Author Topic: Dr Dre launches royalties lawsuit against WIDEawake Death Row  (Read 3368 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: Dr Dre launches royalties lawsuit against WIDEawake Death Row
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 08:04:34 AM »
Does dre really need 75 000 dollars?.......................

I've been thinkin' about sometimes that is Dre broke? Well, not broke but is he that rich like he does say he is? He left Death Row with no money. Who payed whatever had to be paid from that Truth Hurts lawsuit? Who paid all those lawsuits he got from the "2001" samples? Is Jimmy the one that's payin' all those writers who been writin' for "Detox"?
that's not true

Unforgivable by Sean John

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 08:07:05 AM »
idt hes really the most asked for in the game at this point... a lot of rappers just go to swizzy or jr rotem for the club banger...

also doesn't he do some beats for free? like for people in his circle or what not.

i know that raekwon paid top dollar for those 2 beats he got.

but like... did he "charge" eminem for relapse? im sure he collected royalties and profits from it but did em really give him 250 per beat?

i mean idk the whole situation is just fishy...  detox has to have an incredibly high budget....

Giesuz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Veterano
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
dre don't care about the fans he just think about money for spending in gay clubs. i have lost all my respect for him.

Zeus

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 08:41:10 AM »
Lol at waiting til Suge is long gone to sue for 14 years of royalties, what a fucking coward.
Best west coast board on the net, sign up

http://WWW.BASEMENT24.PROBOARDS.COM/

Okka

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 08:43:07 AM »

I've been thinkin' about sometimes that is Dre broke? Well, not broke but is he that rich like he does say he is? He left Death Row with no money. Who payed whatever had to be paid from that Truth Hurts lawsuit? Who paid all those lawsuits he got from the "2001" samples? Is Jimmy the one that's payin' all those writers who been writin' for "Detox"?
that's not true

You don't know that for sure. Who are payin' those lawsuits?

Lol at waiting til Suge is long gone to sue for 14 years of royalties, what a fucking coward.

Dre has sued Suge many times, i don't know if he ever got payed though.

Suga Foot

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 08:59:25 AM »
I don't think this anything to do with Money.  Dre enough of that.  He made like 15 million in 2008.  And he was barely active.

The lawsuit probably has little to do with Dre anyway.  He's probably got a team of lawyers that do this on the regular.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 09:54:36 AM »

that's not true

You don't know that for sure. Who are payin' those lawsuits?
well i know for sure that Suge lied about Dre leaving with no money: they were beefing

Okka

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 10:00:02 AM »
well i know for sure that Suge lied about Dre leaving with no money: they were beefing

Everybody has said that though. Most of the artists left Death Row without money. Suge used to buy them houses, cars and chains but they weren't makin' money that much though. Nate Dogg said the he never understood how can you create/build a label and own it and then just leave the label. Didn't Dre own 50% of Death Row? He didn't sell his own half to Suge, Suge just stole it and didn't pay Dre nothin'. I wonder if Suge has ever payed anythin over any of the lawsuits he had.

sms130

• 'G'
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 10:20:19 AM »

Everybody has said that though. Most of the artists left Death Row without money. Suge used to buy them houses, cars and chains but they weren't makin' money that much though. Nate Dogg said the he never understood how can you create/build a label and own it and then just leave the label. Didn't Dre own 50% of Death Row? He didn't sell his own half to Suge, Suge just stole it and didn't pay Dre nothin'. I wonder if Suge has ever payed anythin over any of the lawsuits he had.

Dre got payed when he left Death Row, just not all of what was owed to him. Dre stated this long ago. Clearly he still hasn't received what was owed to him and he's taking action. He deserves to get payed what was owed to him. Hell, all of tha former artists of Death Row does. That was part of tha company's downfall. I think it was crazy that he had to give up his ownership of tha label but, it turned out to be his smartest and strongest.

Mista Rosa

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 10:56:50 AM »
dre suing wideawake , dre dropping hearphones, dre with lady gaga blablabla bla bla bla...but he can't drop his album in 2010..... he better drop his album or go fuck himself
"There's one more thing I'd really like for you to do, never leave me alone..."

JohnnyL

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »
Lol. Good luck even getting $75,000 out of Wideawake.  They've never made any money with any of their releases.  You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.  If they didn't pay Dre his royalties, that is shady on their part.  But having said that, let me just say that Dre is such a cry-baby.  Why does an artist of his stature even care if some little operation which tried to do something positive with Death Row, re-released his first album with bonus material.  They actually honored his "cry-baby clause" and didn't put any new Dre material on there.  It's actually his fault that that cd ended up being released as an inferior product.  Maybe if he'd allowed them to include his unreleased tracks on there the album would have sold, and consequently, Wideawake might actually have some money for which Dre could try to sue them.  As it stands, $75,000 is just a drop in the bucket, compared to what Dre is actually worth.  And all he's doing now is kicking a company while they're down.
i'm sure you wouldn't say that if it was about your work

I'm not saying that Dre is wrong.  Technically, Dre is in the right.  But the whole thing seems very petty to me.  This is a company that Dre helped build. He could take some interest in helping it succeed. It's not as though Suge is still at the helm, over there.  There's no point in further perpetuating the animosity.
 Now, I agree that when they used his material, Dre should have been compensated.  All I'm saying is, I don't feel sorry for Dre.  Not only did he block them from putting his unreleased tracks on the album as the bonus material (as was originally announced), he did nothing to help promote this release.  I'm not saying he needed to go on an elaborate tour or anything too over-the-top.  But he probably could have released a statement endorsing the release.  By doing nothing, he passively contributed to the project's failure. 
 Even if he wins this lawsuit, I'm not sure he'll get much out of them.  I don't think they have much.  They certainly didn't make much money off "The Chronic: Re-Lit."  The company is obviously failing.

Muhfukka

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 11:47:42 AM »
this is probably one of the last nails in wideawake's coffin

Matty

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 12:03:18 PM »
if i was dre i'd sue them just for the hell of it. he can afford the best legal representation and at the least cause a lot of hassle/short-term expense to wideawake.

but why should he?

here's why - cause they released some of his unreleased music but mixed it so bad it sounded like some teenager made it in a bedroom. the best example is that doggystyle track. was that a joke or something? shit like that is ultimately damaging to dre's reputation and as we all know, he isn't exactly dropping leftovers on the regular.

Muhfukka

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
yeah but to be fair, dre has been doing a good job of damaging his reputation all by himself

Matty

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 12:16:34 PM »
yeah but to be fair, dre has been doing a good job of damaging his reputation all by himself

pretty much, but he's still respected enough in the mainstream. pretty sure the overpriced headphones are doing very well. its only certain fans that are annoyed with all the detox delays, iovine string pulling and lack of material/artists getting released.

then there's the argument about if his recent output/musical directions are any good but thats a lot more subjective. and its not like he cares what a few fans think anyway. its all about him doing the music he wants to do and still being respected as a legend in the mainstream.