Author Topic: An "on-point" review of Gods Son......check it!  (Read 212 times)

teecee

An "on-point" review of Gods Son......check it!
« on: December 01, 2002, 09:42:21 AM »
I stole this review from SOHH cuz i feel it sums up the album nicely.......i dont agree with some of the song ratings, but overall this dude has the right idea.

Written By: Mic Soloist

I have yet to get into all this Nas maddness that consumes Sohh each time his albums leak. I took some time, sat back, and reviewed this album. Here is what I think after a couple of solid listens. Enjoy and feel free to comment.

1. Get Down - 4/5

I like the beat and the whole vibe of this song, Nas delivers some good picture painting lyrics as usual. I dig the old school style. The breakdown towards the end is hot as well. I can see myself bumping this multible times. Not great, but a very nice joint.

2. The Cross - 3/5

The beat is simple yet it fits the whole vibe well. The hook is nice as well, though I don’t like the virgin mary abortion thing. Just not respectful IMO. This joint is typical Nas boasting his skill and superior talent. His flow is very dope on this though. The whole concept is kind of corny IMO but it’s still nice. Good track

3. Made U Look - 4/5

Nas is really putting out good non corny singles. “One Mic” and “Made U Look” are great singles. This has a great anthem vibe. Hot beat, dope lyrics, and a whole vibe that will have the clubs blasting this all winter.

4. Last Real ***** Alive - 3.5/5

Nas goes in depth about his beefs and his life in NY. I like this track. It is the typical rebel NY warrior joint with a dark vibe. Nas brings it on this. The beat was ok but the lyrics and hook really are what makes me like this track. Again, nothing great, but a good song that clears some things up and also explains things I never knew.

5. Zone Out feat Bravehearts - 1/5

The Bravehearts are crap. I’m tired of these MC’s bringing their wack ass friends onto their ****. This song is trash. The beat is annoying, the verses are weak, and the hook is garbage. The only reason it got a 1 was that Nas had a decent verse. I won’t listen to this again.

Hey Nas - 3.5/5

Nas does his thing on the lyrical tip. I like when Nas rhymes about females, he writes good songs on that subject. His flow is dope on this song as well. The R&B hook is kind of simple and unoriginal IMO..... but not bad. Good song but average for a cat like Nas.

7. I Can - 3.5/5

I thought I would hate this when it first started. The kids at the begenning were annoying as hell. Then Nas starts flipping some old school Slick Rick type sh-t. I like the whole vibe and feeling of this song. It isn’t something I want to play constantly but I respect Nas for being original on this song. He drops some jewels on this track and his delivery is very good. The kids are still very annoying to me though. The whole ABC stuff is hot though. Nas should do more joints like this. I like the positive vibe a lot.

8. Book of Rhymes - 4/5

The beat is hot!!! The concept is very dope as well. Between this, “One Mic” and “Rewind” Nas has really shown why he is one of the greatest on his last couple of albums. I respect his originality a whole lot. This is a concept I have thought of but never figured out how to approach it. It is something all of us MC’s deal with, so I can relate. This is a very dope joint to me.

9. Thug Mansionz feat. Pac - 5/5

I loved Pac’s version and I love this as well. The new Nas verse is hot. I still like the one on the Pac album better, but this is classic as well. Truly great song.

10. Mastemind - 3.5/5

The beat to this song is nice. Nas says some hot lines and the concept of a smart hood cat is something Nas can talk about on a first hand basis. I like this song but once again it isn’t amazing, especially for Nas. Nothing to dislike though.

11. Warrior Song feat Alicia Keys - 4.5/5

During the first listen of this song during the verse verse I was amped. This is a nice song. I love the theme and the beat. This is one of those beats that gets better when it is ripped right. It is very real and emotional, and the parts about his Mom are great. Alicia also does her thing on the hook. This is probably the best song to this point in the album besides “Thug Mansion”. Props to Nas for more positive inspirational music!!!

12. Revolutionary Warfare feat. Lake - 3.5/5

The beat and verses are all on point. Lake’s verse’s was str8 but some of his lines were kind of weak. (“Like a modern day Hitler”) WFT??? I do like this track for the most part though. More on the old school vibe which is always good. The hook is nice and fits the theme.

13. Dance - 4.5/5

This is some great music. This is where Nas is his best. When he picks a topic and uses his amazing song writing ability to capture it in a manner only few can. This is where all the Tupac comparisons come from. True brilliance. This is a great song.

14. Heaven feat. Jully Black - 4/5

This track is quite different. Nas has been very original and creative on this album. He is rocking different beats, and freaking different flows. He has a faster flow on this joint. the subject matter is more positive material that I love hearing from any hip hop artist, especially when it is someone as unique and talented as Nas. This is an old school style R&B joint with a spiritual vibe. I like that a lot.

15. Thug Mirror(freestyle) - 3/5

This is just a short joint on some street sh-t. It’s aight.

16. Pu$$y Killz - 3.5/5

More dark content and dope production. Nas doing what he does best which is breaking sh-t down and painting pictures with words. Dope track, but it didn’t leave me with the feeling that some of the better joints on this album did. Solid none the less.

17. The G.O.D. - 3/5

At first I didn’t like this song. The singing at the beginning and threwout the song is just something I don’t like. Then he proceeds to set fire to the booth. This joint has plenty of quotables..... fo real. I don’t really like the beat but Nas does come correct on the verses. This isn’t a great way to close an album but it’s an ok song.

Nas - God’s Son - OVERALL RATING: 7.5/10

This album is not what I expected. It is very old school sounding. It is also very dark in parts, and very spiritual in others. There were things I liked and things I didn’t. This is not a great album, but it is solid. I think it has more replay value than “Stillmatic” but I wouldn’t say it’s better. It isn’t nearly as radio friendly. I feel Nas made this album without air play or commercial appeal in mind. This seems more from the heart and real than an album made strictly for entertainment. This will not go down in history as a classic, or at least not in my book. Yet it is what it is, which is another solid entry into Nas’s classic catatlog of art.

Murrow

Re:An "on-point" review of Gods Son......check it!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2002, 10:07:44 AM »
This album perfectly shows Nas going back to the essence, the title sort of reflects it, and the music certainly does too.  Most of the album seems to be up-rooted from beginning of hip-hop.  You can hear that in the drums and bass on a lot of these tracks.  Good album, not like "Stillmatic" though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2002, 10:10:31 AM by Murrow »

King-Suge

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 1000 plus posts under my belt..Its GOOD to be King
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2002, 04:42:51 PM »
3 mics.  No more, no less.  I just like my hip hop with a little more ooomph.  Just an opinion though-dont get all huffy puffy.
I only gave you the crown, so I could shoot it off your fucking head-Suge

Refer to me as your highness or dont refer at all

The King is Eddie Winslow/Youre a modern day Urkel/Ill throw you in the pool and hide your pink snorkel.

teecee

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2002, 05:56:53 PM »
Yo king Suge, this might be one of the FEW times i agree with you, as i like my music with a little more "ooomph" also............this Nas album is definitely not one which is mindblowing, and therefore not a great first listen.  But this album is growing on me like crazy, even Made U Look.  Of course, some songs are ass (Zone Out), and some are plain average (mastermind, heaven), but all in all this is a pretty consistent album.

One thing i am sure Nas fans and Nas haters can agree on is this: NOONE expected Nas to come with an album like this, without many commercial joitns at all considering the INC affiliation.  Nas fans were worried, and Nas haters were laughing at the fact Nas was gonna have an Ja Rule and AShanti guested album with 5 Irv Gotti tracks............

Props to NAs for making a real hiphop album, but this album will not sell more than a million, which aint that bad i guess.  If Nas cared about the sales, obviously he would be working with IRV, Neptunes, and Timbaland..........

DPGC2003

• 'G'
  • Crissy M
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2002, 06:40:40 PM »
I think Nas realized tha doing songs with Gotti and Murder Inc would severely damage his rep not to mention his hiphop credibility...Plus it looks like those Murder Inc fools are on they way out as far as commercial sucess goes, their recent remix albums and compilations as well as Ja Rules last album have dipped in sales...Again Nas never dissapoints with his lyrics but the beats are ass and like dude said above me this album has no oomph...Not that I listen to Nas for that anyway as he has already made one of the best albums in hiphop ever Illmatic which if you think about it is probably one of the least oomph albums of all time...Right now I give this a 3.5/5 after only a few listens, It could grow on me though...
Rainstorm the back of the bank, bustin loose like Muggsy
Typhoons, Kurupt Calhoun
with a platoon of backwards ass buffoons
Ready to shoot anything that moves             Kurupt-Trylogy

eNgIeS

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2002, 04:02:39 AM »
At least this aint as bad as Blueprint 2

BP2 sucked bad compared to the original BP. Nas probably got Jay Z shook

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2002, 12:25:52 PM »
Thanks for posting that up. It sounds like a fair review but I don't know if i'd agree with it as I haven't heard the album in full yet, and I won't until it drops now. If this is anything as 'hip-hop' as "Illmatic" is then i'll be very happy, I know alot of people weren't that impressed with the beats on "Illmatic" but the way I feel is that everything on that album complimented itself. I'm not saying i'm expecting it to be a 'classic' in the sense of what "Illmatic" is regarded as but it sounds like he's consistently making proper hip-hop again.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.