Author Topic: Amazon leaks Lil Wayne's Rebirth album  (Read 853 times)

woof

Amazon leaks Lil Wayne's Rebirth album
« on: December 15, 2009, 04:13:05 PM »
Amazon Ships Lil Wayne's 'Rebirth' Months Ahead Of Street Date

While most of Lil Wayne's fans will have to wait until at least February in the New Year for his often-promised and often-delayed "Rebirth" album, about 500 Amazon customers who pre-ordered the album are enjoying the record already, thanks to a shipping mishap.

According to sources and an e-mail to Billboard from an Amazon customer, the online merchant sent copies of the album to some customers who pre-ordered "Rebirth." The album began arriving in mailboxes on Monday, Dec. 14, despite a change in the street date from Dec. 21 to February 1.

The release date change - the sixth time "Rebirth" was pushed to a new date - was made last month by Universal Motown, the distributing label for Cash Money, and its distributor Universal Music Group Distribution. Universal Motown and UMGD recalled the album, but roughly one million units were manufactured and about one-third were shipped to accounts when the decision was made to pull "Rebirth" from the schedule, sources say.

Although Amazon received the word to return the Lil Wayne album, supposedly about 500 copies were sent to customers. An Amazon spokesman didn't respond to an e-mail request for a comment.

The decision was made because the latest single from the album "On Fire," is still building. Digital scans of the single since its early December release total almost 6,000 units, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Prior to "On Fire," the only track that has been released as an official single was "Prom Queen," which was released in early February and peaked at
No. 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It scanned 725,000 units. Also, other tracks from the oft-delayed album continue to pop up on the internet. A third track from "Rebirth" leaked today (Dec. 15) - the highly-anticipated "Drop the World," featuring Eminem. Previously, "Hot Revolver" and "Fix My Hat" appeared on the net, while "Da Da Da" was issued as a digital single the same day as "On Fire" and so far has scanned less than 1,000 copies.

Consequently, Cash Money and Universal executives felt that the album hadn't received the proper set-up and decided to hold-up the release yet again, sources say. The album was initially supposed to be released April 7, but was pushed back to May 19 and then Aug. 18. And when that date came it went, the release date was pushed to Dec. 15 and finally Dec. 21, before the latest turn of events.

While its known that the album has been delayed to allow for proper set-up, some sources indicate that the album may be worked on some more, possibly with new tracks being added. If that's the case, then the Amazon customers who already received the album may have a collector's item on their hands.

Despite the latest postponement, retail anticipation for the album still runs high. Lil Wayne's last album "Tha Carter III," which came out in June 2008, was the last record to hit 1 million units in a debut week, at a time when most in the industry thought that feat was no longer possible due to the closure of record stores and the decline of the CD.

With more stores closures since "Tha Carter III" and the CD being a less resilient product than a year ago, it is unlikely that "Rebirth" will debut at a million, according to retailers. It is even less likely to do so now that the album has been delayed into the new year. For the last two years, the CD has lost 20% of its base in the new year in the U.S. market, and come January that is expected to happen again.

Possibly complicating matters more: Lil Wayne pleaded guilty in October to attempted criminal possession of a weapon and is set to be sentenced on Feb. 9.

Even with all of that, "You don't bet against certain artists and Lil Wayne's one of them," says the head of purchasing at one account. "He has such a huge fanbase."

A Lil Wayne representative didn't respond immediately to a request for comment.

http://www.billboard.com/news/amazon-ships-lil-wayne-s-rebirth-months-1004053772.story#/news/amazon-ships-lil-wayne-s-rebirth-months-1004053772.story

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:18:36 PM by woof »

sav

Re: Amazon leaks Lil Wayne's Rebirth album
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 04:20:16 PM »
But the whole thing still hasn't been leaked?

woof

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 04:23:53 PM »

some white boys are looking for E-fame Lol

REBIRTH LEAK LIVE ON USTREAM DJBMURDER

U.N.T.O.U.C.H.A.B.L.E.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 04:29:15 PM »

some white boys are looking for E-fame Lol

REBIRTH LEAK LIVE ON USTREAM DJBMURDER

Lmao.... ;D

Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 04:31:37 PM »
If this is true, the whole thing will leak asap.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »
i mean, Wayne is clearly the hottest in the game (pause), so we're talking at least a million possible sold records down the drain.

about the album, i without a doubt will check this album.

they say it's Rock, but after hearing that Eminem track, you have it to bump it; because that wasn't Rock, it was Rap with a Rock-ish (barely) type beat.

hope it drops tonight. ;D

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 04:52:25 PM »
i smell lawsuit !

MediumL

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 05:01:06 PM »
they knew it was gonna sell poorly so theyll rely on sueing amazon now
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Boss Tweed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 05:05:59 PM »
If the album was pressed and ready to be shipped why would they hold off the release date until February ?

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 05:24:50 PM »
If the album was pressed and ready to be shipped why would they hold off the release date until February ?

Did you read the first post?  Lack of buzz for the album...

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 05:26:33 PM »

so mr. leak, how about a leak?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 05:37:18 PM »

also, a bunch of legal provisions we don't know about.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 05:50:28 PM »

so mr. leak, how about a leak?

jk, I don't have one.

Boss Tweed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 06:01:32 PM »

No I skimmed through it you fucking jerk off.  If I had actually bothered to read the entire of thing I wouldn't of found the need to ask, now would I.... fucking schmuck.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 06:23:31 PM »
From the tracks that have leaked most of it is ass.  The only good one was Drop The World.  I'm sure there's at least another decent track or two.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks