Author Topic: Computer Help!  (Read 1476 times)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Computer Help!
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:25:17 AM »
So I woke up today, turned on my pc and all of a sudden I get in that menu on Windows XP, where I have options for "safe mode","star windows normally" and "start with last known working configuration". I can only get through with the safe mode option, it just restarts with the other 2 options. So what do I do ?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:02:44 AM by Meho »

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Cold Hearted Son Of A Bitch
Re: Cumputer Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:48:23 AM »
You can't reset it to the last known good config?? If not get in with safe mode an run a virus scanner

Big B

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 03:00:04 PM »
take it to a local computer shop. you probably have a stop 0x7b error message and need to run chkdsk on the tower outside of windows.

TRG

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:00:38 PM »
Cumputer?  :eh:

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Computer Help!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 03:05:18 AM »
Fixed. Well yesterday it worked normal again but today I woke up and bam safemode. I'll try with a couple more anitvirus programs but it's wierd because I have Eset Smart Security doing a check every two days and it never found anything. The only thing that I can think of is that when I downloaded from Megupload a pop up window appeared. I didn't click on it or anything but it slowed down my pc for about 5 minutes. Didn't think much of it, maybe thats the cause.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 09:03:50 AM »
Fixed. Well yesterday it worked normal again but today I woke up and bam safemode. I'll try with a couple more anitvirus programs but it's wierd because I have Eset Smart Security doing a check every two days and it never found anything. The only thing that I can think of is that when I downloaded from Megupload a pop up window appeared. I didn't click on it or anything but it slowed down my pc for about 5 minutes. Didn't think much of it, maybe thats the cause.

do you still have the install disk of Windows XP?

Big B

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 03:09:40 PM »

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 02:32:16 AM »
Ok, here's an update:

If I turn my computer off and then on during the day (so, that means there's about 2 hour gap) everything works fine. But when I turn it off when I go to sleep and then turn it on in the morning (about 8 hour gap) it only works on safe mode, once I'm in the safe mode I just click "restart" and everything works fine. Now, I've ran tests for Eset Smart Security anti virus program, Anti Malware and Spybot Search And Destroy... and everything is clean. Any ideas guys ?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 09:00:41 AM »
Ok, here's an update:

If I turn my computer off and then on during the day (so, that means there's about 2 hour gap) everything works fine. But when I turn it off when I go to sleep and then turn it on in the morning (about 8 hour gap) it only works on safe mode, once I'm in the safe mode I just click "restart" and everything works fine. Now, I've ran tests for Eset Smart Security anti virus program, Anti Malware and Spybot Search And Destroy... and everything is clean. Any ideas guys ?
it's too early to tell, but it sounds like a hardware issue.

maybe you should check your harddrive for errors.
Windows has a tool for that, are you familiar with it?

Pgb

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 09:24:42 AM »
Had the same problem like 1 month ago. But after I booted in safemode, I couldn't boot back to normal. It turns out to be a hard drive problem, which then died. So like Dre-Day said, it's must be a hardware problem.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »
Died as in your computer crashed or the problem was gone ?

Dre-Day, I am not, care to help?

Jome

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 10:04:09 AM »
it's too early to tell, but it sounds like a hardware issue.

Yeah, sounds like either a hard-drive or RAM issue.. could be the graphics card as well..

Usually happens after 3-6 years, typical for older computers.. especially if they're running hot, without proper cooling.
If you have a disc with XP or preferably Win 7, I'd try a fresh install (preferably on a new hdd or even better, a ssd), after backing up all you need on another hdd or external hdd.

It's often the hdd that slows down or malfunctions, and XP needs a fresh re-install from time to time, it grows into a monster over the years.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 10:11:58 AM »
I have this computer since 02. And yeah the cooling is terrible, on days it sounds like an airplane is about to take off. But I got a new hard drive in May this year after my computer crashed. So basically I have to reinstall Windows XP ?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 11:00:19 AM »
I have this computer since 02. And yeah the cooling is terrible, on days it sounds like an airplane is about to take off. But I got a new hard drive in May this year after my computer crashed. So basically I have to reinstall Windows XP ?
i wouldn't do that yet, but Jome makes a valid point about computers running Windows.

Dre-Day, I am not, care to help?
sure.

- go to 'my computer'
- place the mouse cursor on your hard drive icon (by default it's labelled C: but yours might have a different letter)
-press the right mouse button
- a menu will appear: select the option properties
-a window will appear: you'll see multiple tabs. you need to go to the tab Extra (or Tools: not sure what it's called in the English version of Windows)

-click on 'error checking'
-another window will open: make sure that both options are checked and press start.
Windows will probably tell you that you can't scan for errors right now, but need to reboot first, so click on yes/ok
-restart the computer

Pgb

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 11:00:57 AM »
Died as couldn't boot anymore and end up losing my hard drive. Before I could boot in safe mode, then I tried to Repair it with the Window CD, then wasn't even working in safe mode. You might want to try that.. But it didn't worked well on me. But if you want to try it before you format here's the link http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm it's the second part.