Author Topic: Am I The Only Person Who Thinks 2Pac Was Just Average...  (Read 1322 times)

J-FUNKTION

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Am I The Only Person Who Thinks 2Pac Was Just Average...
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 01:48:35 PM »
Yes u are.
apparently not guy...

and why people bringin biggie up in here? its not a comparison, its a question concerning pac...now..

average..no....overrated...oh fuck yes..

Scrappy Doo

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 01:55:40 PM »
Was 2Pac the greatest emcee of all time? How about the greatest rapper of all time? There are different ways to look at this question, primarily because there are different ways to define “emcee” and “rapper”. KRS-One once wrote that “rappers spit rhymes that are mostly illegal/ emcees spit rhymes to uplift their people”. 2Pac did both. Biggie did only one of the two. Does that make 2Pac a better emcee than Biggie? Not necessarily. If you prefer to view an emcee in the more technical sense (i.e. flow, cadence, timbre, flexibility), Biggie was ahead of 2Pac by a long shot. But at the same time, Big’s subject matter was narrow as a grain of rice. It’s a shame these two brothers were – and still are – endlessly compared to one another when their styles were so diverse.

To compare Big and ‘Pac is natural, but leave their albums out of it. Big’s albums sit amongst East coast elite records like Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, and The Infamous – gritty at heart. 2Pac’s albums, at least his earlier ones, fit more appropriately alongside provocateurs like Ice Cube, Cypress Hill and Public Enemy. I say if you can’t appreciate an early ‘Pac record, you probably wouldn’t dig Death Certificate or Yo! Bum Rush the Show either.

Combat Jack’s point that 2Pac is overrated is not unsubstantiated. In fact, I’ve often said that 2Pac is overrated for all the wrong reasons and by the same token underrated or underappreciated for all the wrong reasons. He’s overrated by people who typecast 2Pac for songs like “Hail Mary”, “Hit ‘Em Up” and “California Love”; he’s underappreciated by people – like Combat Jack – who overlook amazing performances like Me Against the World’s “So Many Tears” and “Lord Knows” or the Above the Rim soundtrack highlight “Pain”. How could “Dear Mama” and “Old School” be the only good songs you take away from Me Against the World? In my book, ‘Pac’s soulfully-pronounced “ee” and “ah” vocals from “So Many Tears” are deeper and more profound than most rappers’ discographies. But maybe I’m just a stan, right? Maybe. So how ‘bout we take a step away from the music and discuss 2Pac’s background.

2Pac emerged from a family of Black Panthers and revolutionaries. His mother, Afeni Shakur, was hit with 150(!) charges of conspiracy against the United States. ‘Pac’s stepfather, Mutulu Shakur, was on the FBI’s most wanted list. Mutulu’s sister, Assata Shakur, escaped from jail and sought refuge in Cuba. This is where 2Pac comes from. As a youth, ‘Pac excelled in academic studies, taking up interests in acting and dance, as well as music and poetry. Socially conscious and aware from a young age, ‘Pac exhibited his egalitarian points of view. This is what 2Pac was about. For a generation that didn’t have a King or a Malcolm, ‘Pac was poised to fill the void that Jackson or Sharpton’s generational distance simply couldn’t.

In 1991, 2Pac was brutally assaulted by Oakland police. This took place in the same year as the Rodney King beating and as such didn’t attain the media attention it probably should have received. In 1992, a teenager in Texas, claiming he had been influenced by 2Pac’s music, killed a cop; Vice President Dan Quaylin (sorry, Quayle) even stepped in on the controversy, pinpointing 2Pac as a problem child and railing against his lyrics. This only fueled ‘Pac with more energy for his second record.

In 1993, 2Pac spotted a couple of drunk, off-duty officers harassing somebody. ‘Pac stepped out of his car and an altercation soon ensued. As told by Mopreme Shakur, ‘Pac got down on one knee and shot both of these cops in the ass. Literally, shot them in the ass. And he beat the case soon afterwards, dancing his way out of court. Now that’s gangsta. Later that year, ‘Pac was hit with a rape charge which, until his death, he vehemently denied any wrongdoing. On a posthumously-released track, ‘Pac spit: “Tell the world I feel guilty to being anxious/ Ain't no way in hell, that I could ever be rapist/”. In 1994, 2Pac assaulted the Hughes Brothers at a music video shoot. He also dated Madonna for a while. Later on that year, 2Pac was gunned down in a recording studio lobby, hit by bullets on all angles of his body. As 2Pac was being wheeled off into an ambulance, he infamously greeted photographers with a present: the bird. That’s right. Bandaged up, being carted off by paramedics, ‘Pac was still ‘Pac.

So just to recap, in four short years, 2Pac assumed the role of Rodney King, Kobe Bryant and Mike Tyson with a little bit of Malcolm X, all in one. Add to that, he essentially survived an assassination attempt. Add to that, ‘Pac was only 23 in 1994. I haven’t even gotten into 1995 and 1996. Yet.

In 1995, 2Pac served his prison sentence at Clinton Correctional Facility while his album, Me Against the World, reached number one on the Billboard 200 charts. 2Pac was and still is the only artist to go #1 while in jail. (Give it up, Gucci and Boosie, it’ll never happen.) The album also moved a quarter-million copies in its first week, a number unseen by any rap artist at the time.

1996 was the year that 2Pac became a supernova. He dropped All Eyez on Me, a vicious record with threat-filled bangers and anthems. “Hit ‘Em Up” was – and still is – the greatest diss record ever released. And the rest is history. 2Pac got shot up in Vegas, spent seven days in the hospital while the world prayed for him, and then he died at the age of 25.

It’s no surprise that 2Pac died at such a young age since he lived life at such an accelerated speed. No other rapper/emcee has a life story that even attempts to come close to ‘Pac’s. And I haven’t even discussed his cultural impact, his movies, or analyzed his music, let alone his poetic lyricism and unmatched passion. Overrated? I think not.

http://hiphopisread.blogspot.com/2009/11/tupac-shakur-still-overlooked.html

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 04:13:37 PM »
Yes u are.

Yeah, the answer to the thread is "YES U ARE".

...And for those that say 2pac wasn't the best emcee/rapper, do you really think he would sound dope if he was trying to rap with a Rakim/Biggie/Nas type of flow?  You have to understand every rapper has their own style.  2pac's style was that he rapped from his heart, from his gut.  He would of sounded wack trying to flow and rap like Eminem on "Just Don't Give A Fuck"
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 04:46:01 PM »
If you listen to Makaveli The Don and than say he was not an mc? You just stupid!!! That guy may have not been the best MC but there is a lot of great mc's!! Thats not rare!! 2Pac was rare! He was a poet, Mc, Political, conscience, passionate motherfucker!! Lyrics aint everything in rap! His flow was sick! His passion and delivery! He was a sick writer! Sick hooks! I mean, i think thats what makes a great mc! When your versatile! Jordan was not a better passer than magic or a better shooter than bird but he was still the best player in the nba! He was not the best at one thing but Pac was great at many things!! His messages! His music was for everyone! I mean if he is not your favorite, i understand but to say he was overrated is plain stupid!! If the OG's in the game like Nas or Snoop Or Dre or eminem etc etc say he was great, why the fuck should i care what u think!! They are the legends, who are u??? Thats just how i see it! You also have to consider that Pac was only like 25! Dude was not even at his peak yet! Maybe that the reason why you the only person who though he was average! Cuz you wrong homie!!! hahahaha
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

Get It Off Ya Chest

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 05:05:29 PM »
If you listen to Makaveli The Don and than say he was not an mc? You just stupid!!! That guy may have not been the best MC but there is a lot of great mc's!! Thats not rare!! 2Pac was rare! He was a poet, Mc, Political, conscience, passionate motherfucker!! Lyrics aint everything in rap! His flow was sick! His passion and delivery! He was a sick writer! Sick hooks! I mean, i think thats what makes a great mc! When your versatile! Jordan was not a better passer than magic or a better shooter than bird but he was still the best player in the nba! He was not the best at one thing but Pac was great at many things!! His messages! His music was for everyone! I mean if he is not your favorite, i understand but to say he was overrated is plain stupid!! If the OG's in the game like Nas or Snoop Or Dre or eminem etc etc say he was great, why the fuck should i care what u think!! They are the legends, who are u??? Thats just how i see it! You also have to consider that Pac was only like 25! Dude was not even at his peak yet! Maybe that the reason why you the only person who though he was average! Cuz you wrong homie!!! hahahaha

i agree with you, but if you don't care what he thinks, why you writer a big paragraph in response? lol

Nega-Sikotic

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 07:17:01 PM »
Lol I'm loving how some dick riders are saying my opinion is wrong.

U.N.T.O.U.C.H.A.B.L.E.

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
fuck having lyrics or storytelling lines n shyt, when you have an artist that changes the game and makes u think, makes people think then who gives a fuck about biggie and his delivery. when you have an artist that 14 years later after his death still runs the rap game in certain ways then fuck the methapors & all that lil kiddie shyt, when you have an artist that makes you make better decisions in life just by learning from his mistakes then fuck mcing....whether everyone in this forum likes it or not 2pac is bigger than hip hop, its just the way it is simple...
i will be the first one to admit that my number one rapper is pac & aint nothing wrong wit that, call me a dickrider or watever but 30 years from now they will still remember pac anyone else is basically number 2 end of story.... ;D  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:31:39 PM by U.N.T.O.U.C.H.A.B.L.E. »

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 08:03:32 PM »
Comparing a rapper like Ice Cube to 2pac is like comparing Ice Cube to wacka flocka
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:11 PM »
fuck having lyrics or storytelling lines n shyt, when you have an artist that changes the game and makes u think, makes people think then who gives a fuck about biggie and his delivery. when you have an artist that 14 years later after his death still runs the rap game in certain ways then fuck the methapors & all that lil kiddie shyt, when you have an artist that makes you make better decisions in life just by learning from his mistakes then fuck mcing....whether everyone in this forum likes it or not 2pac is bigger than hip hop, its just the way it is simple...
i will be the first one to admit that my number one rapper is pac & aint nothing wrong wit that, call me a dickrider or watever but 30 years from now they will still remember pac anyone else is basically number 2 end of story.... ;D  

Co-Sign!

2pac is a legend we are talking about greatest of all time.  No other rappers can compare or are worth debating his name with.

He was the voice of a whole generation...

If you want to have a debate about his greatness then we need to compare with names such as these... Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Elvis Presley, Van Gogh, Shakespeare, Malcolm X, Lucky Dube, James Dean, JFK, Michael Jackson...people who were the voice of their generation.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »

i agree with you, but if you don't care what he thinks, why you writer a big paragraph in response? lol
Cmon Homie??? You get the point dont you? How else am i supposed to let him know what i think! Even if i dont care, it dont mean u cant say it!! Im making a Point!
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 11:08:48 PM »
Lol I'm loving how some dick riders are saying my opinion is wrong.
Im also loving how stupid you looking!!! YEEEEESSS!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

DonCorleone187

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 11:44:10 PM »
dude is just starving for attention saying that cmon now

Hazzard

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 12:56:47 AM »
dude is just starving for attention saying that cmon now
if she swallow during brains, that's game she soaking up!

fabtoxicp

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 01:22:27 AM »
*sigh* i knew this would happen-

bottomline:
when u are defining mc's worthy of the goat-tiles in hiphop - one of the stripes a rapper has to have on his belt - is flow, lyrical wordplay, mic-capabilities etc etc -
there are 4 elements to hiphop - the "master of the crowd"-subject bein one of the more important ones, dat ppl should keep in mind when ranking artists

content matter, interesting characteriscs, timeless music, legacy and charisma can't outweigh EVERYTHING for an artist lol - therefore, 2pac is overrated, and cant never ever be the greatest of all time, simple

NOW, i kno ya wanna think im crazy fo this, but rest assure - dont get it twisted, im probly a bigger 2pac-fan than most of u

all im sayin is, dat 2pac was overrated and the correct impression ppl should have of him, is dat he was a great poet and artist, more than a great rapper

absolutely, pac deserves the halloffame-mention, but he sure as hell isn't goin down as the best fuckin rapper
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:37:03 AM by fabtoxicp »

Africandogg

• 'G'
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 04:36:02 AM »
No matter wat ur opinion is, Pac eats ur fav rapper any day. Too sad he had to go away so early. Imagine If I die 2nite frm MATW, tht beat is some difficult to rhyme over bt Pac made it seem so simple. Throwin P's like it aint shit.