroupwest

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • AAA Music Group - Mega Producers
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 04:18:44 PM »
Keep in mind, Jay Rock all my life feat lil wayne isn't a "Gangsta" Track

G Malone feat Tpain isn't a "Gansta" track...

Roscoe ( Kurupts lil bro) said today, he said bro, it's politics...

i feel where he is coming from...but these DJ's should have love for the culture....look at the south...Dj Khaled is dropping southern artists..

Last record Felli Fell dropped was a banger....but it feat fucking P.Diddy.....for real man....wheres the love??

at the end of the day, if you are a DJ on LA radio and you have the choice in a 2 hour slot to play westcoast music....give them an hour to start...damn
Twitter us: @TECHNIEC @BLOCREBELMEDIA @aaamusicgroup @Longbeachls

ALBUM:  Techniec & L's Present: Blacklist - Purchase here: http://bit.ly/hF7JxS

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 04:22:02 PM »

It's growing at a much faster rate than it was before. Mos/Talib/that whole Rawkus family used to be a novelty in hip hop. That's slowly not becoming the case anymore. 5 years ago Mos couldn't buy a song that would get radio play. Today the list is growing of artists taking up that same style, except now they get radio play and jump on the biggest tours in the nation. Also keep in mind, all those intelligent rappers I named are co-signed by the biggest in the game, that being Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, and Kanye. It should be a sign for artists but they're not taking it in that manner, which boggles my mind.

If by "before" you mean only a few years ago, then yeah. But there were way more intelligent rappers during the 90s.than there are now. Mos Def got airplay and sold records during the 90s.

The Flying Dutchman

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 05:41:42 PM »
Gangsta rap is dead/dying.

Gangsta rap aint dead, it never died, it took steroids to the head n became Crooked I