Author Topic: Source SCREWS Jay Z  (Read 423 times)

King-Suge

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 1000 plus posts under my belt..Its GOOD to be King
Source SCREWS Jay Z
« on: November 27, 2002, 10:19:58 AM »
The source gave Blueprint 2 3.5 mics.  Thats an insult.  They gave Nellyville 3.5 mics and to even compare those albums is insane.

The album is at least 4--better with every listen.
I only gave you the crown, so I could shoot it off your fucking head-Suge

Refer to me as your highness or dont refer at all

The King is Eddie Winslow/Youre a modern day Urkel/Ill throw you in the pool and hide your pink snorkel.

King-Suge

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Source SCREWS Jay Z
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 10:51:07 AM »
Most people, especially fans of Jay Z who have been down since "dead Presidents" came out, seem to think this is a very fair rating.  3.5 is not that bad, especially considering all of the filler on the album....If he coulda took compressed this into one album, he could had 4 or 4.5, but he wanted to be like Big and Pac and hit the world up with a classic double album in an effort to cement his place as one of the best.

STill a good album, and 3.5 ain't bad at all.  I mean, the Source often fucks up (many good albums have gotten 3mics while many shit albums have gotten 4 or 4.5), why do you take what they have to say seriously King Suge?  Still, i am surpirsed the Source wouldn't have rated this album higher considering how commercial it is......oh well, Jay is selling crazy units, that is what this album is for, and i'm sure he'll come with the album he is capable of next time.

Last year, The Source was all on Jay's dick, this year it is Nas (Nas got 1st and 10th best album, verse of the year, and artist of the year....i only agree with artist of the year, but the other three i am not so sure of....)peace >>

I agree with your post, but the bottomline is -people are always curious to see what the Source does.  And Ive been a fan of Jays for a long time..and I think a 3.5 is unfair.  You say MOST jay z fans dont like the album, but that is really inaccurate.  Most Jay fans will agree theres SOME filler (not a lot) but there are plenty of bangers and amazing tracks.  And I know that under normal circumstances 3.5 is okay-but when the Source gives that rating out to EVERY album I have a HUGE problem wtih that.

The King is Eddie Winslow/Youre a modern day Urkel/Ill throw you in the pool and hide your pink snorkel.

Instigator

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 12:12:09 PM »
Damn, this is BS... the album deserves at least 4 mics.
Although it's far from Blueprint standards, it's still tight as hell, I gotta say 3.5 mics does real injustice to this album.

Whatever though - this will kill the haters saying that The Source is on Jigga's dick once and for all.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 03:32:42 PM »
If I reviewed for The Source I would give it 3.5.

I would of thought that they would have given him 4.

And are they ranking the albums and artists of the year in this year instead of just listing the top 10 in no particular order?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2002, 03:32:57 PM by C2Knuckles »

The Watcher

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2002, 05:25:36 PM »
"3.5 mics now means you a piece of shit" -- Eminem

HEH

Guess Jay-Z didnt get enough ads in the source in order for them to give it another mic.
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2002, 05:50:04 PM »
Most people, especially fans of Jay Z who have been down since "dead Presidents" came out, seem to think this is a very fair rating.  3.5 is not that bad, especially considering all of the filler on the album....If he coulda took compressed this into one album, he could had 4 or 4.5, but he wanted to be like Big and Pac and hit the world up with a classic double album in an effort to cement his place as one of the best.

Beautiful post..
You said exactly as I feel...I've been here since the D.P. single, and have purchased all of his music since.
And this cd IMO don't surprise me it got that rating cause of his impressions of Biggie & Pac.until Jigga makes a full blown lp without any Biggie or Pac quotes, references or anything related to them...he will never be in their place.

All hip-hopper's should just focus on doing them and stop trying to prove how much they are fan's of B.I.G. & Makaveli....ImO

They can never be done again...Do U

Hatesrats 2oo2

Jome

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2002, 06:36:20 PM »
"3.5 mics now means you a piece of shit" -- Eminem

HEH

Guess Jay-Z didnt get enough ads in the source in order for them to give it another mic.

Yup, 3 mics or less is almost impossible in that wack ass magazine.

My theory:

Benzino (Source-owner) --> beef with --> Eminem --> is down with --> Jay-Z --> Bad rating.

I really believe that it can be that simple.
If "Blueprint" is 5 mics, then "Gift & the Curse" is at least 4 mics, if not 4.5

By the way, their rating-system doesn't mean shit, and it's all their own fault.
They gave 5 mics to Scarface, Nas & Jay-Z, and none of them really deserved it.
And they have overlooked tons of 5-mic albums in the past.
But I guess a magazine can't help being so wack when it's owned by a dude like Benzino ::)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2002, 06:44:04 PM »
How come no one ever cries about XXL, Murder Dog  or any other mag's reviews, it's always the Source?

*licks his lips waiting for someone to say it's cause their rating systems are better*

DPGC2003

• 'G'
  • Crissy M
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2002, 08:22:37 PM »
The Source has no credibility...They gave Scarface 5 mics for that wackass album Fix...I like Scarface and all but his last album had maybe 4 dope songs...The fact that Benzino owns it makes it more of a joke...Made Men 4.5 mics...LOL...
Rainstorm the back of the bank, bustin loose like Muggsy
Typhoons, Kurupt Calhoun
with a platoon of backwards ass buffoons
Ready to shoot anything that moves             Kurupt-Trylogy

DPG4lyfe

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2002, 09:13:30 PM »
fucc benzino fucc source and fucc made men!

teecee

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2002, 11:18:59 AM »
In defense of THe SOurce, and any magazine's rating system for that matter, it is next to impossible to rate an album after only listening to it for a week or less.  Seriously, i think The Source knows they messed up by not giving a lot of artists their deserved 5 mics in that past, and that is why they hand out the 5 mics more often now.  True, the Jay, NAs and Scarface are not 5 mic albums, but all three are very good and actually are GREAT on first listen.  HOw can anyone know if they are gonna have the impact of a Doggystyle or Ready to Die?  

None of us have the god given powers to rate an album accurately after only listening to it for a few weeks..........i am sure the Source has knowledgeable writers and hiphop fans, but this is a hard job that i know i would be terrible at.  I have been seriously into hiphop since '93, and i have a fairly broad and indepth knowledge of many types of hiphop and other music, but I still never rate or review albums properly and accurately.  Often, i have a bias, or often i hate the album at ffirst, only for it to become one of my alltime favourites (Illmatic and Soul On ice to name a few), or sometimes i love an album right away(Blueprint 1) only totire of it quickly and realize it has no substance.  
       To be honest, ya'll shouldnt take what the Source or XXl has to say so seriously, because if you know your stuff that your own opinion can be just as accurate, if not more accurate.  Just keep an open mind and its all good.

peace              

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2002, 12:19:02 PM »
Well they only gave Doggystyle 4 Mics when they first reviewed it. They said something like, "this is only half the album that we were expecting. The other half is stuff that would have blown us away last year, but now just seems average compared to 1994 standard."

I only really ever read reviews as a rough guide, I certainly don't suddenly go off the idea of buying an album after I see one bad review of it. The best way is to borrow it from someone or download a few tracks and see if you like it, or if you have the money, just experiment a little and see who you like and who you don't.

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2002, 02:43:31 PM »
The problem (as I see it) is that they have too many people reviewing albums, LOL.  Like I would probably rate westcoast albums better than east coast, and tom might rate eastcoast albums higher than westcoast.  If they had one guy doing them all, at least it woudl be subjective.  Or they could use a group of people to rate them.  

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2002, 07:25:53 PM »
This is rare, but I actually agree with the Source's rating on this one.

King-Suge

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2002, 03:56:00 PM »
This is rare, but I actually agree with the Source's rating on this one.
Um..Cracker-with all due respect, you listen to ICP so your opinion means even LESS than the Sources.

LOL--That should put things in perspective for you, pumpkin.