Author Topic: Dr Dre launches royalties lawsuit against WIDEawake Death Row  (Read 3369 times)

JohnnyL

Re: Dr Dre launches royalties lawsuit against WIDEawake Death Row
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2010, 03:57:19 PM »
How did he settle on $75,000 when it's been released multiple times and has sold millions of copies in the 18 years its been out?

If it takes 18 years to sue for royalties for your first album and a minimum of 7-8 years to drop an album, does it take him 4 years to throw out a X-Mas Tree? Three years before getting an oil change in his car?

I hear he's already working on his next son, He'll be in the bed by june, on top by 2011 and then finish up in 12, he'll get her to take the test in Jan of 2014. Dre always wants perfect, he needs to come into the room and have it be like a movie.

lmao

Jimmy H.

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2010, 04:34:14 PM »
If it takes 18 years to sue for royalties for your first album and a minimum of 7-8 years to drop an album, does it take him 4 years to throw out a X-Mas Tree? Three years before getting an oil change in his car?
I don't think he'd even have a Christmas tree yet. He'd still be in a lot looking for the perfect one.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2010, 04:38:11 PM »
lol

I don't think he'd even have a Christmas tree yet. He'd still be in a lot looking for the perfect one.

yeah i feel what your sayin....he needs to take his time wit dretox...but focusin on this more than say makin another restless album is sad
xzibit is puttin another album and if it dont sound dope, dre is done
bishop aint there anymore and hes a million ghostwriters....jus make another restless album

thats what im sayin it aint bout the money but moreso shady bidness...
but speak on the dead man walkin album...what happened wit that and dre?
It was more about Death Row and Priority. I'm not sure about the whole specifics of contracts and what have you but the labels want the line to be very clear that if you're releasing material that is not authorized by their artist that you don't try to confuse the consumer into believing that it is the brand new album that they are putting together. I mean, for instance, if a casual fan isn't up on the whole specifics of that new Kurupt album and they buy it, they might be lead to believe that Kurupt put it out and is trying to make money by selling songs from older albums again. A lot of consumers don't understand how everything breaks down. For instance, if I was take an old demo of some hot artist that is making millions and tried to put it out under the illusion that it's a new album, that artist's label would probably send "cease and desist" letters and find a way to have it legally blocked from being released. A lot of these albums with old material while not directly endorsed by the labels have probably at least gone through the right legal channels to happen. With "Dead Man Walkin", Priority was really unhappy with Death Row doing it. Their decision to also leak "Tha Last Meal" before it hit store shelves also made matters worse. I believe Dre might have been involved in that suit as well as he was a major contributing producer and also released a public statement saying that for Death Row to leak the album was like "the ultimate act of hating on an artist". I know that for a brief period, Dre wasn't allowed to seek legal action against Death Row as some term in his agreement when he left the company but I think that clause became null and void when he didn't receive proper royalties from them for his work.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Muhfukka

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2010, 04:54:38 PM »
How did he settle on $75,000 when it's been released multiple times and has sold millions of copies in the 18 years its been out?

I hear he's already working on his next son, He'll be in the bed by june, on top by 2011 and then finish up in 12, he'll get her to take the test in Jan of 2014. Dre always wants perfect, he needs to come into the room and have it be like a movie.
hahahahahaha

Quadruple OG

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2010, 11:31:12 AM »

He's probably still doing his Christmas shopping for 2005 right now because he's trying to find the perfect gifts

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2010, 02:07:02 PM »
Does dre really need 75 000 dollars?.......................
$75,000 is the minimum amount of damages that you need to prove for these kinds of lawsuits.  For example, the recent defamation/slander/libel lawsuit that Manny Pacquiao (the boxer) filed against the Mayweathers, De La Hoya and Schaefer was for damages in "excess of $75,000."

Anyway, if Dre is really going after WIDEawake like this, I say they should just say fuck it and release Watch Ya Mouth and any other Dre diss that they have in the arsenal.

Blasphemy

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2010, 02:52:07 PM »
Well lets see this from Dres point of view.

They rereleased your Classic Album, with Songs that had nothing to do with them, they released 1 Chronic song for Free as part of a Contest. They Released Doggystyle, as well as used your name to Promote it. They then released one of the most highly thought after tracks (Next Episode) productions he had made and had another rapper whom he never worked with and had recorded over his and snoops while on the label who gave him the most grief. Then they released something they shouldn't. Natarual born killers.

That song was Chopped, Fuckd up and destroyed beyond repair. Virtually destroying another track he was noted for frequently in the mid 90s. Also still using his name for productions.

Plus out of all this shit you are still not getting compensation, despite the fact you were promised. Also The Dr. Dre interview wasn't even around The Chronic I think it was around 1995 or something like that.

Anyways, maybe that's how he sees it but still Anyone surprised???/ Wideawake dropped the ball on everything with this venture.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2010, 03:34:31 PM »
Anyway, if Dre is really going after WIDEawake like this, I say they should just say fuck it and release Watch Ya Mouth and any other Dre diss that they have in the arsenal.
  Do you honestly think Dre gives a shit about old diss songs? The guy's been around for over 20 years and has been dissed by just about every rapper imaginable. He's been called gay. There's been people saying he doesn't produce his own shit. Everything that could be said has been said and then endlessly dissected by people on the Internet for years.

They rereleased your Classic Album, with Songs that had nothing to do with them, they released 1 Chronic song for Free as part of a Contest. They Released Doggystyle, as well as used your name to Promote it. They then released one of the most highly thought after tracks (Next Episode) productions he had made and had another rapper whom he never worked with and had recorded over his and snoops while on the label who gave him the most grief. Then they released something they shouldn't. Natarual born killers.

That song was Chopped, Fuckd up and destroyed beyond repair. Virtually destroying another track he was noted for frequently in the mid 90s. Also still using his name for productions.

Plus out of all this shit you are still not getting compensation, despite the fact you were promised. Also The Dr. Dre interview wasn't even around The Chronic I think it was around 1995 or something like that.

Anyways, maybe that's how he sees it but still Anyone surprised???/ Wideawake dropped the ball on everything with this venture.
  I think the poor mixing of his production alone would probably be enough to drive him crazy.

Blasphemy

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2010, 05:04:48 PM »
  Do you honestly think Dre gives a shit about old diss songs? The guy's been around for over 20 years and has been dissed by just about every rapper imaginable. He's been called gay. There's been people saying he doesn't produce his own shit. Everything that could be said has been said and then endlessly dissected by people on the Internet for years.

I think the poor mixing of his production alone would probably be enough to drive him crazy.

Well he is a Perfectionist and seeing as he though the original Next Episode (along with the 1 on 2001) were perfect tracks, it probably pissed him off to see Crooked I actually take his original beat, and put his vocals on a track he thought he was perfect. I'm not saying Crooked I was crappy, but considering it was done without his input he probably couldn't deal with it. I mean if Crooked I had Dre in the booth he'd probably be spitting something else besides his usual Death Row gangsta shit.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2010, 05:15:48 PM »
I think it would probably be more to do with the fact that they advertised it as being "produced by Dr. Dre" because I can only imagine that it would drive Dre crazy to have his name on a song he had zero input with. I know that statement might come off as ironic to all the people who think of Dre as being a hack who steals beats from "ghost producers" and takes credit for them but I guess to me, Dre is not as much invested in being strictly instrumental-based as he is constructing songs that are produced thoroughly from vocal arraignments to the way the chorus is performed.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2010, 06:04:05 PM »
I'm not saying that Dre's feelings would get hurt, but it's been commonly believed that WIDEawake may have been holding back from considering that track for release release due to them trying to build a good relationship with Dre to hopefully get his blessing to put out his Death Row material.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2010, 07:19:32 PM »
Maybe but I'd say more than likely they are holding off on releasing it for their preposed Tupac album as they are supposedly contractually limited in how much unreleased Pac material they can release.

rollindown101

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »

Well he is a Perfectionist and seeing as he though the original Next Episode (along with the 1 on 2001) were perfect tracks, it probably pissed him off to see Crooked I actually take his original beat, and put his vocals on a track he thought he was perfect. I'm not saying Crooked I was crappy, but considering it was done without his input he probably couldn't deal with it. I mean if Crooked I had Dre in the booth he'd probably be spitting something else besides his usual Death Row gangsta shit.

Sounded like the looped sample of the Next Episode was put to a stripped vocal layer of a Crooked I freestyle... anybody ask Crooked I about this yet?

Leave the mastering to the experts and people who originally did it..

http://www.berniegrundmanmastering.com/engineers/grundman.html

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2010, 01:19:57 AM »
I'm not saying that Dre's feelings would get hurt, but it's been commonly believed that WIDEawake may have been holding back from considering that track for release release due to them trying to build a good relationship with Dre to hopefully get his blessing to put out his Death Row material.
that was just talk though

Blasphemy

« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2010, 05:42:36 AM »

Sounded like the looped sample of the Next Episode was put to a stripped vocal layer of a Crooked I freestyle... anybody ask Crooked I about this yet?

I wouldn't be amazed if this was done for a Audio Weekly and then never got released.