Author Topic: Hopsin "Gazing at the Moonlight" Album Review  (Read 866 times)

Lunatic

Hopsin "Gazing at the Moonlight" Album Review
« on: December 06, 2009, 04:54:57 PM »
http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/2113/56/

Raptalk provides an in depth review of Hopsin's debut album.

Ruthless Records will always be known as a staple in west coast history. The label which was once operated by the godfather of gangster rap Eazy-E, alongside controversial mogul Jerry Heller was a dominant force in the early to mid 90s with a roster that included Eazy-E himself, BG Knocc Out & Dre’Sta, and Bone Thugs-N-Harmony.  However, since the death of Eazy-E in 1995, Ruthless Records has gone on a downward spiral, relying on re-releases and unreleased material to remain notable; most importantly, the label has failed to produce and release any noteworthy new artists under the ownership of Tomica Wright.

15 years later, the label returns with their first glimpse of potential and hope since the passing of Eazy-E, with the release of their latest signing, Hopsin, a unique artist who certainly has “mega star” potential. Hopsin recently released his “Gazing at the Moonlight” debut album and we’ve prepared a album review for it.

The album appropriately begins with the Intro yelling “where are you” as it leads into the first track, “I’m Here”, a good introduction to Hopsin and his multi-syllable lyrical style and rapid fire flow. “I’m Here” is certainly a solid opening track.

“Break it Down” has an interesting beat which sees Hopsin use it’s fast pace to further show case his rapid flow as “Who Do You Think I Am” sees Hopsin use the unique instrumental to delve into relationship problems, getting certain (at times funny) things off his chest.

The transition works well to “Sexy Cyber” although the hook is a bit lackluster. However, Hopsin makes up for that with introspective lyrics and verses which are surrounded by good story telling. The first thing that comes to mind when hearing the lyrics on this one is “Stan” by Eminem and Dido, a classic. This lyrical showcase is certainly a bright spot on the album, as it shows Hopsin make the transition from rapping on fast pace beats which compliments his flow to rapping on a slow moving beat and slowing down his flow in order to bring forth the importance of his lyrics and the story being told on the track.

Next up is the one nearly everyone reading this review has heard, “Pans in the Kitchen.” Not much to say about this track since it’s been out for quite some time. This one certainly shows the potential Hopsin holds to make a hit record if it’s marketed correctly.

Hopsin uses “Story of Mine” to do exactly what you’d expect out of him once you read the title – detail you about his upbringing, going into such detail about his childhood and more. Hopsin says it best on “Bubbles” – “I’m very capable of being legendary” – if pushed right, I personally believe that is a possibility. The subject matter on here is interesting to say the least.

Enter the dark tone on “Chris Dolmeth”, a clever word play on the drug crystal meth. Once again we see Hopsin story telling on here about a crystal meth addict. The hook is also very impressive. This may be the best track on the album.

“The B Bop” was created to center on Hopsin’s rap skills – almost sounding like his self made cipher. “Slurpin” revolves around a female giving Hopsin fellatio – an overused topic in hip-hop that Hopsin found a way to make creative on here; a good sign indeed.

“Super Duper Fly” comes in as the corniest, typical sounding track on the album, and ultimately the worst cut on the album. “Mothefucker” is also less than impressive.

Things are back on track with “Don’t Trust ‘Em” but the content seems a bit overused since we’ve already had a few similar tracks. The album ends on the right foot with the title track, a stand out and one of the better tracks.

All in all, Hopsin has delivered a solid debut album that is outside the norm of typical west coast music. What is most impressive is that Hopsin produced all tracks on the album and has no guest appearances on here (minus a few un-credited hook singers).

However what is disappointing is the marketing and promotion put into this project. Ruthless Records finally has a star on their roster once again and they should start acting like it.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

OchoCinco

Re: Hopsin "Gazing at the Moonlight" Album Review
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 04:59:03 PM »
Ive been bumpin this cd in my car since i got my hands on it. Really like it. From top to bottom a really dope album.

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:38:02 AM »
Actually Justin, the hook singers were all him - I figured I would correct that.

OchoCinco

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 09:47:43 PM »
Just givin a bump. Mayb its not that hardcore west coast rap u want but its worth a listen. The dude is full of talent and very creative and a talented lyrict. Im amazed the dude produced and did all the hooks also, thats unheard of nowaday.

Mic-187

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 04:40:30 PM »
yeah this album is done really well. but ruthless failed to promote it or didn't bother to.

his new album RAW is 10 times better tho', production wise better and lyrically.