Author Topic: 3 LA teachers removed over choice of black heroes  (Read 514 times)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
3 LA teachers removed over choice of black heroes
« on: March 03, 2010, 08:55:37 PM »
LOS ANGELES – Three Los Angeles elementary school teachers accused of giving children portraits of O.J. Simpson, Dennis Rodman and RuPaul to carry in a Black History Month parade have been removed from their classrooms, a school district spokeswoman said Wednesday.

Children from other classes at the school displayed photos of more appropriate black role models, such as Nelson Mandela, Harriet Tubman and President Barack Obama, Los Angeles Unified School District spokeswoman Gayle Pollard-Terry said.

The incident occurred Friday at Wadsworth Avenue Elementary School in South Los Angeles, where the student body is more than 90 percent Latino.

District Superintendent Ramon Cortines placed the teachers — all white men who teach first, second and fourth grades — on administrative leave on Tuesday while an investigation is conducted, Pollard-Terry said.

"The superintendent will not let anyone make a mockery out of Black History Month," she said.

The issue was brought to district officials' attention by the Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP after the organization received a complaint early Monday, chapter President Leon Jenkins said.

Jenkins said he felt the teachers acted in concert to mock black heroes and children's innocence.

"These are not the people we want our young people to emulate or believe these people represent the best of the African-American community," Jenkins said. "It's hard for the NAACP to believe this was a mistake."

Simpson, a former NFL star, is serving a nine-year prison sentence for robbery and kidnapping. He was famously acquitted in 1995 of murdering his ex-wife and her friend.

RuPaul is a drag queen performer. Rodman, a former NBA star, has gained notoriety for bad boy behavior on and off the basketball court.

Some parents at the school on Wednesday said the issue was overblown.

Sharon Tinson, who has two daughters at the school and attended Friday's celebration, said she had been surprised to see Simpson displayed in the parade. But she noted that Simpson, like Rodman, was a great athlete before falling from grace. RuPaul simply has an alternative lifestyle, she added.

She noted the event also included a tribute to pop singer Michael Jackson, who has also had a checkered career.

"I kind of laughed at it," Tinson said. "I wasn't offended."

Gabriel Blackson, whose son attends the school, said he also took a larger view of the ruckus.

"These guys were heroes before. People make mistakes," he said. "I think they show kids they can be somebody, to push them to be somebody."

Jenkins said he is calling for the teachers to be fired.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Muhfukka

Re: 3 LA teachers removed over choice of black heroes
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 09:06:55 PM »
hey oj and rodman are amazing athletes

Bananas

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:15:30 PM »
hey oj and rodman are amazing athletes

Seriously not only that but they were able to express themselves through the majestic art of acting careers. Fuck these cockgobblers for doubting.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 09:16:17 PM »
2010 and you still got pathetic ass immature people who gotta do this shit. Really? It ain't funny, it ain't offensive, it's just fuckin' pathetic.

Sikotic™

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 09:45:43 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Muhfukka

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:46:20 PM »
2010 and you still got pathetic ass immature people who gotta do this shit. Really? It ain't funny, it ain't offensive, it's just fuckin' pathetic.
i dont know, its pretty funny

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 09:49:12 PM »
i dont know, its pretty funny
Well I'm madd tired right now, so it's lame at the moment, maybe tomorrow it'll be funny. Ya feel me?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:57:14 PM by QuietTruth »

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:53:45 PM »
racism is here for good
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 09:59:50 PM »
racism is here for good
How is this racist?

This was done as a joke. I said it before and I'll say it again. Black people, as a community, get waaay too overemotional over stupid little shit, and everyone is aware of this. This is why shit like this happens. Someone decided to fuck with black people for the laughs. These teachers gotta keep themselves motivated somehow when they don't make shit for a salary. They're not gonna get fired over it, so why not have a little fun.

Black people want stuff like this to stop? Then they need to stop getting so damn overemotional over stupid little shit like this. People make fun of Asians, Latinos, Indians, Arabs, etc. etcc but you don't see them bitching and moaning about it.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 10:01:17 PM »
lol real talk sik
black people do complain
Cube

The Overfiend

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 01:44:15 AM »
Im an Australian...and well....Australia's black people, 'First Australians' are in maybe a much sadder position than black Americans...I only say that because I look at black Americans in the media and they seem they are doing well for themselves and they have a lot of role models there.

There are good black Australian role models but not soo many, there are huge problems in the black community here, so its understandable that children genuinely need role-models. That ain't no joke.

Don't get me wrong, I laugh at things like everybody else, all Im saying is Americans have most the year to joke about negrodom and jiggabooism is it so hard to be smart and actually educational for the kids just 1 month a year?

black woman your not a bitch your a GOD
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:46:39 AM by ILLUMINATI CLIQUE »

The Overfiend

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 03:57:16 AM »
Having said that, its all about context. A teacher could have OJ as a case study, because nobody is perfect, people have positive qualities and bad qualities, he/she could talk about OJ as an example of the human condition, how people have aspects that are admirable and life tragedies that can be learnt from. However, I doubt the teacher was discussing OJ from such a perspective for humans art tragically small minded. I pity the goyim, who could riseth above themselves if only they removed the shackles from their own minds....

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 06:36:15 AM »
for real is it a crime to talk about someone thats black and who happens to be in prison? lol
Cube