Author Topic: Your favourite music genre/genres?  (Read 153 times)

Matty

Your favourite music genre/genres?
« on: February 18, 2010, 05:23:53 AM »
i'm quite interested to know what people's favourite genres of music are and if hip-hop is more a secondary genre to their main interests. for me hip-hop is secondary to my interest in funk, hence i am on a forum that focuses on west coast music - in many ways a modern day evolution of funk music. hip-hop is heavily rhythm based and coming from funk i am really drawn to the kinds of rhythms in rap music. i am also a student for 5 years of a dance style that originated from the west coast funk movement. i would expect most people on this forum to be big funk fans for obvious reasons, whether they know it or not.

i feel like people are really missing out by not getting into the genres that influence rap/hip-hop music so heavily. i guess it depends if you are inclined toward the music or the message/lyrics in rap music. the reason i'm always commenting on production etc is because the musical side is definitely my main interest. most rappers are not saying much of interest or complementing the music/rhythm very well, if truth be told.

funk seems to be a strong influence in a lot of the music i enjoy from a variety of other genres too. so if i had to list my musical preferences:

primary genre - funk

others - hip-hop, r&b/soul,  jazz, pop, electronic, classical

i enjoy some rock music too, but generally where it crosses over into funk, electronic, pop and even hip-hop territories. dance music the same, when it has strong funk influences, which quite a bit of the time it does.

anyone else?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:23:31 AM by Matty »

tempo2

Re: Your favourite music genre/genres?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 05:33:51 AM »
+1 good post

yeah its the same reason i got into hip hop was the melodies and the easy distinguished rythm. Also hip hop production is generally very sparce and is the reason i like it so much because you can hear the different sections and how they interact with the other instruments i.e. in the bridges, hook and post hooks. Other music i.e.e rock (which im a fan of) sometimes its very hard to listen to where the bridges and change ups actually are. I can understand why you like funk and head kandi type music because the production techniques are very similar and there has been many crossover artists between these two generes i.e. the gorrillaz and danger mouse and even knarls barkley.

im a big fan of chilled out dance, ibiza cafe del mar type music that you can literally switch off from the rest of the world whilst you listen to it because the music is so powerfull even tho there is no lyrics involved. sometimes i like to listen to the music rather than the lyrics.

ikke

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 07:08:52 AM »
I've only started getting into other genre's.

Been checking out frequently sampled artist, mostly funkadelic, Zapp & rick james (the last one may have something to do with the Dave Chapelle skit)

NOt really familiar with rock, I really Liked what I did listen but I don't really know any other artists to check out (nirvana, RHCP & the sexpistols are the only ones I've really listened to.

R&B, well ofcourse I checked out Nate & R. Kelly out first who remain my favorites.

RingMan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BWS Czech Capo
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:43:05 AM »
I am primary hip-hop, but I was raised on rock and metal like Metallica, Europe, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath so this is the most frequent genre I listen to when I get tired of hip-hop

I can listen to anything - from electro (Daft Punk, Justice, MGMT, Steed Lord, Fatboy Slim, Röyksopp, Ratatat), trip-hop (Massive Attack, Portishead), funk (Skyy, Isaac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield), r&b (Al Green, Alicia Keys, Sade...) to pop, instrumental or experimental music. I just enjoy good music, no matter what genre it is 8)

http://www.last.fm/user/hynn3k/library?sortBy=name#p1
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:45:24 AM by RingMan »

Rap is not real, I don't care what they told you,
Fake people say fake things in their vocalbooth
- Soul Position - Mic Control

I make it hard to read me, graffiti flow - Rakim - Word On The Streets

Scrappy Doo

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 08:22:15 AM »

primary genre - Funk (Like most people P-Funk ,basicly anything George Clinton did, but im also into the other members Bootsy,Bernie,Junie,Eddie,Maceo etc....Roger and Zapp ofcourse,Geroge Duke well anything thats Funky lately im getting into 80s Funk/Pop-Funk/Boogie

others - Hip Hop (well its basicly  up there with funk)
            Jazz (Mainly Swing,Smooth Jazz/New Smooth Jazz and Jazz-Funk)
            RnB and Soul (Basicly Everything with a funky Twist)
            Rock (I like Pop Rock stuff like Bryan Adams,anything thats got a good melody)

Matty

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:34:51 AM »
early funk is cool, but for me it starts to get really interesting around the 'p-funk' or clap funk time period where you got more electronic influences coming in. that sound is getting really trendy again these days. you got plenty of groups that were around before and after funk evolved to more crisp production and just generally loads of obscure shit. its a goldmine of brilliant music 8)

Scrappy Doo

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 08:52:01 AM »
early funk is cool, but for me it starts to get really interesting around the 'p-funk' or clap funk time period where you got more electronic influences coming in. that sound is getting really trendy again these days. you got plenty of groups that were around before and after funk evolved to more crisp production and just generally loads of obscure shit. its a goldmine of brilliant music 8)

Exactly, James Brown for example is great but not that interesting to me..for me it gets really funky with Parliament and Funkadelic and the introduction of E-Basees and Moogs

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 09:21:10 AM »
I don't know, I gotta be in a certain mood for Funk. James Brown is the only exception. Like don't ya'll gotta be a in very good mood to listen to Parliament, Funkadelic, Rick James, The Gap Band, The Dazz Band etc.?? Lol. Great music, but I don't know, I feel like you gotta be a very good place to enjoy it.

Besides Rap music though, the best is Soul. Period. In my opinion. Soul. Gospel. All that shit along the lines of R&B.

Shit's only obvious though, especially if you into early Hip Hop in general, ev'rybody who's a fan, would love Disco and Funk. But to me, I find it hard, unless you feeling good, to go put that shit in your headphones like that. I love the shit like ya'll do too. But compared to shit like Soul, and Old Gospel and shit, shit, you can be in any mood for that.

MediumL

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 09:21:39 AM »
Hip-hops probably my favourite music although I'm finding less and less stuff that excites me.At the moment Soul, Neo-soul, 90s RnB, Reggae etc always get spins from me although that's pretty much been the case in my family.

I'm increasingly moving towards UK music as I go out a lot more and hence get used to certain vibes.

* Grime - simply for its innovative style and the energy that is created. It reminds me of everything older hip hop fans talk about when they mention 80s/90s hip hop.

You get Pirate Radio stations that have crews from London turning up and spitting over tunes. And then there's the key battling aspect where rappers meet at clashes to trade bars. In fact two of the top MCs are currently organising an event for them to clash.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dCZUSAvzVIs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dCZUSAvzVIs</a>

Then there's the wu tang grittyness of the production (although it's moved away from this as its grown older). Wiley came through with just instrumental beats and then you'd hear random guys come on the radio and lay some crazy lyrics over it and then disappear lol

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MnM8wrEGpXk&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MnM8wrEGpXk&amp;feature=related</a>

Boy In Da Corner is one of my favourite albums and I'd take it over most of the best albums in hip hop since 2000.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bUheZRulEpQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bUheZRulEpQ</a>

Then there's Trip-hop, Dubstep and Funky which are all things I delve in every now and then.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Matty

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 09:32:34 AM »
soul has been mentioned a few times. soul is essential. i understand soul as a lot of the foundation for funk from a vocal and musical perspective. definitely some of the most timeless and amazing music. but funk runs with it in terms of rhythm and upbeat vibe. its has a thicker quality, that all important bass guitar is prominent 8)

the production of modern popular music owes more to funk than any other genre...

what is most appealing for me in music is whatever captures that groove, that head nodding vibe 8)

Scrappy Doo

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 10:01:19 AM »
soul has been mentioned a few times. soul is essential. i understand soul as a lot of the foundation for funk from a vocal and musical perspective. definitely some of the most timeless and amazing music. but funk runs with it in terms of rhythm and upbeat vibe. its has a thicker quality, that all important bass guitar is prominent 8)

the production of modern popular music owes more to funk than any other genre...

what is most appealing for me in music is whatever captures that groove, that head nodding vibe 8)

Exactly funk got some of its roots in Soul/Gospel music if you listen to P-Funk you gonna see that the lyrics are basicly just hooks/Chants over and over again.

LONDON!!

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 11:16:06 AM »
i'm into all types of music genres, especially authentic street music from around the world thats raw and from the heart, has that soul, because i like to know what's happening worldwide, hood to hood, you see what i'm saying, i'm a international type of brother, for real like, ha ha, you get me

i'm mostly into these genre's though, for the most part

hip hop
bashment(dancehall reggae & roots reggae)
uk grime
drum n bass

i also check for
70's/early 80's soul
neo soul
soulful r'n'b
rhumba music from congo

i'd like to get into reggaeton, bally funk(i don't know how to spell it properly but its street music from brazil), kwaito from south africa. These are done in local languages, but they have that flavor, they have that swag, good music is good music for real like, you get me

i'm gonna learn spanish, french and portugese and other languages too later down the line for pan africanist organization's i'd like to get up an running later(its a at least 15 year plan thats been mapped out to get these organization's on and poppin, onced the capital has been raised) way down the line onced i've raised the money, so its nuthin
"get this money by any means nessassary"