6 (27.3%)
Shock Of The Hour
4 (18.2%)
The Villian In Black
6 (27.3%)
Ruthless For Life
6 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Revisiting NWA´s discography part 3; MC Ren  (Read 2659 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: Revisiting NWA´s discography part 3; MC Ren
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2009, 01:59:35 PM »
damn ren is dope but damn bidness wise,not there at all
takes him years to release muzik & then when he does,he releases a ep?

I think he put it out to sell a couple of more dvd's. (the ep comes with the dvd). He said he was going to release 2 albums in 09 (one with unreleased tracks & one with new tracks). so lets cross our fingers that ren make it happen.

lol i'd be suprised if the new stuff will be above average

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2009, 06:01:55 PM »
well "return of the villian" sounds dope but im jus sayin hes one of the dopest but yet we "rarely" hear from him
but yet we get a new lil wayne song everyday, not ren's fault wayne puts out crap on the daily but IMO its ren's fault for not puttin out quality muzik more often

damn ren is dope but damn bidness wise,not there at all
takes him years to release muzik & then when he does,he releases a ep?

I think he put it out to sell a couple of more dvd's. (the ep comes with the dvd). He said he was going to release 2 albums in 09 (one with unreleased tracks & one with new tracks). so lets cross our fingers that ren make it happen.

damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Chad Vader

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2009, 09:24:46 PM »
Put up the Maxi Single. Its pretty much a full album. lol

ain't that just white-label (promo or bootleg on vinyl) of the John Doe (Big Rocc,Chip and Ren) project?

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2009, 12:59:36 AM »
Ruthless for Life is way doper then 5 of 12 songs.. fuck that.. that album bangs,, but im a huge ren fan so maybe im biased

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2009, 12:20:14 PM »

5. Hounddogz
Produced by The Torture Chamber, DJ Train & MC Ren

5/5 Love the intro (and outro),dope storytelling raps... again the hook i off the meatrack.

sorry guys, but this is one of those tracks that i wasn't feeling when i first heard it.
somehow i never really gave it a fair chance after that, until recently  :laugh:
now i can't even remember why i wasn't liking it the first time  :D
it's like listening to a new song 8)
this is so funky  :o
not to mention that it's a pleasure listening to MC Ren, when he's at his best 8)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2009, 02:12:55 AM »
^^^
yeah,fuck the gossip!
even though i'm skeptical about future work of MC Ren, i still hope he recovers :)

Chad Vader

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2009, 08:36:14 PM »

browsing around looking for some other shit,I came over this review blog;

My Gut Reaction: MC Ren - Kizz My Black Azz
http://hiphopisntdead.blogspot.com/search/label/MC%20Ren

If for nothing else, former N.W.A. rapper Lorenzo Patterson, best known as either MC Ren or McRen (depending on your part of the world) can at least say with confidence that he was the first member of the legendary crew to release a solo album after the group officially disbanded. Sure, Ice Cube had him trumped by a couple of years, and even Eazy-E had already released solo material at this point, but that was all done while the crew still existed. Okay, fine, so it isn't much of an achievement, I admit (especially since Dr. Dre's The Chronic pretty much obliterated any memory of McRen when it dropped in December of 1992, six months later), but the man actually released an album, and sold over one million copies without any real promotional effort, which has to mean something.

Kizz My Black Azz was an EP release celebrating, among other things, gangsta rap, misogyny, poor spelling, and freedom from a certain N.W.A. contract that barred him from making any real money. Curiously, even after the massive fallout between Dr. Dre (McRen's right hand man in the World's Most Dangerous Group after O'Shea bailed) and label boss-slash-group leader Eazy-E, Lorenzo elected to remain with the home team, Ruthless Records, for his solo career, so only Eazy's widow knows how much money McRen actually made from a platinum-selling debut EP.

I have to admit that I didn't even know this disc existed until I started writing about N.W.A. I was aware of Ren's solo career thanks to "Fuck What You Heard" (from Shock Of The Hour) and from The Villain In Black, Ren's third album, which a friend of mine repeated relentlessly in his truck while I sat in the passenger seat wondering how to get him to switch over to my preference at the time, The Coming by Busta Rhymes (both albums had dropped at relatively the same time). So finding Kizz My Black Azz was surprising. However, it only consists of six tracks, so at least it shouldn't take long to hear it in its entirety. Besides, I was all about finding songs about fucking promiscuous bitches without protection, murdering punk motherfuckers, smoking ridiculous amounts of weed, getting drunk as a skunk, and performing community service to atone for my sins, because that's an average Saturday night-turned-Sunday morning for Max.

Happy Mothers Day!

1. INTRO: CHECK IT OUT Y'ALL
At least six different types of useless.

2. BEHIND THE SCENES
Although the title would imply a song about Hollywood or filmmaking in general, McRen presents listeners with a sex-crazed tale that actually has a lot going for it musically (thanks to the Bobcat production work) than most tracks of this type. While Lorenzo's story sounds more like an incestuously-fueled letter to the Penthouse Forum (also indicative of this type of track: it may as well start off with McRen saying "I never thought this could happen to me!"), at least his delivery is entertaining.

3. FINAL FRONTEIR
I believe this was the only single ever released from Kizz My Black Azz, which makes his alleged sales figures that much more impressive. Just like on "Behind The Scenes", this track sounds like Ren is rhyming to two separate instrumentals spinning at the exact same time. The song itself sounds good, but MC Ren's lyrics ultimately ring as hollow as the Keebler Elves tree, as he is saying absolutely nothing.

4. RIGHT UP MY ALLEY
Had this song been released today (instead of seventeen years ago - fuck, I feel old!), you would swear that the beat was produced by Kanye West (due to its Phil Spector-esque wall of sound). Ren's story is pretty blah at best, but right now I'm just surprised that Lorenzo was able to surround himself with some pretty good instrumentals without the assistance of a certain Andre Young.

5. HOUNDDOGZ
Look past the weird "Atomic Dog" sample (I know I am) and you'll discover a really good song. The autobiographical McRen (well, to a point: he only goes as far back to his senior year in high school, after which he joined N.W.A.) weaves a captivating rug with some perfect bon mots: the man doesn't even bother rhyming in certain parts. The only way this could have been improved upon is if the man came up with a better title.

6. KIZZ MY BLACK AZZ
Ren's "angry" song (aren't they all pretty angry, though?) takes aim at a bizarre target during his second verse: rappers who use live bands. The fuck? Were they really that much of a threat to your livelihood, Lorenzo? (He also calls for an end to singing over breakbeats, though, and I believe that is a war that we can win.) I don't believe McRen ever held enough clout to warrant a song with this title, though. Somewhere, Jadakiss (from The Lox) is pissed off that he couldn't name his last album Kiss My Ass like he wanted.

THE LAST WORD: Kizz My Black Azz is a weird hybrid of confrontational raps set to some surprisingly good music. The beats always threaten to overtake poor Lorenzo, though, which may be why he was so whiny about rappers that use live bands in the title track. None of the N.W.A. spark shines through on here, but that's for the best, as McRen was trying to prove himself as something other than one of many cogs in the machine. Overall, Kizz My Black Azz is alright; I'm not going to listen to it every day of my life or anything, but a couple of the tracks may eventually find their way onto my "Loud Ignorant Shit" playlist that I bump whenever I'm driving home from the club buzzed, as a means to stay awake.

-Max

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2009, 09:17:50 AM »
5. HOUNDDOGZ
Look past the weird "Atomic Dog" sample (I know I am) and you'll discover a really good song. The autobiographical McRen (well, to a point: he only goes as far back to his senior year in high school, after which he joined N.W.A.) weaves a captivating rug with some perfect bon mots: the man doesn't even bother rhyming in certain parts. The only way this could have been improved upon is if the man came up with a better title.
better title?
damn, did he even listen to the song properly?  :D

Chad Vader

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2009, 09:35:57 AM »
5. HOUNDDOGZ
better title?
damn, did he even listen to the song properly?  :D

After reading this;

My Gut Reaction: MC Ren - Kizz My Black Azz
http://hiphopisntdead.blogspot.com/search/label/MC%20Ren

I have to admit that I didn't even know this disc existed until I started writing about N.W.A.
I was aware of Ren's solo career thanks to "Fuck What You Heard" (from Shock Of The Hour) and from The Villain In Black, Ren's third album,
which a friend of mine repeated relentlessly in his truck while I sat in the passenger seat wondering how to get him to switch over to my preference at the time,
The Coming by Busta Rhymes
(both albums had dropped at relatively the same time).

and;
http://hiphopisntdead.blogspot.com/search/label/Ice%20Cube

Westside Connection - Bow Down
I bet nobody saw this one coming. I figure, since it's clear that I have an East Coast bias,
what better way to include the West on my blog than by featuring an album that was created solely to dis the shit out of the East Coast?

I dismissed his opinions.....  ;D

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2009, 09:39:40 AM »
haha, what an idiot :D

Chad Vader

« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2009, 10:11:10 AM »
Chad Vader's Renincarnated review

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UT82Z4/ref=sr_1_album_9_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B002UT66NE&qid=1256936080&sr=1-9
Renincarnated

1. Renincarnated

Tight... Tha Chill coming with heat
4/5

2. Knock'em Out The Box

A weird little track. Never heard Ren flow like this before,might be a grower. A proper mix might kick it up a notch.
3/5

3. Showtime

Is this supposed to be a hype track? Hard to tell since the vocals sounds like they was recorded in a bathroom.
No rating available until a properly mixed version is available

4. Down For Whatever

Shit sounds dope as fuck,loving the flute. But I demand a properly mixed version.
4/5

5. West Coastin

Another bathroom recording.... Not really my style.
2/5

6. Villainist Tales

Like the dark feel of it.... and a little homage to Too Short (the hook)
4/5

7. Shootin' The Sh*t A Lil' Bit

You serious? The piano is way too loud and his vocals is way off  :-[

8. Black Star Line

Shit sounds cool... but it's hard to tell,can barely hear the vocals.  :-[

9. Return Of The Villain

Ren sounds angry on this one,but the beat is average and the hook sucks ass. Remix please?
2/5

10. V-Funk

I prefer Ren on hardcore beats... but shit is straight
3/5

Conclusion;
For the most part it sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom.
So I will be short and leave with these words;  ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 05:33:27 PM by Vader »

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2009, 08:28:08 PM »
damn chad your not feelin dre as a rapper? lol
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2009, 01:06:52 AM »
damn chad your not feelin dre as a rapper? lol

lol, i think Vader doesn't think Dre is the king as a writer ;)
he hasn't written that much.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 01:11:47 AM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

Chad Vader

« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2009, 02:31:54 AM »
damn chad your not feeling Dre as a rapper? lol

lol, i think Vader doesn't think Dre is the king as a writer ;)
he hasn't written that much.

Yep.... His MIC presence is dope as fuck... but as a writer....  :P :P
Go back and listen to what Dre wrote himself,if you can tell that is  :P... (or check the credits  ;) )

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »
nah i agree yeah i was jus talkin mic presence....one of the best str8 up
but yeah when i found out he doesnt write his own lyrics...that was and still is crazy and to top it off jay-z writin his lyrics
makes rappers like snoop, cube, and others look good even if they use ghostwriters

and reason is dre is a better rapper than all of them and many more but to not write your lyrics is a major downfall
who else in the nwa didnt/did write their own lyrics?
Cube