Author Topic: Why Isn't Tear Gas Illegal?  (Read 259 times)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Why Isn't Tear Gas Illegal?
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:00:24 PM »
It's a chemical weapon, isn't it?

Iranian security forces fired tear gas into crowds of anti-government protesters Thursday. Tear gas was also used in Sri Lanka this week and in Venezuela and Haiti last month. The State Department stockpiles it at embassies around the world. Aren't chemical weapons like tear gas illegal?

yes, but only in war. The 1993 Chemical Weapons Convention doesn't apply to domestic law enforcement. (The United States was a major proponent of the exemption, fearing that the convention might be interpreted to prohibit lethal injection.) The most common lacrimator used for riot control is a compound called 2-chlorobenzalmalononitrile, or CS. (It's not actually a gas so much as a powder that's usually mixed with smoke to create an airborne agent.) CS has no long-term effects when used properly, but the treaty still bans its use in battle since it's difficult to distinguish from more dangerous agents in the fog of war. (You don't want the other side to think they're being attacked with, say, sarin, and respond in kind.) It's also considered inhumane to deploy CS as a means of weakening enemy soldiers so they might be killed by conventional means—although that didn't stop the United States from using tear gas to flush the Viet Cong out of tunnels and then bombarding them as they fled.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:02:32 PM by GET YOUR WALK ON »
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Muhfukka

Re: Why Isn't Tear Gas Illegal?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:39:43 PM »
because its non lethal. just like how you can buy a can of pepperspray, that is a chemical weapon too

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 06:59:51 AM »
pepper spray is a chemical weapon....damn and they sell it
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:17:23 AM »
Yeah but my mother had pepper-spray on her key chain, and cops confiscated it off her.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 04:16:27 PM »
what state?

Yeah but my mother had pepper-spray on her key chain, and cops confiscated it off her.
Cube

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 05:39:06 PM »
MA I think she was in.

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 05:49:35 PM »
Tear gas is easy to make anyways.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE