Author Topic: Lupe Fiasco says that he doesn't want to be Jay-Z and be worth $400 Million  (Read 1063 times)

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Lupe Fiasco says that he doesn't want to be Jay-Z and be worth $400 Million
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »
Considering most of Jay's money comes from his ventures outside of recording (which happen to be based on his image developed from his recordings) then I would say Lupe could do it.  Any artist could create those ventures if they worked hard enough.  You're talking about investing money which if you have enough and know the intelligent enough person who understands good ventures then you too could do it.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »
A couple of catchy crossover singles on his next album and I'm sure it would sell well. Sell like Jay-Z? Definately not.

That's a myth. Jayz doesn't sell that well. He's more famous for being famous than he is for making super hit albums. I'm not saying his albums are failures but they aren't moving usually unattainable numbers. He hasn't gone more than 3 platinum since Hard Knock Life (ten years ago), and that was 5 platinum. Don't make it sound like he's Eminem. 3x platinum for Em is a failure. Shit, Encore went 5 and they called it a flop. There's nothing about Lupe that tells me he can't go 3 to 5 platinum with the right album and promotion. 9 or 10 is another story. And Jay can't do that either. The difference is Jay tries like the devil to get it.

I'm aware of Jay's recent figures, I was reffering more to his past album sales. Remember, Jay came from a position with Reasonable Doubt where he was being super lyrical and not really moving units, he made the concious decision to sell-out. Lupe right now isn't in too different a position that Jay was in after his first couple of albums.

His past album sales aren't any beter than his current ones. Only Vol. 2 sold huge numbers.

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 11:22:43 AM »
real shit? lol.

Lupe just can't make that kind of bread, so he down plays it.

no hate, Lupe is that dude; but he's lying; no man would turn down 400 million.

yeah...whoever says he would not want 400 million + Beyonce is either a liar or insane

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2010, 11:26:41 AM »

i'm sure there is a line Lupe wouldn't cross, but if you held a 100 million dollar check in his face & told him to make the song; he'd make it, anybody would.

Dave Chappelle

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 11:29:14 AM »
Maybe it's another way for him to say he doesn't want to be a freemason/illuminati  :o

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 11:46:54 AM »
Jay-Z is worth for more than just rapping.

Clothes; Roc-A-Wear was the hottest brand of those a few years back.
Beyonce; married that bitch.
Kanye; making bread off him.
Budwieser; got a piece of that.
Nets; owns them.

he is out there in the business scheme of things; of Jay-Z's worth of 400 Million, i'd have to say more than 50% of it are for things other than his rapping.

my point, is Lupe would never make moves outside of the mic that Jay would, or never get offered; no matter what he drops, he isn't the icon or name of Jay-Z.

making sellout songs won't make Lupe a 400 Million dollar man, he'd be lucky to get a few million.

how much you think Wayne made off this top singles for his last album? def. not as much as you might think.

anyway, i don't follow Rock & couldn't name you one Bruce Springstein song, but i know that he's an icon; i hear about him all the time.

you don't just get that from not being on top of the world somehow.

i'm sure there is a line Lupe wouldn't cross, but if you held a 100 million dollar check in his face & told him to make the song; he'd make it, anybody would.

but rappers aren't making that with one major single or even entire album; labels don't pay that much.
No he wouldn't, he's living comfortably now

Not everybody is like you, willing to suck a dick for 100 million =/

if i whipped it out with a briefcase full of millions, you'd get on your knees; you just know that will NEVER come along, so you won't admit to it; fair enough.

Dave Chappelle

LOL, touche.

alright, anybody who isn't emotionally disturbed would do it. :P

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 11:54:30 AM »

LOL, touche.

But there are people out there that really don't care about money or excess and just being able to play music and live comfortably off that is enough for them, that they don't need to change anything about their art, and will even go out of their way to have the songs and albums be less popular, by either making the production of it sounds less friendly to the masses or by throwing away songs because they are too pop sounding or bubblegum.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 01:29:11 PM »

LOL, touche.

But there are people out there that really don't care about money or excess and just being able to play music and live comfortably off that is enough for them, that they don't need to change anything about their art, and will even go out of their way to have the songs and albums be less popular, by either making the production of it sounds less friendly to the masses or by throwing away songs because they are too pop sounding or bubblegum.

you underestimate the power of 400 million dollars. :P

if you sat back & soaked in how much that really is, it's absurd.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2010, 04:02:43 PM »

LOL, touche.

you underestimate the power of 400 million dollars. :P

if you sat back & soaked in how much that really is, it's absurd.

Yeah it's a lot but some people don't care about that stuff. You could give them the money and there lives would stay the exact same, and the cash would just sit in the bank. It's not common but it happens.

And for the record, Bruce Springsteen is worth somewhere in that ball park these days. He just built it slowly through touring and doing his own thing, and not spending that much. He can make 50 to 80 million himself on a world tour after expenses, his catalog is something he owns fully and is a great long term investment if he ever wanted to sell it, he owns all the professional video recordings of his concerts dating back to the early 70s, and his unreleased material of finished songs can make up about 20 albums. Not to mention the 100 million Sony gave him for multi-album deal just a couple years ago, all the while having no say in the material he chooses to put on each album.

It's a pretty sweet deal to be able to do whatever you want with your music, make millions upon millions and have no one telling you no it has to be this way.

edit- he was just ranked #2 moneymaker or 2009 by Billboard, behind U2, making $57,619,037 this past year. More than double what Beyonce made, and he's 60 years old.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:07:32 PM by Shallow »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2010, 04:41:25 PM »
^that could very well be the reason he made the music he wanted to.

he knew he could do all that & get paid; he didn't have to make sellout music to get the bread.

& if you gave me 400 million, my life would be the same; just an upgraded house & fancy whip & maybe a boat; but as for day to day operations, things would run the same.

for me, it's just the thought of never having to do anything for money ever again & i can have whatever i want; money will never be an issue.

Lupe, already has enough for me (if he were me) to not complain for more; which i guess is why he said what he said.

Jay already has it all & still makes music that's mainstream; but Lupe doesn't understand Jay-Z isn't just happy with money, he wants to be relevant; which is why he does what he does with his music.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2010, 05:10:25 PM »
^that could very well be the reason he made the music he wanted to.

he knew he could do all that & get paid; he didn't have to make sellout music to get the bread.

& if you gave me 400 million, my life would be the same; just an upgraded house & fancy whip & maybe a boat; but as for day to day operations, things would run the same.

for me, it's just the thought of never having to do anything for money ever again & i can have whatever i want; money will never be an issue.

Lupe, already has enough for me (if he were me) to not complain for more; which i guess is why he said what he said.

Jay already has it all & still makes music that's mainstream; but Lupe doesn't understand Jay-Z isn't just happy with money, he wants to be relevant; which is why he does what he does with his music.

For the record, I'm not saying Springsteen is the best example of a person who doesn't care at all about the money. The fact he tours the way he does and promotes the way he promotes shows otherwise.

I'm saying some people never want the fame and fortune that goes with selling out. Some people people prefer to stay completely in the shadows; make the art they want to make and have no one know who they are for the most part. They do exist. There are artists who could have been big names on the scene but chose to stay very underground and make very little from music itself.

Steven Van Zandt is more known for being Sylvio on Sopranos than for his music career, and some of his songs could have been real hits. Some of them, that he wrote for other people were real hits. He made no real effort to break into the mainstream. David Sancious is a brilliant musician who passed up a lot of very secure money and turned down the chance to come back because he wanted to make jazz fusion as opposed to playing in a rock band. He can't retire off what he has and every day he turns down the opportunity to make a huge cash grab. He just works as a musician because music is what he loves.

These two examples are the two paths Lupe could go. On one hand he could stay underground until he's older then not worry about imagie as much and be in the spotlight a bit, or he could stay making mostly unheard music for the rest of his life.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2010, 05:36:12 PM »
^i suppose there are people on this Earth that would turn it down; but i'd still believe something was wrong with them lol.

& Hip Hop was originated for "young brothas" to get up out the hood & make something of their lives & most importantly, get paid.

for Lupe to turn down the money would be unethical in the world of rap. :P

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »
he hasnt been presented wit that kind of money so he can speak from far away for now and prolly always..but if he dont have it then all he can do is say what hes sayin
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Muhfukka

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2010, 06:14:08 PM »
he hasnt been presented wit that kind of money so he can speak from far away for now and prolly always..but if he dont have it then all he can do is say what hes sayin
what the fuck

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2010, 08:58:43 PM »
^i suppose there are people on this Earth that would turn it down; but i'd still believe something was wrong with them lol.

& Hip Hop was originated for "young brothas" to get up out the hood & make something of their lives & most importantly, get paid.

for Lupe to turn down the money would be unethical in the world of rap. :P

Still, there is something to say about someone that would turn down money to keep integrity and maintain longevity. I have a greater respect for the lives and careers or Springsteen, Eddie Vedder, or Niel Young than the lives and careers of Bono, Michael Jackson, or Whitney Houston, and that's not just because I prefer one style of music over the other. The former three names all live with boat loads of cash but also walk the streets with no problems and have discographies that artists greatly admire and imitate. The latter three made a bunch of cash but can't/couldn't leave their homes with out problems, had their music watered down for the sake of money, and have more businessmen trying to find acts to imitate them rather than kids at home trying to sound like them.