Author Topic: Whats so great about Crooked I?  (Read 2405 times)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Whats so great about Crooked I?
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2010, 11:00:53 AM »
nah murs cant get crooked
mc ren nowhere near crookeds level
ras kass near but crooked eats ras any day of the year
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

DEKO

« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2010, 11:03:38 AM »
The guy doesn't have an official album out... so why should I care...?????? ???

Rodger Ramrod

« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2010, 11:09:35 AM »
The guy doesn't have an official album out... so why should I care...?????? ???

i hope you know theres about 300+ CROOKED I SONGS OUT
who gives a shit if he doesnt have an album. ya'll need to quit actin like bitches

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »
Very interesting thread! I think i know what dude is talking about! Crooked has always been at the top level when it comes to lyricism! He can compete with anyone in this planet lyrically! Sometimes crooked I will throw people off with lyrics like  the example of the blob! I actually thought it was pretty clever but many people wont understand the point and thought of some rhymes! As far as a complete artist? I think that is where Crooked I might fall short to many people. He has never proven to make tracks like say 2Pac or Biggie has! Tracks that will give u chills! Deep tracks that get you in the soul! I mean 2Pac was a master at that! A Poet! Crooked's flows sometimes cant really express that sentimental emotion or hardcore passion! I mean he tries but you wont get the same result or feeling from other artist! Crooked I is a true MC and im glad he is in the west! ill throw him in against any dude at any time! But i doubt that peeps will ever recognize or label him as a potential greatest rapper of all time rapper! You need more than just raw lyrics or raw flow! You need something that the greats had that unfortunately cant be learned or be taught!
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

S.C. The Beast

• 'G'
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2010, 01:51:33 PM »
mc ren nowhere near crookeds level
ras kass near but crooked eats ras any day of the year

the last posts you made have dubbed you a certified stan. congratulations.

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2010, 02:29:01 PM »

two totally different mc's, murs cant do what crooked does and vice versa.....but the day i see crooked do a song like 'walk like a man' is the day i'll consider him one of the best....
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

The Flying Dutchman

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2010, 03:30:11 PM »
There is a difference between being mainstream and being a sell out though.

I never said Crooked sold out, and Im glad he didnt.

As you said yourself, he tried to appeal to the mainstream with songs like So Damn Hood and Dream Big, trying to mix a poppy hook with lyrics, didnt work that well though... The point I was trying to make is that I think Crook wont ever really appeal to the mainstream, whether he sells out or not, simply because hes too old, and he the self admitted ugliest member of slaughterhouse. He could ghostwrite for anybody in the game, but hes just not destined to be on the screen himself. Which is fine with me, because although there indeed is a difference between being mainstream and selling out, you rarely see it happen.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2010, 04:02:45 PM »
til then or if he never does he isnt? lol
damn crooked you got a long way to go

two totally different mc's, murs cant do what crooked does and vice versa.....but the day i see crooked do a song like 'walk like a man' is the day i'll consider him one of the best....

damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2010, 04:38:42 PM »

if he isn't versatile enough to do a song with that type of emotion behind it, something u can feel, not just say 'damn, that was a dope punch line!', how can he go from beyond anything more than a dope punchline/metaphor rapper? u let heads in a west coast forum tell it, he's the best ever, but u go to a universal hip-hop board and its another story....he's classified in the same category as a chino xl/canibus/ras kass/vakill type mc....all of them are very similar, whether anyone in here wants to admit it or not there isn't much separating crooked from that group of dope mc's outside of him being a little more gangsta....its all opinion
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2010, 05:06:07 PM »
aite first off...good lookin on the debate and you comin this way wit respect...so ima throw some back
but crookeds intensity is what makes him dope
its not that ras or chino isnt dope but his dopeness surpasses theirs and they prolly know but cant do nuthin bout
people need to realize crooked is a walkin mic machine and is one of the dopest to ever touch a mic period
dont mean ras is str8 wack...but on crookeds level no
but ras prolly knows this
but yeah ras and crook are above many rappers level
ras kass and crook and the rest are below them IMO
again good lookin for the debate
and where im from has nuthin to do with it
yeah im from the westcoast...yeah i love la...etc...but im not sayin crooked is the best cuz im from the same coast as him...lol
crooked is dope and at the same time im bein honest in sayin cube, game, snoop have made wack muzik for the same coast i am reppin

if he isn't versatile enough to do a song with that type of emotion behind it, something u can feel, not just say 'damn, that was a dope punch line!', how can he go from beyond anything more than a dope punchline/metaphor rapper? u let heads in a west coast forum tell it, he's the best ever, but u go to a universal hip-hop board and its another story....he's classified in the same category as a chino xl/canibus/ras kass/vakill type mc....all of them are very similar, whether anyone in here wants to admit it or not there isn't much separating crooked from that group of dope mc's outside of him being a little more gangsta....its all opinion
Cube

southcentralLA

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2010, 08:23:39 AM »
Crooked I is dope don't get me wrong he been tight, but man be real all this time in the music industry and you have not put out one ALBUM????  Something has got to be wrong with that picture.....Now I will bring up one of his old ROW affiliates, who may not be as lyrical as Crooked but who has more SWAG and I could see releasing albums cause he has superior album material and that would be EastWood.......Matter of fact if you go back and listen to the song "We Ballin" EastWood basically made that song he did the hook and damn near all the verses........Like I said Lyrically Crooked I>>>>>>Eastwood, 
SWAG/ Song writing Skills  Eastwood>>>>>>Crooked I

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2010, 01:06:44 PM »
nah no way eastwood gets crooked for the song writin
not that east is wack but crooked got east
and swagg....dont care bout that ...lol
Cube

NorthCoastReppa

• Lil Geezy
  • C.O.B.
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2010, 09:49:05 AM »
Ok, not sure that this thread is very constructive anymore, but here is my 2 cents...

I've been a fan since the late 90's, and Crooked does a lot of things that set him apart from other rappers:

* Style - This has changed a lot over the years, but to me, he has only gotten better. There are at least 3 distinct styles: pre-DR, DR, post-DR. Giving this much variety is rare in a rapper. Some people want a rapper to stay the same, but I think Crook has only gotten better with his experimentation. Sure, sometimes it doesn't work, but most of the time it does
* Mic Presence - Whether you love him or hate him, he's got it. Not all "successful" rappers do. Old rappers have lost it
* Word play - If you are into word play, I don't think you can find much better. Crook is incredibly creative and cracks me up with some of the insane shit he says. Examples: "muthafuckin w" "low profiles", "big dreams (hhw)"
* Flow - He can rap slow, fast or double-time, even in the same song. He can flow better than the original MC's can on some of the tracks. Examples: "clik clak" "djs and mcs", "uh oh"
* Rhyme scheme - Dude can out rhyme pretty much any MC out today. Examples: "fo shizzle freestyle", "Creased Khaki Flow", "uh oh (hhw)". Crook makes rhyming look so easy that it is almost transparent to the listener. Other rappers look like they try really hard to rhyme by comparison.
* Hip hop weekly - Pretty damn creative. It's refreshing to see rappers try something new rather than just copy off each other. The current state of hip-hop is incestuous at best with its club music and "glam rap"
* Content - He might not speak as deep as Pac, but his content is definitely inspired and fresh most of the time. He has quite a range: "one mic (hhw)", "freak", "u shoulda made a phone call" "circle game anthem"
* Huge library - For not having an album out, Crook has a huge amount of material to choose from
* Freestyle - He can do the off the dome shit really well. Example: Power 106 he did it for about 6 minutes
* Battle - I've only heard that he fucks people up in real battles. He'd hold his own on 8 mile. Frankly, the only person who I think could battle him is a young Eminem. Supernat ain't hard enough (even though I like him). On wax battles, he stays on topic rather than just merely telling the other rappers to eat a dick.

For all of those reasons above, he makes other rappers seem basic.

Yes...
.... he doesn't have an official album
.... he says C.O.B way too much
.... he talks about guns way too much
.... he needs to work on his storytelling and production. As others have said, he needs to make more "real" songs, not just raps

But...
.... he has always brought something new to the table and is one of the biggest contributors to hip-hop musically
.... he doesn't make only one type of music
.... he outshines anyone he's featured with (minor exception on sickology 101)
.... he raps about current events and shit outside of the ghetto or club
.... for as much variety and content as he does, a surprising amount doesn't sound forced or awkward
.... for people who like west coast, he reps it well and is something to be proud of
.... he has substance in his raps. he's not just trying to get rich off of a new dance or catch phrase

Crook ain't perfect, but he's got a lot more wins than losses than most rappers. Sly Boogy has a lot of potential to beat Crooked, but not enough content. Next to 2Pac, Tech N9ne and Crook tie in a distant 2nd place for me.

Ok, you guys can go back to your Snoop bashing.........

The General says C.O.B so much that he makes you say it...

C.O.B. A2 WS- CLA$$iC--

Nevermind the amount of posts......Check the Join Date!