Author Topic: Obama to send 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan  (Read 1819 times)

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
Obama to send 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan
« on: December 01, 2009, 12:56:44 PM »
WASHINGTON (AFP) - President Barack Obama will Tuesday announce a swift six-month surge of 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan, but sketch an "end game" to the war by saying an exit strategy will begin within three years.
ADVERTISEMENT

Obama will unveil a political and military gamble aimed at reining in the Taliban insurgency, destroying Al-Qaeda and training the Afghan army in a globally awaited speech, after an exhaustive months-long policy review.

The president has settled on a 30,000 strong troop surge, but decided that the new forces must be rushed into the fight within six months to be most effective, a US official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

But keen to signal to Afghan leaders and a wary American public that the US commitment is not endless, he will mention a date well before the end of his current term in 2013 for a US drawdown to begin, the official said.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs meanwhile said Obama would "absolutely" spell out for Americans how and when they could expect to see US forces finally come home from a war launched after the September 11 attacks in 2001.

"This will not be nation building. This is not an open-ended commitment, what we are doing is putting forward a comprehensive strategy and an end-game in Afghanistan," Gibbs told MSNBC.

The speech at the US Military Academy at West Point at 8:00 pm (0100 GMT Wednesday), is already shaping up as the biggest test so far for Obama in a young presidency defined by multiple crises.

He must convince skeptics fearing a Vietnam-style quagmire that an escalation will paradoxically lead to withdrawal.

Opinion polls show sliding public support for the war, with more than 900 American soldiers killed in Afghanistan and October the deadliest month yet with 74 US combat deaths. Many more foreign troops and Afghans have died.

Hours before heading to West Point, Obama laid out his new strategy in an hour-long video conference with Afghan President Hamid Karzai, officials in Kabul and Washington said.

A US official would not go into detail about the discussions, but Obama aides have said the president will set clear expectations for the Afghan government in improving security and cracking down on corruption.

Obama was also due to lay out his plans to Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, after briefing Russia, France and Britain on Monday, with calls also scheduled with the German and Chinese leaders.

Some of Obama's Democratic allies in Congress are resisting more troops, citing a lack of clarity in war aims and the huge cost of deployments at a time of deep economic crisis.

His critics seemed likely to back a surge, but called on Obama to show commitment to victory, however long it took.

"I want to be sure that the president commits to winning in Afghanistan, and that the emphasis is on that rather than on exiting Afghanistan," said Representative Buck McKeon, the top Republican on the House Armed Services Committee.

Obama's speech, which will also freshen US strategy of Pakistan, will be closely watched by foreign governments weighing US intent and Obama is also expected to ask NATO partners for more troops.

In a first sign of increased allied help, NATO ally Britain said Monday it would this month send 500 more soldiers to boost its Afghan contingent to 9,500 men and women.

Troop numbers in Afghanistan NATO allies France and Germany are also thought to be under pressure to add more troops.

Obama's policy review came to the boil after Afghan commander General Stanley McChrystal reported on the war to the Pentagon in August.

The Washington Post then revealed that the general had warned the war "will likely result in failure" without more troops to crush the insurgency.

Obama's task was further complicated by the corruption-tainted Afghan election, which fanned deep doubts about President Hamid Karzai.

Some administration officials, notably Vice President Joseph Biden, supported a more limited effort to pursue Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

While he will reveal his hand to the American people on Tuesday, Obama signed orders implementing the strategy on Sunday.

He then spoke directly by secure video-link to McChrystal and US ambassador to Kabul Karl Eikenberry.

Anticipating the troop increase, several anti-war groups said that protests are scheduled Tuesday at the main entrance to the West Point academy, and Wednesday at federal buildings in several US cities.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/091201/usa/afghanistan_unrest_us_military

Matty

Re: Obama to send 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 01:45:16 PM »
so the 'exit' will supposedly begin after he secures a 2nd term ::)

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 02:18:19 PM »

He is a man of peace, war is peace, everything is fine, ignorance is good, carry on nothing to see here and you detractors should be ashamed of yourselves!

Matty

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:53:25 PM »
the dollar will roll over way before the next presidential elections anyway :laugh:

depends how far other currencies get devalued in the meanwhile.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 02:59:13 PM »
 this came as no surprise, we're losing the afghan war just like we're losing the vietnam war, except theres no communist superpowers having its back.

how embarrasing if the campaign is  faliure, much like how the russians were humilated except on a less tense scale.

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 02:59:53 PM »
the dollar will roll over way before the next presidential elections anyway :laugh:

depends how far other currencies get devalued in the meanwhile.

The dollar is fine shut up you freedom hating commie !  ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 03:12:36 PM by virtuoso »

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 03:20:31 PM »
lmao. Just another point to show how well Obama has stuck to his campaign promises. ::)

morbidenigma

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »
this came as no surprise, we're losing the afghan war just like we're losing the vietnam war, except theres no communist superpowers having its back.

funnily enough i was chating to my mate about this today, about how's there's a difference between Western soldiers(ie British & American) and Islamic militants.

To them it's a job and/or career, get paid an annual salary, get 4/5 weeks annual leave etc. They work to make enough money to meet their lifestyle needs of getting drunk, having casual sex etc .. They have no emotional connection to their work. To Islamic militants it's their life, a cause that they will live/die for. Their hearts and souls are embedded  to their cause . For them, martyrdom is the best way to die, these dudes pray and hope to die through martyrdom, for them it's the greatest way one can i die. Do you see American/British soldiers so committed to there cause that there hoping to be martyred ? lol

Why do you think the west with all its greater investment, better weapons/armory and technology is still struggling against the resistance in Afghanistan n Iraq ?

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »
Why do you think the west with all its greater investment, better weapons/armory and technology is still struggling against the resistance in Afghanistan n Iraq ?
Nation building and guerrilla warfare.

StreetsAllSalute

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 04:47:02 PM »
america hasnt even realized their not even fighting taliban any more...their fighting homeowners

the best way to describe it is...if say china occupied america tomorra you just gunnna say 'ok massa mesa speak chinese'

or you gunna blow shit up...rebel and generally just act the fuck up lol

taliban and al qaeda just supply the weapons you give them fresh cannon fodder every week you stay in there

thisoneguy360

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 08:32:26 PM »
Typical political bullshit...dude spends his entire campaign talking about Bush's bad decisions in the Iraq war and then goes and pumps more troops into a different over sea location  ::)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 09:32:36 PM »
I knew he'd earn that Nobel Peace Prize. I just didn't think it'd be so soon. My hats off to him. I pledge allegiance to Obama.

Muhfukka

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 10:23:28 PM »
we're losing the afghan war just like we're losing the vietnam war,

we are winning the vietnam war

Bananas

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 12:58:05 AM »

funnily enough i was chating to my mate about this today, about how's there's a difference between Western soldiers(ie British & American) and Islamic militants.

To them it's a job and/or career, get paid an annual salary, get 4/5 weeks annual leave etc. They work to make enough money to meet their lifestyle needs of getting drunk, having casual sex etc .. They have no emotional connection to their work. To Islamic militants it's their life, a cause that they will live/die for. Their hearts and souls are embedded  to their cause . For them, martyrdom is the best way to die, these dudes pray and hope to die through martyrdom, for them it's the greatest way one can i die. Do you see American/British soldiers so committed to there cause that there hoping to be martyred ? lol

gtfo most American soldiers love that shit and will die to be a part of some bullshit legacy like military service, you have quite the imagination huh momo?

StreetsAllSalute

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 01:03:26 AM »

gtfo most American soldiers love that shit and will die to be a part of some bullshit legacy like military service, you have quite the imagination huh momo?

they blow theirselves up...western soldiers cry and get compo when they get shot at lol