Author Topic: Eminem Blames Drug Use for Poor Quality of 'Relapse'  (Read 2246 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Eminem Blames Drug Use for Poor Quality of 'Relapse'
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 09:39:55 PM »
that accent on relapse was all about appealing to his main fanbase the white boys .. it was white rap at its finest

If Eminem is white then MMLP is white rap, and if the accent is white rap at it's finest then Relapse is better than MMLP. And if MMLP is better than most black rap albums then white rap at it's finest would be better than most rap albums.

So you basically just said that Relapse is better than Doggfather and ...I Am. I'm sorry but I can't agree with that.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 10:26:24 PM »
I like Relapse, I just don't find it funny.  If that was his goal than he failed.  Though, it's a great concept album...even if he never intended it to be one.  I think the serial killer metaphor for his drug addiction is wonderful.  It's that serious for Eminem.  It is disappointing to hear that wasn't his intention but aye it still plays out like that so! 

Relapse is dope.  Loved Encore, which was probably his most forthcoming honest record. 

Where did he say it was supposed to be funny? Relapse was about proving to himself that he could spit like no other, crazy flow, rhymes, punchlines, metaphors, similies, Em's always been the dopest at strictly rhyming, and he proved that he still had it on Relapse. Take away the accent and half the rhymes/flows woulda come a little disjointed...

Relapse II is going to be more about song writing, instead of strictly rapping from what I gather, which is why I have high hopes for it...

Jimmy H.

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 11:53:02 PM »
I love how Internet cats twist a situation into something it isn't.  Like Eminem is apologizing for making a shitty album. All he's doing is explaining what his thought process was.

its just part of the marketing plan...talkin negative on your last album to make the next one more interesting :)
  There's kind of a big hole in that theory in that his next album won't be out for at least another four months. Meanwhile, the album he's so called "talkin negative" on is about to re-released in two weeks. That's some clever marketing on his part.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 11:57:03 PM »
I like Relapse, I just don't find it funny.  If that was his goal than he failed.  Though, it's a great concept album...even if he never intended it to be one.  I think the serial killer metaphor for his drug addiction is wonderful.  It's that serious for Eminem.  It is disappointing to hear that wasn't his intention but aye it still plays out like that so!  

Relapse is dope.  Loved Encore, which was probably his most forthcoming honest record.  

Where did he say it was supposed to be funny? Relapse was about proving to himself that he could spit like no other, crazy flow, rhymes, punchlines, metaphors, similies, Em's always been the dopest at strictly rhyming, and he proved that he still had it on Relapse. Take away the accent and half the rhymes/flows woulda come a little disjointed...

Relapse II is going to be more about song writing, instead of strictly rapping from what I gather, which is why I have high hopes for it...

No offence but you must not have read the Eminem in the article.

"Making 'Relapse', I was still working the drugs out of my system, so there was a lot of... just jokey shit. It was a lot of punchline-y, funny, shock value – kind of going back to 'The Slim Shady LP'," Eminem told Complex.

He's said this plenty of times before in different interviews too.  None of them are really funny, not even the lead single.

Edit:
The accent doesn't even bother me.  I actually find it dope.  Hell Encore is my favorite Em album and Rain Man is my favorite Em track.  I'm just disappointed that he wanted it to be funny rather than talking about how it could be a concept album (in all the interviews i've listened or read it doesn't come across like it was meant to be a concept album)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:59:32 PM by Action! »
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 12:17:11 AM »
Nah I read that complex interview like a week ago, and I've never got the vibe he wanted to make a comedy album from any of his interviews. He says "Jokey shit", by that I read that he means it wasn't a serious album, more just rapping and talking shit, not actually trying to make a comedy album. The album was just to prove to himself he could still spit with the best, and then he went and shut down the top 3 commercial rappers all on the same track, so I think he proved his point lol...

I see where you're coming from that he never mentions it was a concept album, which is kind of strange. Maybe it wasn't, but all the tracks ended up in that direction because of the drugs still being in his system, and his mindstate at the time. Either way, it comes off as a dope concept album so even if he didn't intend it, shit's aite with me...

You must be the first person I've ever hear say Encore was your favourite album, good shit on having your own opinion though, about half of that album was real dope to me, 50 spat on of his dopest verses on "Never Enough" as well...

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2009, 12:34:35 AM »
i thought RELAPSE was dope, and it is still in my 6-disc changer in my truck. was hoping for relapse 2 too come out this december- very disapointed about this bonus disc album,

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2009, 02:01:13 AM »
I love how Internet cats twist a situation into something it isn't.  Like Eminem is apologizing for making a shitty album. All he's doing is explaining what his thought process was.
well he's clearly not satisfied with Relapse

Matty

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2009, 02:14:54 AM »

it was shit.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 02:17:19 AM »

it was shit.
lol i wouldn't say that, but it's easily the worst Dr.Dre produced album

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 03:05:46 AM »
 :laugh:at u suckaz that went out and spent money on this shitty ass album...my god  even the man himself says it in so many ways....he aint the same no more..let him rest in peice.. along with with detox.

me1

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 04:52:46 AM »
Goddamn can some of you not read?

He's saying toward the end of the recording, he got better, and that the best music came late.

So the message here is that the stuff he had put aside for Relapse 2 doesn't match the new material he's created and that he's prioritizing over the old stuff. This should raise not lower your expectations of the new album.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2009, 06:39:24 AM »
Relapse is a great album; excluding skits, tracks like 3 A.M., My Mom, Bagpipes, Hello, Same Song, Stay Wide Awake, Old Times Sake, Ganja, Deja Vu, Beautiful, Crack A Bottle,  Underground stay on steady repeat + all the tracks on Refill (minus Taking My Ball). Album of the year for me easilly.

MediumL

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2009, 06:58:11 AM »
I dunno about album of the year. Fashawn, Raekwon and the Clipse are strong contenders but its probably in my top 5
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Lucifuge

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 07:21:19 AM »
like he's one song says: "See children, drugs are bahhhd"  :laugh:
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2009, 09:06:07 AM »
Nah I read that complex interview like a week ago, and I've never got the vibe he wanted to make a comedy album from any of his interviews. He says "Jokey shit", by that I read that he means it wasn't a serious album, more just rapping and talking shit, not actually trying to make a comedy album. The album was just to prove to himself he could still spit with the best, and then he went and shut down the top 3 commercial rappers all on the same track, so I think he proved his point lol...

I see where you're coming from that he never mentions it was a concept album, which is kind of strange. Maybe it wasn't, but all the tracks ended up in that direction because of the drugs still being in his system, and his mindstate at the time. Either way, it comes off as a dope concept album so even if he didn't intend it, shit's aite with me...

You must be the first person I've ever hear say Encore was your favourite album, good shit on having your own opinion though, about half of that album was real dope to me, 50 spat on of his dopest verses on "Never Enough" as well...

It's not my favourite album but my favourite Eminem album.  It's him at a crossroads in his career.  He's been called out for his usage of the N-word.  His peers and the public are questioning him.  Additionally, he just told his entire life story between the Eminem Show and 8 Mile.   What else is there for him to say?  Eminem manages to capture an artist in a total state of confusion.  He's at the crossroads.  It's completely honest effort.   Dare I say It's amazing piece of work that seems to go over most heads. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks