Author Topic: NAS...- lost tapes vs. stillmatic  (Read 230 times)

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
NAS...- lost tapes vs. stillmatic
« on: November 18, 2002, 09:13:40 AM »
yea, "the lost tapes" is an album of previously unreleased material and shit, and many of the tracks, if not all, were previously heared, but Imo, as an album, a collection of tracks, it should be rated fairly higher than stillmatic, first and for all for the reason it's amount of filler was amazingly minimal, while stillmatic, as solid as it was compared to previous NAS albums had reminders of why NAS wasn't on top of his game during his "IWW to Nastradamus" period.

whatcha thank?
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:NAS...- lost tapes vs. stillmatic
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2002, 11:04:08 AM »
I think I'm going to have to choose The Lost Tapes cause it really can't find a flaw.  Both albums have enough tracks than I think can be classics (One Mic, Ether, Black Zombies, Doo Rags, What Goes Around, Poppa Was A Player...)

# of tracks...Edge to The Lost Tapes ---I like my album 10-14 tracks
production...Edge to Stillmatic---both had solid production, just think this is better
skits...Edge to The Lost Tapes ---hate skits, would be tie if not for that little skit in front of "Rewind"
guestspots...The Lost Tapes ---for emcees like Nas, Rakim, Eminem...I like them to be alone on thier solo albums
diversity...Edge to Stillmatic---close but this gets the edge with the two dis records
impact/influence...Edge to Stillmatic---The Lost Tapes didn't have any singles and some people don't even recognize it as a real ablum
overall flow of the album...Edge to The Lost Tapes ---you can let this ride 1 to 12 no problem

« Last Edit: November 18, 2002, 11:06:08 AM by C2Knuckles »

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 11:33:19 AM »
Hey I Geezy, I haven't seen you post in ages man.

Anyways my shout goes to The Lost Tapes, if only people hadn't bootlegged these tracks in the first place, Nas would have brought us so much more in the period in which it seemed that he had fallen off. How Purple didn't get onto Stillmatic I don't know.

Jome

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2002, 04:02:55 PM »
Hey I Geezy, I haven't seen you post in ages man.

Anyways my shout goes to The Lost Tapes, if only people hadn't bootlegged these tracks in the first place, Nas would have brought us so much more in the period in which it seemed that he had fallen off. How Purple didn't get onto Stillmatic I don't know.

I certainly don't think bootleggin was the big problem.
Choosing which tracks to go on the albums was the problem they were faced with.

If Nas could have crossed Lost Tapes with Stillmatic, we would get a VERY dope album, instead of 2 just above average ones.

Young Dan Iza

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2002, 04:28:17 PM »
this topic should be lost tapes vs. illmatic imo, i think that stillmatic was a good record but it wasnt close 2 his first and last releases

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2002, 04:36:43 PM »
I certainly don't think bootleggin was the big problem.
Choosing which tracks to go on the albums was the problem they were faced with.

He did make bad choices but bootlegging was a HUGE problem for both Nas and Mobb Deep at that time.  Those who were into hip-hop in late '98 early '99 remember Nas was going to release I Am as a double album (was supposed to come out late '98).  That album kept getting pushed back then finally released as a single CD with Nastradamus to follow soon after.

Bootlegging fucked up I Am and Murda Muzik quite a bit.  The label probably wanted to just get the album out there but I'm taking all the blame away from Nas.  (I Am wasn't a classic but still good.)

If Nas could have crossed Lost Tapes with Stillmatic, we would get a VERY dope album, instead of 2 just above average ones.

You got some high standards.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2002, 04:40:49 PM by C2Knuckles »

Jome

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2002, 07:32:40 PM »

He did make bad choices but bootlegging was a HUGE problem for both Nas and Mobb Deep at that time.  Those who were into hip-hop in late '98 early '99 remember Nas was going to release I Am as a double album (was supposed to come out late '98).  That album kept getting pushed back then finally released as a single CD with Nastradamus to follow soon after.

Bootlegging fucked up I Am and Murda Muzik quite a bit.  The label probably wanted to just get the album out there but I'm taking all the blame away from Nas.  (I Am wasn't a classic but still good.)

Oh, my bad, I thought we were discussing Stillmatic here.
Bootleggin wasn't a major problem for that.
Just read too quick there.

You got some high standards.

Nah, think about it.
Stillmatic: Take away some of the 3-4 fillers, and add "Blaze a 50", "Everybody's crazy", "Black Zombies" and maybe a few more.
NOW THAT would be dope.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2002, 08:03:19 PM »
Nah, think about it.
Stillmatic: Take away some of the 3-4 fillers, and add "Blaze a 50", "Everybody's crazy", "Black Zombies" and maybe a few more.
NOW THAT would be dope.

For sure, but I would not what to take off.  "Braveheart Party" for sure and MAYBE "The Flyest", "Rule" or "You Got Ur Self..."

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2002, 10:36:29 AM »
I like both equally. The only thing I give "The Lost Tapes" over "Stillmatic" is the consistent quality of the production.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

bez

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2002, 10:59:33 AM »
i thought both albums where amazing. I liked Stillmatic a bit more cause obvious there was more tracks, but lost tapes is sooo amazing too.

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2002, 02:33:27 AM »
heck, I think "Don Dan" is right, I should've compared it to Illmatic....I mean, look at this shit, nearly every track has a point, has nas actually telling shit, and not just bluring the fuck out of trackz, like he was doing for so long....This shit is prolly his second best shit, the more I listen to it the more I become asured in this.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2002, 02:34:50 AM by I TO DA GEEZY »
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?