Author Topic: Pop Single of the Year  (Read 368 times)

Trauma-san

Pop Single of the Year
« on: November 25, 2002, 08:48:23 PM »
Man, most of the time, I don't care too much about this, but for some reason this year, I've been really interested in what should win pop single of the year.  I've narrowed it down to 5, my favorite 5 pop songs of the year.  Yall respond if you like any of 'em, and respond with your own.  I know there's tons of hiphop songs we like, but JUST pop songs! That way we can keep it objective and compare apples and apples, ya feel me?  so, what's yalls favorite pop songs of the year, and why?  Here's the nominees for me.

1. Jewel - "Standing Still" - This song is just great.  Really fun, beautiful vocals, pretty creative, nice message, great song.  Definately one of the best of the year, and probably the greatest song Jewel's ever written.  Beautiful.

2. No Doubt - "Underneath It All" - Gwen Stefani is a great writer, and the whole laid back ska feel of the song is great.  It's got an untouchable melody, Gwen's in everybody's dreams on this one, she sounds like she's talking to just you, and the breakdown with the jamaican woman rapping, then back to Gwen for the last verse is just perfect.  Awesome song by a great band.

3. Oasis - "Little By Little" - I dont know if this is a single or not, but it's on their last album.  Noel wrote it, Noel sung it, and man, it's great.  Great, Great, Great song.  Beautiful, well written, Noel's voice is probably better on this song than any song he's ever sang on an Oasis album, and it's good to see he's still got that legend material left in him.  

4. Nelly Featuring Kelly Rowland - "Dilemma" - like somebody mentioned earlier, this song broke records this year, most played song in 1 week of all time.  Kelly just brought somethin extra to this one, and it's great.  The hook is irresistable.  

5. Sheryl Crow - "Soak Up the Sun" - great melody, nice fun song, Sheryl Crow can write, she plays guitar, bass, piano, a true musician.  She reminds me of the singer songwriters from the 60's.  This song was the anthem of the summer in mainstream music... "I'm gonna soak up the sun, i'm gonna tell everyone to lighten up"  Great lyrics.  

And the winner is (unless yall can convince me another pop song was better) - No Doubt - "Underneath it All".  No Doubt rule.  Gwen is perfect, in every way, the song is perfect, in every way.  Gotta be Record of the year, it's just too good.  Classic song.  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2002, 08:49:11 PM by King Trauma »

Doggystylin

Re:Pop Single of the Year
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 08:57:03 PM »
word trauma i feel you, few of those songs like the no doubt one sound real good in PE class with those hot chicks runnin around, and that nelly song was pretty damn tight in the summer time, but now its just played out and out of place, it doesnt sound right anymore, it was a summer song

King-Suge

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 1000 plus posts under my belt..Its GOOD to be King
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 09:43:04 PM »

3. Oasis - "Little By Little" - I dont know if this is a single or not, but it's on their last album.  Noel wrote it, Noel sung it, and man, it's great.  Great, Great, Great song.  Beautiful, well written, Noel's voice is probably better on this song than any song he's ever sang on an Oasis album, and it's good to see he's still got that legend material left in him.  

Well I dislike No Doubt--but thats for extremely personal reasons...

Anyways-as far as Little By Little goes it was a single--at least it was in the UK.  It reached #2 on the UK charts.  However I have to say, I prefer "Stop Cryin Your Heart Out" over Little by Little.
I only gave you the crown, so I could shoot it off your fucking head-Suge

Refer to me as your highness or dont refer at all

The King is Eddie Winslow/Youre a modern day Urkel/Ill throw you in the pool and hide your pink snorkel.

Murrow

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2002, 11:32:53 AM »
"Like I Love You" - Justin Timberlake
JT proves he isn't just a generic pop act.  He comes with a rugged r&b/hip-hop hybrid track with a diverse range of vocals over one of the hottest beats of the year from The Neptunes.  The drum track is ill, as well as the chorus.  The Clipse add to the song with their guest appearence as well.  It is a fresh song, and now people who normally don't like Nsync, find themselves liking this song.  JT now has respect from the R&B and Hip-Hop world, along with the likes of producers like Timbaland and The Neptunes.  It is a song that represents the young generation, and this song is perfect that everyone can relate to.

"Underneath It All" is another good song to.

"Without Me" too.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2002, 11:34:55 AM by Murrow »

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2002, 12:07:32 PM »
Who does Without Me?  I can't think of that one.  

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2002, 12:43:28 PM »
I think he is refering to Eminem - Without Me.

I vote for Christina Milian - When You Look At Me

The song was as catchy as anything, had a great stringy guitar piece in the background, and the video was for me the sexiest (without wearing next to nothing, Christina Aguilera, ahem!!) of the year.

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2002, 02:47:10 PM »
I dunno the Christina Milan one, and the Eminem one is too hiphop to be straight pop, I'm talkin about like mainstream 40 year olds listen to it stuff.  

Suga Foot

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2002, 05:28:51 PM »
I agree with Underneath It All.  It's a great song.  

Murrow

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2002, 07:45:25 AM »
John Mayer's "No Such Thing" and "Your Body Is A Wonderland."

King-Suge

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 1000 plus posts under my belt..Its GOOD to be King
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2002, 10:17:16 AM »

Oh gag..

I didnt know guys like John Mayer?  He is piss poor blues music and is the biggest sell out in the biz--but by all means--knock yourself out.

I only gave you the crown, so I could shoot it off your fucking head-Suge

Refer to me as your highness or dont refer at all

The King is Eddie Winslow/Youre a modern day Urkel/Ill throw you in the pool and hide your pink snorkel.

Murrow

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2002, 12:34:01 PM »

Oh gag..

I didnt know guys like John Mayer?  He is piss poor blues music and is the biggest sell out in the biz--but by all means--knock yourself out.

"Oh gag"...I love your snotty Queeen Bitch remarks...fuckin homosexual.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2002, 06:48:17 PM »
wow i was actually getting ready to make a long arguement for Underneith it all by no doubt......i actually saw them the other night, and they were pretty damn good

yeah but definately you gotta give "undernieth it all" best pop song......i was going to give it single of the year too BUT that Audioslave song "Cochise" is just mind blowing

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

DPGC2003

• 'G'
  • Crissy M
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2002, 09:22:52 PM »
That No Doubt song that the Neptunes produced I forgot what it's called...
Rainstorm the back of the bank, bustin loose like Muggsy
Typhoons, Kurupt Calhoun
with a platoon of backwards ass buffoons
Ready to shoot anything that moves             Kurupt-Trylogy

Trauma-san

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2002, 10:30:30 AM »
Was it "Hella Good" that they did?  or Hey Baby?  I'll bet Hella Good, I read an article about them working together (but they didn't name the song!!!), and they were talking about how they got the awesome bassline for it (It's of course a live bassline played by the bass player from no doubt).  I'll give Hella Good bassline of the year, easy.  LOL

Trauma-san

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2002, 10:32:16 AM »

Oh gag..

Yeah, I dunno about that one.  One, I'm pissed at hm ,because I heard he was dating my woman, Jennifer Love Hewitt.  I can't stand "your body is a wonderland" he's tryin' too hard.  There's one line in the song that's great though, I can't remember it off the top of my head, somethin about not letting her head hit the pillow without his hand behind it or somethin.

"No Such Thing" was alright.  I can do better.  

I'm still standin' by "Underneath it all" awesome song.