Author Topic: Nas-Gods_Son-(Clean_Retail)-2CD-2002-RNS  (Read 334 times)

Rick

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Kweli
Nas-Gods_Son-(Clean_Retail)-2CD-2002-RNS
« on: November 28, 2002, 04:56:47 PM »
 ;D

Oh well, so it's clean. Anyways, I'm downloading it right now so I can't really say much about it.

Rick

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Kweli
Re:Nas-Gods_Son-(Clean_Retail)-2CD-2002-RNS
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 05:05:52 PM »
I'll give a little quick, half-ass synopsis of it.

01 Get Down - Nice little guitar-sounding beat. It's pretty good. It samples someone saying 'Get Down' for the chorus. A good way to open the cd.

02 The Cross - I think this is a good choice to follow track one. The beat is dope too. He mostly talks about New York. It was produced by Eminem.

03 Made You Look - His first single I'm sure you've all heard it.

04 Last Real Nigga Alive - He basically raps about how he's real and others aren't. I like this track too.

05 Zone Out (ft. Bravehearts) - I don't really like this beat. First track I don't really care for. I hope it grows on me.

06 Hey Nas (ft. Kelis and Claudette Ortiz) - This is a tight song. I love the beat and his flow fits the song perfectly.

07 I Can
08 Book of Rhymes
09 Thug Mansion (ft. 2pac)
10 Mastermind
11 Warrior Song (ft. Alicia Keys)
12 Revolutionary Warfare (ft. Lake)
13 Dance
14 Heaven (ft. Jully Black)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2002, 05:15:55 PM by Rick »

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 06:15:03 PM »
"Get Down" wow.. the sample at the start had me expecting a lot harder sound... nice joint, beat is more mellow than expected.  the Sample/Breakbeat hook is nice. beat switches around 2:18... switches again then comes back to the first....

"The Cross" the piano/drum combo is nice... beat becomes excellent when the strings come in... great song... the chorus is nice and Nas spits well... its nice to hear a chorus that's just rapped... no frills except a great switch from the strings...

"Made You Look" still like this break.... still enjoy this song, it fits the album well so far.  straight hip-hop joint.

"Last Real Nigga Alive" don't like the beat as much as the others... its not bad just different... the clap is distracting... this is the joint with that line about kick in the door.... the beat is growing on me, and Nas sounds really good... talks about wu/biggie beef... just breaks down his history in hip-hop...

"Zone Out" ft. Bravehearts
i'm anything but a fan of bravehearts... and this beat is garbage.... Nas keeps making dope shit and then bravehearts come fuck it up...

"Hey Nas" ft. Kelis & Claudette
the beat is okay... real old school drum style... Nas has good energy on it... the hook is what it is... bout what i expected.  thankfully they stay off the song otherwise...

"I Can" nice piano sampling.  tune is recognizable... drums continue with their old feel... the kids echoing Nas in the hook are kinda annoying.  Nas drops some dope messages on here.

"Book Of Rhymes" alchemist beat... nice beat.  Nas apparently spits some old verses out of rhyme books... he flips around through different books... nice song concept definitely.  

"Thugz Mansion (N.Y.)" ft. Tupac
i dig the guitar on here big time. Nas drops some good verses, as does Pac.  It seemed familiar to me but *shrug*... dont know why

"Mastermind" this beat reminds me of 80's shit... good joint... Nas is solid on it... flows well with the beat...

"Warrior Song" ft. Alicia Keys
beat is a big tempo shift from most of the album... i like the stop and start feeling... Alicia does a nice job with the piano... she fits the song well... Nas sounds very good on this one.  

"Revolutionary Warfare"
the beat is dope... reminds me of some joint but i dunno what... Nas spits well... so does Lake.  

"Dance"
nice beat... Nas continues to be consistently good... the hook made me go ?!? the first time but its cool... fits the song...

'Heaven" ft. Jully Black
i'm assuming this is the Saukrates beat since Jully is on here... nice hard drums... good sample... dope song about Nas' mother....

the second disc...

Thugz Mirror (Freestyle) is cool.. couple of verses over an okay beat

Pussy Killz has a nice piano loop... drums sound like some 80s shit again... dope dope song... excellent story

The G.O.D.  i half expected "Father Part Three"... hah... this is just Nas spitting. less than 3 minutes...

all in all its a good album... total opposite of the album it'll be compared to (blueprint 2) in that its a very subdued and subtle sounding album.  also very roots-oriented in terms of production... personally i think its a great album... hard to appreciated for some though... its best heard if you can sit and listen end to end... that's the best way to show its intent... i say a 4/5... leaning higher.  has more lasting appeal than Jay's effort, without the "big hits".  

Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

teecee

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 06:30:26 PM »
Yo cliche, you know i am not gonna listen to the album until it drops, so thanks for the rundown.  Damn, i still think it is crazy that Nas doesnt have IRV, JA, or Ashanti on the cd....to all the jay z fans and nas bashers who were dissing nas for riding with INC, i guess you can officially eat a fat dick!

Good point about not being able to compare Nas to jayz Blueprint 2, as both are totally different.  Jay is a dope commercial rapper, NAs is the best at the real hiphop...

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Future Revolutionary Classic
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2002, 07:36:20 PM »
please send the songs to dubcnn members so we can hear them or plz upload them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This album recieved 3 Mics in the Source.....BS
Go support him and go buy it!

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2002, 08:33:52 PM »
upload em where?
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2002, 03:26:04 AM »
Sounding good. Just like Teecee has said i'm not gonna listen to or download the album, i'm gonna cop it fresh. I'm so glad Nas has decided to do this album without any Murder INC affiliation, he probably heard from his real fans that didn't want that to happen!!

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

King-Suge

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 1000 plus posts under my belt..Its GOOD to be King
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2002, 10:24:58 AM »
Nas is really fickle.  One minute him and Ja Rule {"the gods as they call themselves") were going to take over the game together, then Nas doesnt want any of them on his album?  Something doesnt seem right..

But yah..Im glad Nas didnt have any murder inc influence ,, though after hearing this album its not nearly as good as Lost Tapes and is not much more than 3 mics...as of now.  This is only the censored version so who knows.
I only gave you the crown, so I could shoot it off your fucking head-Suge

Refer to me as your highness or dont refer at all

The King is Eddie Winslow/Youre a modern day Urkel/Ill throw you in the pool and hide your pink snorkel.

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2002, 10:53:12 PM »
Well, It's great that there's no murder inc inmates on this shit, it already gives hope....but if anyone read my post on NAS joining INC sometime ago, you know it ain't only about straight up collabo'z.
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?