Author Topic: Drake - Thank Me Later [Most Anticipated Album Of 2010]  (Read 5060 times)

MediumL

Re: Drake - Thank Me Later [Most Anticipated Album Of 2010]
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »
thats why im gettin bored of hip hop. kinda movin onto new music cause hip hops become rnb/formulaic and the lyrical abilities have gone down hill. very few rappers make me rewind the track and the beats are usually hollow

Whenever I hear people say stuff like this I think that you can't be checking for underground hip-hop which continues to be creative. I agree with you totally about the commercial hip-hop on TV and the radio, but away from the limelight its completely different.

Hip-hop is getting so big these days that there's always a brand new artists almost every day coming out worth listening to. You've just got to put in the work to find them and some people don't.

true theres people like jay electronica or fashawn that make dope music but like i said very few rappers that have good beats and amazing lyrics anymore. hence why ive expanded my musical tastes
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2010, 03:08:07 PM »
I don't think mainstream hip hop is as bad as it was from 06-07. We've had some quality mainstream releases in the past two years with Nigger, L.A.X., Paper Trail, Relapse, Man On The Moon, Blueprint 3, Attention Deficit, OBFCL2... With that being said I think that Def Jam is the most formulatic label and the majority of the albums that they have released in the past 2,3 years have been real predictable.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2010, 07:36:16 PM »
I like 50 cent before he was famous,back in the how to rob days and I still like him today.I do however dislike mainstream musis that is quite obviously a machine made artist such as drake.With lil wayne I can respect him because he made himself hot,that was no label doing that.But drake is absolute hype and theirs nothing natural about him or his music.You can practically feel the meeting of the suits with each of his songs of what he should do.Same reason I wouldnt ever listen to say contestant from american idol crap.They dont write their own music they dont produce they dont do anything.Its alll made by commitee.Which is my same problem with what def jam has become.It used to be a great label.Now each album is garbage,no risk taken,no artistry.Just a whos who of whatevers hot at the moment.If that kind of shit makes you happy,thats cool.But that is NOT music.

it's not music?

this is where my head falls off from laughing too hard
Music is an expression of creativity. jaydc beliefs that this type of music is not the result of creativity but of marketing research to see what you  have to put on a track to make it succesfull.

THe music business isn't about music.

It's about making money by maximizing profits through the selling of music which is still a product of someone's creativity.   Often the biggest problem is that instead of the creativity coming from one or two people and then marketed as it is done in the underground, it's a group of people and they use the most appealing face to release it with.  While you might not like it, it's still music.   Music does not have to be ground breaking or original.   

See that's where I disagree with most of you.  You keep limiting what songs/groups are and aren't music.  All of it is music even if it's technically bad or not or even if you do or do not like it.

Who cares if they sell it by the hook or by the raps if it's still dope? 

Both Live Your Life & Empire State of Mind are both dope hip-hop records with positive messages. 

Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2010, 11:12:20 PM »
Live Your Life was probably T.I.'s best song BECAUSE of the message.  The new Bone Thugs single is still epic even though it's "average" by their standards, because of the MESSAGE. 

Alot of Drake songs, I don't see a message I can relate to, and if there's no message, then I'm gonna be listening to a rap song for skills and witty punchline lyrics.   Drake doesn't have those...

ikke

« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2010, 12:38:45 AM »
It's about making money by maximizing profits through the selling of music which is still a product of someone's creativity.   Often the biggest problem is that instead of the creativity coming from one or two people and then marketed as it is done in the underground, it's a group of people and they use the most appealing face to release it with.  While you might not like it, it's still music.   Music does not have to be ground breaking or original.   

See that's where I disagree with most of you.  You keep limiting what songs/groups are and aren't music.  All of it is music even if it's technically bad or not or even if you do or do not like it.

Who cares if they sell it by the hook or by the raps if it's still dope? 

Both Live Your Life & Empire State of Mind are both dope hip-hop records with positive messages. 

How is it the result of creativity when labels just sign a marketable personality and decide exactly what he should sing/rap about and what kind of beats he's going to use.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2010, 08:16:05 AM »
Because someone is still being creative to make music. Just cause it's packaged to appeal to the most listeners doesn't take away from the fact it's still someone creativity creating the music.
- Banks

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2010, 02:05:02 PM »
FirsLive Your Life was shit. It had a pop singer on the chorus and a sample of a homo-erotic Europop song to drive the beat. T.I. made money off it so well done but it was shit.

ikke

« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2010, 02:27:52 PM »
FirsLive Your Life was shit. It had a pop singer on the chorus and a sample of a homo-erotic Europop song to drive the beat. T.I. made money off it so well done but it was shit.
I absolutely fucking hate the goddamn sample but TI made it work.

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2010, 02:31:38 PM »
I absolutely fucking hate the goddamn sample but TI made it work.

fair enough. But give me Rubberband Man over that anyday. 8)

Jaydc

« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2010, 04:12:09 PM »
Because someone is still being creative to make music. Just cause it's packaged to appeal to the most listeners doesn't take away from the fact it's still someone creativity creating the music.

That is the opposite of creativity.Being creative is doing something original,something from the heart.A bunch of people in board meetings telling artists what music to make because this is whats marketable is  not creativity.And you may laugh at my comment it isnt music,but it really isnt music.Its a sad interpretation of what music should be.Music is something thats supposed to be beautiful and creative.Thinking whats on the radio today is actually music is the reason the music industry is in the fucking tank right now.Its a manufactured product meant to make money.The process can be put to anything.Do you also think what britney spears does is music?Its a fucking product.

Blood$

« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2010, 04:17:45 PM »
to me "Laffy Taffy" was the first major blow to hip hop and that was at the end of '05

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2010, 04:58:24 PM »

That is the opposite of creativity.Being creative is doing something original,something from the heart.A bunch of people in board meetings telling artists what music to make because this is whats marketable is  not creativity.And you may laugh at my comment it isnt music,but it really isnt music.Its a sad interpretation of what music should be.Music is something thats supposed to be beautiful and creative.Thinking whats on the radio today is actually music is the reason the music industry is in the fucking tank right now.Its a manufactured product meant to make money.The process can be put to anything.Do you also think what britney spears does is music?Its a fucking product.

You're wrong.  Sorry being creative does not mean you have to be original or you have to be creating from the heart.  There's no rule book on music being both creative and beautiful.  I do not disagree that the music I enjoy the most I think are both original (in some sense) and beautiful (to some degree) but just because other songs aren't this doesn't mean it's not creative or not music.  You're just limiting what music is.    The problem is our definitions of music and what being creative entails are inherently different.  You put caps on music and you limit creativity.  I don't.  I won't deny someone the right to claim something is music.  The ability to create and then doing so is being creative.   I just use other terms to describe the music created.  I'm more than willing to describe music as not being original or unique but to deny it being music? lol

I'm done with this thread as I've properly explained myself and debating this point any further is useless.
- Banks

Jaydc

« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2010, 05:40:41 PM »
So electronic elevator noise made to sound like popular songs is music to you because someone took the time to create it?

Jaydc

« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2010, 05:41:28 PM »
Elevetar background ambience is more creative then drake is.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2010, 05:53:49 PM »
to me "Laffy Taffy" was the first major blow to hip hop and that was at the end of '05

i don't know.

i always felt 50's Candy Shop was the start; even though, i thought that song was tight.

it seems like the first song that was like the most major of singles that was like that.

then artists realized all they had to do was make some "slut jam", talk about grinding on pussy in the club & make up a silly little dance for people to do & they could sell.

the rest is history. :-\