Author Topic: Stopping Environmental Catastrophy  (Read 180 times)

ITW [the irish boy]

Stopping Environmental Catastrophy
« on: December 02, 2002, 11:54:54 AM »
Glad to see the HOM back. Y'all know me. I wanna discuss a topic that hasn't been brought up before (I don't think). How to combat environmental issues.

The environment is here for everyone, rich or poor, black or white, from whatever part of the world. However, it is under severe threat. Ozone Depletion and Global Warming (Two seperate things) are making us into a living breathing greenhouse. CFC gases from aerosol cans, old fridges and virtually all air conditioning systems are depleting the ozone layer, which protects us from UV rays. If it continues as it is, in the next 25yrs skin cancer will in some way effect us all.
The greenhouse effect is like a blanket over the planet, it keeps the heat in. As ice caps melt and sea water expands (water expands when heated) sea levels will rise knocking off currents and send the world into two horrific extremes.It is caused by consumption of fossil fuels, namely oil, coal gas etc.
At the moment the USA is the biggest culprit in the consumption of fossil fuels and producing CFC gases. The withdrawal from Kyoto was extremly dissappointing because a world solution is needed to a world problem.
Unfortunately things will get worse before they get better. As the third world develops they will encounter the same pollution problems but they will not have the resourses to deal with it. Who has the right to tell a freezing family not to burn coal. They have no other option. That is another thing that needs to be looked at.
Before I ask you how do we deal with the crises, let me inform all right wing or capitalist minded people that environmental control is essential for economic growth. What business will set up in a run down polluted cess pit?Careful management of non-renewable resourses makes them last longer and reduces cost. A proactive approach is cheaper than a reactive one (cleaning up later). With public opinion as it is, corporations with good environmental records can be rewarded.
So how do we deal with this? Do we sit around and hope america comes to its senses? Do we try and press ahead regardless? Do we try to convince bush and co. of the necessity of saving the earth we live on? Whatever it is it has to be an international decision implemented on the ground. Please put out some of your ideas, no matter where you stand on the issue.
SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW
BUT DO THEY KNOW TO THINK
THINK ABOUT THINKING
BEFORE THEY KNOW NOTHING
DID THEY KNOW SOMETHING
LETS THINK