Author Topic: Why do "Real HipHop Fans" Think they are superiour to other hiphop fans?  (Read 634 times)

ikke

It's really pathetic if you think about it.
Music is all subjective who cares if they like something you don't.

Are fans of mainstream hiphop your inferior?

Not saying I'm completly free of this.

discuss
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:37:00 AM by The Great Cornholio »

Al Bundy

Re: Why do "Real HipHop Fans" Think they are superiour to other hiphop fans?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 11:08:24 AM »
it's not even about mainstream vs underground. it's more about "my opinion > yours"

flipmode123

• 'G'
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 11:13:14 AM »
It's really pathetic if you think about it.
Music is all subjective who cares if they like something you don't.

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Cold Hearted Son Of A Bitch
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 11:18:19 AM »
it's not even about mainstream vs underground. it's more about "my opinion > yours"

THIS.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:44:21 PM »
They tend to have more hip hop knowledge than your average rap fan. Maybe their opinion carries more weight?

ktothac

• 'G'
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 04:22:36 PM »
because they are superior. people who know bout the rakims and the tribe called quests out there are superior to those who dont, duh

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 04:35:46 PM »
yeah, when you got people thinking Tha Carter III is one of the best rap albums ever, it shows.

EDIT: not saying people who are fans of mainstream music don't know anything. i am a fan of mainstream music; i can bump Em, 50, T.I., Luda, Game, etc.

but people who don't much, if anything, about the underground scene probably don't know much.

if they don't know any New West Artists, Tech N9ne, Immortal Technique or guys like that, chances are they don't know too much.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:41:38 PM by Chamillitary Click »

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 05:00:29 PM »
Because they're elitist assholes with complexes.  They're too concerned about classifying what is and isn't hip-hop instead of enjoying life.

At the same time there are legitimate complaints when people parade around any album as "the greatest ever."  A lack of education shows and it's sorry but if they're business is pimpin' it ain't none of mine, so I'll mind my own. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 06:11:34 PM »

ha!

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 12:36:01 AM »
There are usually 3 types of hip hop fans:

1) There's the knowledgeable hip hop fan who is up on the Rakims and the Chuck Ds, and is also up on the newer stuff, has both an open mind and is able to critique music when its weak.

2) There's the "fan" who only listens to what's "hot" and gets radio play, can't name more than 1 or two underground rappers at most and doesn't know the history of hip hop during the 80s and 90s. Hasn't even listened to the classic older albums.

3) There's the elitist who only listens to older or underground music and says hip hop is dead, yet hasn't even heard any of the new stuff

in my opinion, 1 is superior to both 2 and 3

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 06:39:39 AM »
I agree.  The 1st type is more or less educated on hip-hop history while aware that people enjoy different tastes.  They then make selection of listening to whatever they like.  They can more or less legitimately critique an artist without hating.  Though stans will say it's hating but pointing out an artist's flaw is just pointing out an artist flaw, it's not hating.   Type 1 can appreciate both type 2 and type 3 arguments while finding a middle ground; type 2 and type 3 can't. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 06:51:58 AM »
They tend to have more hip hop knowledge than your average rap fan. Maybe their opinion carries more weight?

yep.   People who know the history and culture of hip-hop you have to respect their opinions more.  

The only thing I dont' like is when people are afraid to state the obvious, just because they want their opinion to stand out from more mainstream fans.  For example, people who say somethin like Big L was iller than Eminem back when everything Eminem was puttin out was fire.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 06:55:21 AM by Infinite... Be and It Is »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

ikke

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:23:46 AM »
It sounds like some faggots who are trying to be different.

True, but patronizing people because of the music they prefer really makes you look pathetic.
And it's basically the same as who knows the most about starwars

There are usually 3 types of hip hop fans:

1) There's the knowledgeable hip hop fan who is up on the Rakims and the Chuck Ds, and is also up on the newer stuff, has both an open mind and is able to critique music when its weak.

2) There's the "fan" who only listens to what's "hot" and gets radio play, can't name more than 1 or two underground rappers at most and doesn't know the history of hip hop during the 80s and 90s. Hasn't even listened to the classic older albums.

3) There's the elitist who only listens to older or underground music and says hip hop is dead, yet hasn't even heard any of the new stuff

in my opinion, 1 is superior to both 2 and 3
Here it starts looking like trying to be the best at the special olympics.

The only thing I dont' like is when people are afraid to state the obvious, just because they want their opinion to stand out from more mainstream fans.  For example, people who say somethin like Big L was iller than Eminem back when everything Eminem was puttin out was fire.
No fucking way Eminem is better then Big L...

dstyle

• 'G'
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 07:33:28 AM »
is all about peoples taste in music and from what generation they are
they call me old school I dont take as an insult look at the new school NO THANK YOU

Nine - B east

Matty

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 07:39:56 AM »
interesting one.

people can have an opinion on any music they want just based on what sounds good to them. that's really important to an individual's taste and you can't argue against it as such.

most people that are primarily fans of mainstream hip-hop have not heard much other hip-hop though. and the best stuff is generally not the best known.

you can't hate on people for not digging deep into any specific genre if they get enjoyment from the mainstream stuff and have no desire to explore further. for me though, the digging deep is the fun part of being a music enthusiast, that's where you start to find stuff that surprises and delights you and refines your tastes further 8)

so fans of 'mainstream' stuff are not inferior by any means, but by my own logic, if you like something, it makes sense that you would want to find out more about it and explore it further. i love a lot of 'mainstream' music, but often for different reasons.

and with hip-hop in particular i would say that a strong understanding of the history of all the elements within the culture really enhances the enjoyment of the music, but that's a whole different conversation.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:44:57 AM by Matty »