Author Topic: Extended jobless benefits start ending  (Read 1328 times)

Matty

Extended jobless benefits start ending
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:58:05 AM »
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Depending on extended unemployment benefits to see you through the Great Recession?

You'd better not: The Senate failed to push back the Feb. 28 deadline to apply for this safety net.

Starting Monday, the jobless will no longer be able to apply for federal unemployment benefits or the COBRA health insurance subsidy.

Federal unemployment benefits kick in after the basic state-funded 26 weeks of coverage expire. During the downturn, Congress has approved up to an additional 73 weeks, which it funds.

These federal benefit weeks are divided into tiers, and the jobless must apply each time they move into a new tier.

Because the Senate did not act, the jobless will now stop getting checks once they run out of their state benefits or current tier of federal benefits.

That could be devastating to the unemployed who were counting on that income. In total, more than one million people could stop getting checks next month, with nearly 5 million running out of benefits by June, according to the National Unemployment Law Project.

Lawmakers repeatedly tried to approve a 30-day extension this week, but each time, Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Ky., prevented the $10 billion measure from passing, saying it needs to be paid for first.

"Right now, the 1.2 million workers who will lose benefits in March are being held hostage by partisan attempts to delay and block this critical legislation," said Christine Owens, executive director of the National Employment Law Project.
0:00 /3:58The challenges facing job growth

Senate Democrats plan to introduce legislation this week that pushes back the deadline as much as a year, an aide said. The House approved a bill in December that extended the deadline to the end of June.

Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., said on "Fox News Sunday" that Republicans will support a temporary extension of the deadline this week. But he said there would be debate over how to pay for a more long-term extension, saying Republicans want to know how the government will pay for the extended benefits.

Of course, once the measure is approved, the jobless would be able to reapply for federal benefits, though they would not receive missed payments.
Critical checks

About 11.5 million people currently depend on jobless benefits. Nearly one in 10 Americans are out of work and a record 41.2% have been unemployed for at least six months. The average unemployment period lasts a record 30.2 weeks.

The unemployment rate, which now stand at 9.7%, is expected to rise in February as snowstorms in many states disrupted the economy and stalled hiring.

While unemployment benefits now run as long as 99 weeks, depending on the state, not everyone will receive checks for that long a stretch if the deadline to apply is not extended.

Those extended benefits are vital, experts said. While the economy is slowly recovering, hiring is expected to remain slow in coming years. The unemployment rate is expected to remain at about 10% this year, according to the White House Council of Economic Advisers, and won't fall back to its 2008 level of 5.8% for another seven years.

"Those benefits will expire, but the need to heat their homes and put gas in their cars doesn't expire," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., on Friday. "Those benefits will expire, but the need to take their medicine, or support an aging parent, or take care of their children doesn't expire.
Congressional gridlock

The jobless have anxiously watched from the sidelines as efforts to push back the deadlines took many twists and turns in recent weeks.

The extensions were included in an $85 billion bipartisan job creation draft bill that was unveiled in the Senate earlier this month. But then Reid decided to introduce a slimmed-down version that stripped them out, forcing lawmakers to vote on them as a stand-alone measure this week.

In order to speed the process along, the House on Thursday passed a bill extending the deadline to apply for unemployment insurance to April 5 and for COBRA benefits to March 28. That way, the Senate could have just approved the legislation and sent it directly to the president's desk.

However, Bunning's continued objection blocked Senate approval of the bill Friday.

This is not the first time unemployment insurance benefits -- which enjoy wide bipartisan support -- have fallen prey to politics. Last fall, the House approved adding up to 20 weeks to the federal benefits period. But it took seven weeks for the Senate to send it to the president's desk, during which time more than 200,000 people stopped receiving checks.

When lawmakers finally took up the measure, it passed by a 98-0 vote.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/26/news/economy/unemployment_insurance/

Sikotic™

Re: Extended jobless benefits start ending
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 02:48:52 PM »
Senator Jim Bunning is a dick.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 04:10:37 PM »
He may be a dick, but there has to be someone on this forum that thinks what he did was good. I mean we have a lot of Ron Paul people.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 09:39:49 PM »
He may be a dick, but there has to be someone on this forum that thinks what he did was good. I mean we have a lot of Ron Paul people.

I didn't have time to read the article, but as a Libertarian I definitely don't support the government being given the power to steal from people who do work to pay people who don't work.  

See, MDogg seems to believe that Barack Obama and them just reach into their pocket and give because they are so generous, and that the money that the government gives is out of generosity and for the common good of everyone.  And if the government would only just give more, more in health care, more security, give more jobs, and just give and give and give, the world would be a better place.

The problem is, the money doesn't come out of the politicians pockets and it doesn't come from the sky, it is THEFT, it is STEALING and we all pay for it one way or another.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 09:44:26 PM »
What sucks is that the smallest fucking entitlement programs are the ones that keep on getting fucked over and debated the most.  Meanwhile, you have god damn fighter jets being made over the limit just because the Representative in that district fought for the right to keep people employed in his district.  That's a bigger concern in my opinion. 

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 10:11:25 AM »
It's a start, but first we need to cut military spending (tell your boy Obama to reverse the troop surge he ordered), then get rid of Federal government bureaucratic nonsense like the Department of Education, then we can worry about federal assistance programs.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 12:09:18 PM »

I didn't have time to read the article, but as a Libertarian I definitely don't support the government being given the power to steal from people who do work to pay people who don't work.  

See, MDogg seems to believe that Barack Obama and them just reach into their pocket and give because they are so generous, and that the money that the government gives is out of generosity and for the common good of everyone.  And if the government would only just give more, more in health care, more security, give more jobs, and just give and give and give, the world would be a better place.

The problem is, the money doesn't come out of the politicians pockets and it doesn't come from the sky, it is THEFT, it is STEALING and we all pay for it one way or another.

^^^^Prefers getting robbed...

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 12:40:56 PM »
What sucks is that the smallest fucking entitlement programs are the ones that keep on getting fucked over and debated the most.  Meanwhile, you have god damn fighter jets being made over the limit just because the Representative in that district fought for the right to keep people employed in his district.  That's a bigger concern in my opinion. 

You can thank MDogg's man Obama for that too.  In his state of the Union address he proposed the idea on a spending freeze of everything BUT MILITARY SPENDING.  lol

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »

You can thank MDogg's man Obama for that too.  In his state of the Union address he proposed the idea on a spending freeze of everything BUT MILITARY SPENDING.  lol

You really can't blame the President though, the MIC has become way bigger than any President can change basically.  Obama is an integral thinker and it's difficult to fuck with military spending and not have a huge backlash from the majority of the American people. 

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 05:08:13 PM »

You really can't blame the President though, the MIC has become way bigger than any President can change basically.  Obama is an integral thinker and it's difficult to fuck with military spending and not have a huge backlash from the majority of the American people. 

453 Billion-  Bush Sr. Military Budget

377 Billion-  Clinton's Military Budget

496 Billion--  Bush Jr.'s Military Budget

^^^So Clinton was able to reduce military spending.  So now tell me why can't Obama?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 05:23:43 PM »

453 Billion-  Bush Sr. Military Budget

377 Billion-  Clinton's Military Budget

496 Billion--  Bush Jr.'s Military Budget

^^^So Clinton was able to reduce military spending.  So now tell me why can't Obama?

Because Clinton was elected as the Soviet wall was falling and there was the thought that we might actually not need as much military. Now Obama is elected in the middle of two wars, trying to pull out of one without looking like a pussy.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »
It has nothing to do with public opinion, the lobbyists control the policies inside Washington, do you think they would lobby hundreds of billions each year if it wasn't successful in their aims?

However as for benefits, infinite it's bullshit if you honestly think that social spending is the cause of the plight, the amount that is spent on benefits etc is small fry compared to what is stolen. The people are being fucked, if it wasn't for food stamps for instance then millions would die of starvation and if you think that's liberty, well give me tyranny.

For if your viewpoint was taken literally it would mean liberty for the few and hell for everyone else.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:30:16 PM by virtuoso »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 05:35:27 PM »
It has nothing to do with public opinion, the lobbyists control the policies inside Washington, do you think they would lobby hundreds of billions each year if it wasn't successful in their aims?

However as for benefits, infinite it's bullshit if you honestly think that social spending is the cause of the plight, the amount that is spent on benefits etc is small fry compared to what is stolen. The people are being fucked, if it wasn't for food stamps for instance then millions would die of starvation and if you think that's liberty, well give me tyranny.

For if your viewpoint was taken literally it would mean liberty for the few and hell for everyone else.

It has everything to do with public opinion. Lobbies money buys public opinion, Without public opinion, things don't get done. People are sheep, you know it and I know it, and people believe commercials that scare them. It's proven, it's a fact and it's what drives Washington today. No one person can change that, no matter how many gray hairs they get trying.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 05:37:46 PM »

Right, but it's the lobbyists who then drive everything we and see and hear as far as policies are concerned

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 05:42:09 PM »

Right, but it's the lobbyists who then drive everything we and see and hear as far as policies are concerned

I think we agree on this one... I'm scared, are you, because I truly agree.