Author Topic: is having 'no losers' a bad idea?  (Read 180 times)

Don Seer

is having 'no losers' a bad idea?
« on: December 03, 2002, 02:09:31 AM »
I know.. yet another post about America.. but its just that i havent heard of this happening here.. yet. it might not be unique to the US.
don't look at this from a 'US' perspective, just from a socialological one, because thats all its mean to be.

There was some stuff in the media about how with school kids, whether it be sports or more academic pursuits
any participants would be "winners" and there would be no losers
so would a generation who don't know what it is like to fail arise?

i feel the product of this would be a class of people who cant handle
the stumbling blocks life throws at them because they've never encountered
failure. there have to be losers in life. u have to have up and down times,
thats what makes the whole experience rounded.

Nostromoo

• Lil Geezy
  • Ermintrude is my mum
Re:is having 'no losers' a bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 03:29:48 AM »
No this sort of thing happens in the UK to.

There's all sorts of shit like this that happenes here - like they banned kids from doing long jump at a school because a) the sand might be dirty as it's always left outside and b) they might fall over and hurt themselves when running up to jump.

I totally agree with your post.

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 05:56:09 AM »
Nope, it's a great idea.  Here's why.... Sure, we're all gonna fail, and screw up in life... but, one of the best ways to overcome failure is to have high self esteem.  

Look at people who are generally negative, and have a bad outlook on life.  They almost ALWAYS have low self esteem.  They mope around, don't get anything done, dwell on their problems, and it's all because of low self esteem.  All that is fostered in childhood.  If you raise a kid with high self esteem, they're gonna run into problems like everybody else, but the difference is, they're gonna look for ways to solve them, instead of just saying "oh, well my life sucks, everybody hates me, blah blah blah".

P.S. the school's shouldn't be the ones that have to instill self esteem values in kids; but since the parents aren't doing it, I guess they felt they had to do something.  In a perfect world, kids would have such a great home life that if they lost a sport or whatever at school, it wouldn't be any big deal.

Only 50% of kids have a 2 parent home (their original parents), and who knows how many of those are crappy marriages where the dad's a drunk, or the mom is addicted to bingo, or whatever.  Not only are schools having to teach kids the three R's, now they have to try and raise the kids too, since the parents aren't doing a very good job.  MTV is raising the children today, for real.  

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 06:00:59 AM »
MTV is raising the children today, for real.  

explains why all the kids here look like crazy jackass korn rejects  ;D

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 06:17:20 AM »
Well, that's better than over here, they all look like Nelly.