Author Topic: Hella Under Rated - Quincy Jones  (Read 456 times)

Trauma-san

Hella Under Rated - Quincy Jones
« on: November 29, 2002, 02:43:47 PM »
Quincy Jones - Producer, Writer, Conducter. Quincy Jones has got to be the one guy in music with no superior.  When you say Snoop, his superior is Dr. Dre.  Dr. Dre's superior is Quincy Jones.  Michael Jackson's superior is Quincy Jones, nobody deserves the respect this man does.  

I'd even go so far as to mention Quincy Jones as the greatest producer of all time, and even list his talent up there with Beethoven.  

This son of a B*tch has won 26 grammy awards.  WON 26 GRAMMYS.   77 different times, the grammys nominated him as the best in various categories.  He's been nominated for more grammys than any other person that ever lived.  

He produced the best selling single of all time, "We are the World".  He produced the best selling album of all time, "Thriller".

In 1953 he was the first producer to record an electric Bass (A fender Jazzmaster).   How much has that effected hiphop?  Immensely.  

Quincy Wrote "the Sweetsweeper" one of the most familiar of all theme songs, for the network television show "Sanford and Son".  He also wrote the opening music for the epic t.v. miniseries, "Roots".  In 1989, he got Ice T, Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzie Gillespie, and Big Daddy Kane on the SAME ALBUM.  

Quincy recorded the breathtaking track (and wrote the arrangement) "Fly Me to the Moon" with Frank Sinatra, which is one of the most loved songs of all time, and was the first song Buzz Aldrin played via radio when he arrived on the moon in 1969.  

In 1961, he was promoted to Vice President of Mercury Records, making him the first black executive of any record company.

He's wrote the scores for 33 major movies.  

He produced "The Color Purple" which launched the careers of Oprah Winfrey, and Whoopi Goldberg, two of america's most prominent female Black Americans.  Quincy also produced "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" launching Will Smiths' acting career.

Quincy MOTHAFUNKIN JONES is the founding president of Vibe magazine, and half owner of SPIN magazine.  

The Boyz N tha Hood soundtrack was released on Quincy's label.

My favorite Quincy Jones albums are "Walking In Space" and "Q's Jook Joint"

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re:Hella Under Rated - Quincy Jones
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2002, 03:19:36 PM »
out of all of the modern day composers he's up there with them all
IMO

i think it goes

1. Henry Mancini
2. Q. Jones
3. John williams
4. Nino Rota

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2002, 03:22:51 PM »
^^ Yup.  

Production wise, I'd say it's something like (unless 'im forgetting somebody huge)

1. Quincy Jones
2. George Martin
3. Phil Spector
4. Dr. Dre

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2002, 03:31:10 PM »
^^ Yup.  

Production wise, I'd say it's something like (unless 'im forgetting somebody huge)

1. Quincy Jones
2. George Martin
3. Phil Spector
4. Dr. Dre

yeah i agree with that list too, i'd probably add B. White, and Mutt lange, and rick ruben too

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

DPG4lyfe

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2002, 05:54:54 PM »
i dont think he iz underrated but he iz hella tight!

Suga Foot

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2002, 07:02:05 PM »
I own "The Dude" and "Sounds" and they are both really good albums.  IMO these albums are both very ahead of their time.  This man has a lot of talent (and money, lol).

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2002, 09:23:09 PM »
Is "Sounds" the one with

"What makes ya feeeeeel like doin' STUFF LIKE THAT" on it?

and I think it's got

"Im gonnnna misss you in tha mornninnnnn"

I got that Cd, it's dope.  

The dude, most people don't realize... the guy goin "WHOOOO ARE YOUUUU" in the background is Michael Jackson .  

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2002, 06:19:33 AM »
Underrated? Hell no. C'mon now, when music critics and fans alike talk about great producers/writers etc his name is ALWAYS mentioned, respectively. Thats not underrated.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Myrealname

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2002, 09:06:46 AM »
OH MY GOD,its a joke.
Quincy jones is underrated ?  :D :D :D :D
Maybe in your hometown cuz he's a fuckin legend and everybody in the music industry knows it
« Last Edit: November 30, 2002, 09:07:29 AM by Myrealname »

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2002, 07:11:21 PM »
When is he EVER mentioned on here? Discussions oughta be like

"Hey I like that new Dre track (though it's not as dope as Quincy Jones)"

or

"Man, I think Quincy Jones oughta done some stuff on the new Snoop"

LOL I'm just playing, but half the people on here obviously don't even know who he is.  I posted this because I asked somebody online about him last night, and they said "Name sounds familiar" LOL  

Don Seer

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2002, 04:39:40 AM »
maybe because he doesnt make rap music...

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2002, 04:44:41 AM »
When is he EVER mentioned on here? Discussions oughta be like

"Hey I like that new Dre track (though it's not as dope as Quincy Jones)"

or

"Man, I think Quincy Jones oughta done some stuff on the new Snoop"

LOL I'm just playing, but half the people on here obviously don't even know who he is.  I posted this because I asked somebody online about him last night, and they said "Name sounds familiar" LOL  

Well, we did have a thread on him a few months back, that you made if I remember rightly, that got a few good replies  ;D This place counts for a small population of the world so obviously not everyone is gonna love him but I think anyone who appreciates good music knows who he is and even if they don't like his music they respect him. The people who claim not to know him have probably listened to and enjoyed alot of his music throughout their life but never realised it was him, I guess you could see that as underrated but generally he's respected by most.  

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2002, 02:08:52 PM »
maybe because he doesnt make rap music...

It was a joke.  Damn.  

His son's QDIII btw, and his daugher was in the car with pac when he got shot.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2002, 02:09:24 PM »
And, BTW, he DOES make rap music, you just haven't heard it.  

Suga Foot

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2002, 02:37:56 PM »
It seems to me that QDIII never does anthything anymore.  And when he did, his dad had to hold his hand through it all, like QDIII would do theme songs for Quincy's shows (Fresh Prince, In The House).  QDIII has potential to be great, but I mean what has he done lately?