Author Topic: Dr Dre launches royalties lawsuit against WIDEawake Death Row  (Read 3386 times)

JohnnyL

Re: Dr Dre launches royalties lawsuit against WIDEawake Death Row
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2010, 06:24:06 AM »
Anyway, if Dre is really going after WIDEawake like this, I say they should just say fuck it and release Watch Ya Mouth and any other Dre diss that they have in the arsenal.
 Do you honestly think Dre gives a shit about old diss songs? The guy's been around for over 20 years and has been dissed by just about every rapper imaginable. He's been called gay. There's been people saying he doesn't produce his own shit. Everything that could be said has been said and then endlessly dissected by people on the Internet for years.
I'm not saying that Dre's feelings would get hurt, but it's been commonly believed that WIDEawake may have been holding back from considering that track for release release due to them trying to build a good relationship with Dre to hopefully get his blessing to put out his Death Row material.

I think you have a good point there.  When Lavi was in charge, I think it was doubtful that that track would be released.  The whole Wideawake/Death Row operation is basically under a new regime now though.  I'm not sure that they care too much, one way or the other.  And Dre suing them, probably doesn't do much to change that either.  I'm sure at this point, both parties probably feel that the bridge has basically been burned.  
 It's too bad they couldn't have gotten Dre actively involved in the creative process of the "Chronic: Re-Lit," cd.  If he had been on board, maybe they could have asked him to handle the mixing, himself.  Then, it obviously would have been done right.  The way the statement from Dre's lawyer(s)? is worded, it makes it sound as though Dre wasn't even aware that a new version of "The Chronic" was going to be released though.  Which is suspicious, because if he was only recently made aware that "The Chronic: Re-Lit" was out there, who blocked Wideawake/Death Row from releasing Dre's unreleased tracks, to begin with?  I still don't really see what the big deal is to him, about that.  The not getting paid, I understand.  But this obsession with keeping fans from hearing a handful of unreleased songs is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:24:21 AM by JohnnyL »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2010, 08:39:51 AM »
Anyway, if Dre is really going after WIDEawake like this, I say they should just say fuck it and release Watch Ya Mouth and any other Dre diss that they have in the arsenal.
  Do you honestly think Dre gives a shit about old diss songs? The guy's been around for over 20 years and has been dissed by just about every rapper imaginable. He's been called gay. There's been people saying he doesn't produce his own shit. Everything that could be said has been said and then endlessly dissected by people on the Internet for years.
I'm not saying that Dre's feelings would get hurt, but it's been commonly believed that WIDEawake may have been holding back from considering that track for release release due to them trying to build a good relationship with Dre to hopefully get his blessing to put out his Death Row material.

I think you have a good point there.  When Lavi was in charge, I think it was doubtful that that track would be released.  The whole Wideawake/Death Row operation is basically under a new regime now though.  I'm not sure that they care too much, one way or the other.  And Dre suing them, probably doesn't do much to change that either.  I'm sure at this point, both parties probably feel that the bridge has basically been burned. 
 It's too bad they couldn't have gotten Dre actively involved in the creative process of the "Chronic: Re-Lit," cd.  If he had been on board, maybe they could have asked him to handle the mixing, himself.  Then, it obviously would have been done right.  The way the statement from Dre's lawyer(s)? is worded, it makes it sound as though Dre wasn't even aware that a new version of "The Chronic" was going to be released though.  Which is suspicious, because if he was only recently made aware that "The Chronic: Re-Lit" was out there, who blocked Wideawake/Death Row from releasing Dre's unreleased tracks, to begin with?  I still don't really see what the big deal is to him, about that.  The not getting paid, I understand.  But this obsession with keeping fans from hearing a handful of unreleased songs is ridiculous.
yeah i find that strange myself.
but the blocking is old.

as far as keeping songs in the vault: you already know that Dre is paranoid.
he doesn't want the songs to be out there

JohnnyL

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2010, 08:53:08 AM »

I think you have a good point there.  When Lavi was in charge, I think it was doubtful that that track would be released.  The whole Wideawake/Death Row operation is basically under a new regime now though.  I'm not sure that they care too much, one way or the other.  And Dre suing them, probably doesn't do much to change that either.  I'm sure at this point, both parties probably feel that the bridge has basically been burned. 
 It's too bad they couldn't have gotten Dre actively involved in the creative process of the "Chronic: Re-Lit," cd.  If he had been on board, maybe they could have asked him to handle the mixing, himself.  Then, it obviously would have been done right.  The way the statement from Dre's lawyer(s)? is worded, it makes it sound as though Dre wasn't even aware that a new version of "The Chronic" was going to be released though.  Which is suspicious, because if he was only recently made aware that "The Chronic: Re-Lit" was out there, who blocked Wideawake/Death Row from releasing Dre's unreleased tracks, to begin with?  I still don't really see what the big deal is to him, about that.  The not getting paid, I understand.  But this obsession with keeping fans from hearing a handful of unreleased songs is ridiculous.
yeah i find that strange myself.
but the blocking is old.

as far as keeping songs in the vault: you already know that Dre is paranoid.
he doesn't want the songs to be out there

As far as the first time Death Row tried to release Dre's unreleased DR tracks, I could actually understand where Dre was coming from.  Because Suge was actually altering the songs by adding Top Dogg and the other (at the time) contemporary Death Row artists onto the tracks.  And he was trying to use them on a compilation called "Chronic 2000," which at the time, is what Dre was calling his "2001" album.  So it was obviously just a move on Suge's part to try to screw Dre over and piss him off.
 But from the interviews that were being released at the time from Wideawake/Death Row, it sounded as though their intention was to release the songs as they were originally recorded.  They even mentioned that some of the songs would only have two verses because that's all that was originally on them.  At the time, I didn't think Dre would probably have a problem with that because A. Suge was no longer in charge, and B. The songs would be left untouched.  Apparently though, he still did.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2010, 08:56:18 AM »
yeah, so either Dre or Lara Levi was lying.

anyway, look at Detox, how many instrumentals did he store?
he's insane

ikke

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2010, 09:05:52 AM »

he's insane
Look at how many shit from pac is still leaking, after dre dies we must have material enough for atleast 20 years.

Even the unfinished beats could make some dope ass album if they allow other producers to finish them

Portugoal

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2010, 09:10:46 AM »
yeah but to be fair, dre has been doing a good job of damaging his reputation all by himself

:sign_withstupid:

if i was dre i'd sue them just for the hell of it. he can afford the best legal representation and at the least cause a lot of hassle/short-term expense to wideawake.

but why should he?

here's why - cause they released some of his unreleased music but mixed it so bad it sounded like some teenager made it in a bedroom. the best example is that doggystyle track. was that a joke or something? shit like that is ultimately damaging to dre's reputation and as we all know, he isn't exactly dropping leftovers on the regular.

The only people who check for WideAwake releases are 2Pac groupies and people who enjoy that sound so much that they visit this message board. Only a handful of people even know about WideAwake and its releases. It's not damaging Dr. Dre's reputation one bit.

What is damaging Dre? Himself. Here's why:

What a bitch. This nigga has his fans waiting 10 years for another album and has the nerve to sue another label for doing something he can't seem to do? Faggot.

JohnnyL

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2010, 09:28:38 AM »

he's insane
Look at how many shit from pac is still leaking, after dre dies we must have material enough for atleast 20 years.

Even the unfinished beats could make some dope ass album if they allow other producers to finish them

Yeah, but that's if we ever get to hear them.  No doubt, he has to have a ton of unreleased tracks in the vault.  Knowing Dre and how obsessive-compulsive he is, he'll probably put in his Will that he wants all of the copies of his unreleased tracks burned. 

ikke

« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2010, 10:03:57 AM »

he's insane

Yeah, but that's if we ever get to hear them.  No doubt, he has to have a ton of unreleased tracks in the vault.  Knowing Dre and how obsessive-compulsive he is, he'll probably put in his Will that he wants all of the copies of his unreleased tracks burned. 
Like Greedy family members give a fuck.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2010, 10:55:36 AM »
that was just talk though
But anyone with common sense who has been following the WIDEawake situation when Lava held the reins knows that this was more than just a strong likelihood.

JohnnyL

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2010, 11:35:19 AM »
that was just talk though
But anyone with common sense who has been following the WIDEawake situation when Lava held the reins knows that this was more than just a strong likelihood.

I agree.  When Lara Lavi was in charge, I very much doubt she would have seriously considered releasing that track.  For whatever her faults, I think she was sincere in wanting to rebuild relationships with the former artists who had been burned by the original Death Row.  It's just good business sense anyway.  You gain a lot more from generating good will between people than you do from making enemies.  Unfortunately, Suge didn't seem to understand that.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2010, 11:47:46 AM »
I agree.  When Lara Lavi was in charge, I very much doubt she would have seriously considered releasing that track.  For whatever her faults, I think she was sincere in wanting to rebuild relationships with the former artists who had been burned by the original Death Row.  It's just good business sense anyway.  You gain a lot more from generating good will between people than you do from making enemies.  Unfortunately, Suge didn't seem to understand that.
Also a good point.  I understand where Suge's head was at initially, but the intimidation bullshit worked so well for him for so long (throughout the entirety of Death Row's reign and during his first few years in prison) that he couldn't get himself to take a different approach to dealing with past affiliates who broke ties from him and the label.  While a couple of those who jumped ship did so like bitches, most of them were tight-lipped or tried to leave on a good note.  On both Kurupt's and Snoop's first non-Death Row albums, they both gave shout-outs to Suge/Death Row in their thank you's in the album liner notes, plus Daz even stuck with the label for longer than anyone else on the original roster.

One thing I never understood was why Suge was always try to front like he had no animosity toward anyone.  Just watch his appearances on Jimmy Kimmel Live (where he was drunk) and on whatever show it was with D.L. Hughley.  In one interview, while he threw tiny shots at Snoop, he was at least saying that he "wanted" people to like Snoop (because he still gets money off of him), and in the other, he was talking about how he was "proud" of Dre.  He's a really bad liar, and it looks like without George Price, Death Row's PR just went down the drain since no one really ever says anything properly.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2010, 12:05:27 PM »
fuck a Dr. Dre who cares.  this board needs a Dr. Dre section.  all these Dr. Dre threads n shit.  Dre's not even WestCoast anymore, Dre's been on the EastCoast for almost 10 years now (excluding Eminem in the MidWest)/ we need to put this negga in tha outbound section 4real

Do Dirty

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2010, 10:35:49 PM »
Dre probably don't wanna see his legacy go the way of Pac's. Some shit isn't released for a reason and we know that Dre is a perfectionist. We all can agree that some of the those stored Pac songs that got released weren't all that great and even worse were some of those that were remixed or re-done (Loyal To the Game).
"You got problems with the punk police, don't run from the chumps get the pump from me"

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2010, 11:13:14 PM »
Dre probably don't wanna see his legacy go the way of Pac's. Some shit isn't released for a reason and we know that Dre is a perfectionist. We all can agree that some of the those stored Pac songs that got released weren't all that great and even worse were some of those that were remixed or re-done (Loyal To the Game).

i say 90% of them were dope in original form.....maybe even higher. 

r u still down was proper
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

ruthless95rip

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2010, 12:51:14 AM »
DRE is a PUSSY!

That foo probably regret's leaving Ruthless Records, fucken fag!