Author Topic: 2Pac - Better Dayz  (Read 2192 times)

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
2Pac - Better Dayz
« on: November 29, 2002, 11:29:48 AM »
2Pac – Better Dayz

Disc 1:
1. Intro
2. Still ballin’…Fast pace, hard hitting beat.  Pac lays down the first and last verses.  They’re short, but tight.  Trick Daddy raps over the second verse and comes off sounding very good.  4/5
3. When we ride on our enemies…Pac’s vocals have been slowed considerably from the original version of this track.  The production is still tight though.  Powerful delivery.  4/5
4. Changed man…Nice production, which fits lyrical content well.  The hook is decent, except when Jazze Pha gets high-pitched.  T.I.’s verse is nothing spectacluar.  4/5
5. Fuck ‘em all…Raw lyrics from Pac with threats thrown out at Biggie.  The chorus has an old school feel to it.  Outlawz verses are average.  3.5/5
6. Never be peace…This beat doesn’t fit the content and flow of Pac’s lyrics very well.  The production seems to water down the message.  Storm’s verse was taken out for E.D.I.’s and Kastro’s vocals.  3/5
7. Mama’s just a little girl…A classic 2Pac song with a message.  Smooth production sounds like it could be very close to the original version.  Quiet hook by Kimmy Hill is perfect.  4/5
8. Street fame…Production is too repetitve here.  2Pac’s verses just don’t have the same power with this remix.  3.5/5
9. Whatcha gonna do…This production sounds way too “down south” for 2Pac’s flow.  His lyrics are still tight, but they don’t go with this beat.  Kastro and Young Noble sound pretty good on this track.  3/5
10.   Fair exchange…Pac comes with another one of his “fuck songs”.  Tight lyrics, but the production is bland and repetitive.  The original chorus was a lot better than Jazze Pha’s.  3.5/5
11.   Late night…From the Chronic 2000 compilation.  Tight, unique beat from DJ Quik.  Pac and the Outlawz come tight.  4.5/5
12.   Ghetto star…Tight beat, although the original was hella better.  Hard ass Pac verses.  Nutso lays down some good vocals.  4/5
13.   Thugz mansion (Acoustic)…This should have been left off of the album entirely.  The guitar strings do not match the vocals whatsoever.  Nas has a tight verse, which would have sounded great on a real beat.  1/5

Disc 2:
1. My block remix…Frank Nitty did a great job on remixing this track.  It sounds like a genuine 2Pac track.  The added hook is a nice addition.  4/5
2. Thugz mansion…Smooth production; very fitting to delivery and content.  Pac lays down some great lyrics with a positive message.  Anthony Hamilton sounds great on the hook.  4.5/5
3. Never call U bitch again…Great production.  Lyrics show a softer side of 2Pac.  Tyrese sounds great on the hook.  4/5
4. Better dayz…This sounds like it was kept original.  Great delivery and flow.  Another overall positive vibe.  Simple, but effective chorus.  4.5/5
5. U can call…Jazze Pha did an A+ job on production for this track.  Pac sounds great on this one.  Dope chorus.  4/5
6. Military minds…This beat is bland.  The original made the lyrics stand out much better.  Still a dope flow from Pac, Buckshot and CoCo Brothers.  3/5
7. Fame…This beat fits the song too well for it to be anything but original production.  Pac only has one verse, which is ashame because he sounds so good.  He sings the hook with a great singing voice.  Outlawz finish up decently.  4/5
8. Fair xchange…The production is too “hip-pop” for Pac vocals.  This remix should have been left off the album.  1.5/5
9. Catchin’ feelings…Production is boring and bland.  Pac’s vocals still come through powerful, but the original was better.  Outlaws appear for average sounding verses.  3/5
10.   There U go…Dope, slow flow from Pac.  Nice production.  Big Syke and the Outlawz appear and Pac finishes up with an outro interlude to the song.  Jazze Pha sounds good on the hook.  Too bad there’s only one verse from 2Pac.  4/5
11.   This life I lead…The production of the original version kills this one.  Tight Pac vocals, especially on the hook.  Outlawz finish up the track with their typical flow.  3/5
12.   Who do U belive in…The second song from the Chronic 2000 compilation.  Great overall song.  A+ hook and lyrics.  4.5/5
13.   They don’t give a fuck about us…Great head noddin’ production.  Pac’s vocals sound dope on the two verses he rides.  Outlaws sound good as well.  Pac puts down a hella tight and catchy hook.  5/5
14.   Outro

OVERALL…3.75/5

This would have been a hella dope album if the majority of these songs were kept in the original condition in which they were recorded.  2Pac always comes tight lyrically, but some of the production ruins this.  Although, some remixed tracks don’t sound bad at all.  It would be nice to hear some other guest artists besides the Outlawz.  Remixes and already-released-tracks could have been left out for other unreleased tracks.  Still, there’s some great songs scattered throughout this release.

js83

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:2Pac - Better Dayz
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2002, 08:04:00 PM »
great cd...one of the best this year...in ma opinion..

Disc 1:
1. Intro
2. Still ballin  3.5/5
3. When we ride on our enemies  4/5
4. Changed man 4/5
5. Fuck ‘em all 4/5
6. Never be peace 3/5
7. Mama’s just a little girl  5/5
8. Street fame 4/5
9. Whatcha gonna do 3/5
10.  Fair exchange 4/5
11.  Late night 5/5
12.  Ghetto star 4/5
13.  Thugz mansion 3.5/5

Disc 2:
1. My block remix 5/5
2. Thugz mansion 5/5
3. Never call U bitch again 5/5
4. Better dayz 5/5
5. U can call 4/5
6. Military minds 3.5/5
7. Fame 4/5
8. Fair xchange 2/5
9. Catchin’ feelings 4/5
10.  There U go 4/5
11.  This life I lead 3/5
12.  Who do U belive in 5/5
13.  They don’t give a fuck about us 5/5

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 04:54:52 AM »
Damn how can u give the acoustic of Thugz Mansion only 1/5. When I first heard it they did sound a bit weird without a beat, but that guitar has grown on me loads, and now when I listen to it Pac and Nas flow perfectly with it. For me the deepest track of the year.

Pillow

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2002, 10:09:25 PM »
I dont feel like reviewing tha whole album but it was off tha hook. to many ppl hating on this one, shit was tite.

EM28

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2002, 08:41:50 PM »
I dont feel like reviewing tha whole album but it was off tha hook. to many ppl hating on this one, shit was tite.

verbalassaulta

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2002, 07:01:35 PM »
well i think its ok...but im kinda pissed they reused the two chonic 2k tracks...theyre by far the best on the album..5/5 both of em...but i've already listened to them like a shit load of times...most the remixes piss me off though >:(

Jome

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2002, 08:42:48 PM »

13.   Thugz mansion (Acoustic)…This should have been left off of the album entirely.  The guitar strings do not match the vocals whatsoever.  Nas has a tight verse, which would have sounded great on a real beat.  1/5

2. Thugz mansion…Smooth production; very fitting to delivery and content.  Pac lays down some great lyrics with a positive message.  Anthony Hamilton sounds great on the hook.  4.5/5

I kinda agree with the acoustic, even if 1 is a little harsh.
The guitars sound totally out of place & there isnt even a bass-line or sumthin to make it thump.
Even the guitar is boring & average, I could have found better guitar-players myself..

The OG Thugz Mansion is classic though, that's a 5 for me.
The rest of the album:  :-X (With a few exceptions)

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2002, 09:42:53 PM »
Now that I've listened to it even more, I would defo give Thugs Mansion O.G. a 5/5

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2003, 08:09:16 PM »
^ horrible review dude
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Smooth

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2003, 12:31:21 AM »
2Pac – Better Dayz

Great call... I don't feel the acoustic much at all...
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

T.J.

• Wanksta
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my deck
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2003, 06:22:31 AM »
its a tite album...... im not reviewing it all.....

overall 4/5

kick ass album

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2003, 09:14:57 AM »
2Pac – Better Dayz

I was startin' to think I was the only one that felt that way....I don't think Jome likes it either.  

Great call... I don't feel the acoustic much at all...

verbalassaulta

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2003, 07:28:09 AM »
the more i listen to it the more im starting to like it...much better than uteot

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2003, 02:28:01 AM »
Its funny how people complain about this album being too remixed, but ive heard many of the originals, and to be quite honest, I like many of the newer versions better. Alot of the originals sound dated. Some of the originals are better, but this had alot new versions I thought were dope. Street Fame was definatly improved from the original. Id give this album a 4/5.......much better than UTEOT, which was quite the opposite for me: almost all the originals were better.
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2003, 09:33:04 PM »
Its funny how people complain about this album being too remixed, but ive heard many of the originals, and to be quite honest, I like many of the newer versions better. Alot of the originals sound dated. Some of the originals are better, but this had alot new versions I thought were dope. Street Fame was definatly improved from the original. Id give this album a 4/5.......much better than UTEOT, which was quite the opposite for me: almost all the originals were better.

Damn...I feel completely opposite.