Author Topic: Catch me up please!  (Read 784 times)

Don Seer

Catch me up please!
« on: March 18, 2010, 03:21:48 AM »
hello its me again.. you know.. the negligent owner of this place.. :)

whats been going down in say.. the last 18 months or so of any note?

apart from seeing snoops latest (blah) in HMV i've missed so much.. including the dr dre dr pepper adverts n everything

please bring me up to speed!

dont bother telling me about the goings on of "website/mixtape rappers".. only people who have actually dropped at least one proper album...

unless there is something/someone extra special you think i should pay attention to..

and of course.. anything deathrow/ruthless/quik legacy related really or by the major players in the bay

and update me on leaks/releases of classic stuff  :)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:39:16 AM by Don Seer »

Okka

Re: Catch me up please!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 04:33:24 AM »
If you wanna hear some dope West Coast gangsta shit, i think you should check out Nipsey Hussle's "Bullets Ain't Got No Names" mixtapes. If you wanna hear some dope old unreleased Snoop Dogg, check out "The Lost Tapes" a mix CD that WideAwake put out and they also put out a 3 CD set called "Death Row Ultimate Box Set" that included a lot of tight, unreleased Death Row songs from Snoop Dogg, Tha Dogg Pound, Lil C-Style, Swoop G, Crooked I and others.

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 04:39:28 AM »
cool i'm hittin amazon for the death row related bits.. saw theres a "new" lbc crew track  :)

Okka

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 04:42:51 AM »
cool i'm hittin amazon for the death row related bits.. saw theres a "new" lbc crew track  :)

Yeah, it's finally great to hear all these songs in CDQ. There's a rare version of "Natural Born Killaz" with Sam Sneed on it on the CD, but it's messed up. It's slowed down, i have no fuckin idea why though, but somebody sped the song up and made it the way it's supposed to be. I'll up it, if you wanna hear it.

Matty

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 04:58:51 AM »
presume we are just talking about west coast stuff?

the only newish album i would call must buy due to timeless production would be quik & kurupt's blaqkout. a few crappy moments but the best tracks are classic.

that latest DPG was pretty good too...'That Was Then This Is Now'. and the latest Souls of Mischief LP 'Montezumas Revenge' 8)

i can throw out a lot more stuff in terms of individual tracks and non-westcoast albums if that's any use 8)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:05:12 AM by Matty »

Don Seer

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 05:03:23 AM »
non west coast is cool too :)

have got blaqkout.. nothing stood out to me

Don Seer

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 05:06:31 AM »

Yeah, it's finally great to hear all these songs in CDQ. There's a rare version of "Natural Born Killaz" with Sam Sneed on it on the CD, but it's messed up. It's slowed down, i have no fuckin idea why though, but somebody sped the song up and made it the way it's supposed to be. I'll up it, if you wanna hear it.

oooh that sounds cool! pm :)

Matty

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 05:15:14 AM »
ok here's some recent stuff i rated pretty highly...

Souls of Mischief - Montezumas Revenge

Freeway & Jake One - Stimulus Package (brand new pretty much)

Chali 2Na - Fish Outta Water (my top album for '09)

DPG - That Was Then This Is Now

J Wells - Digital Master 2.1

DJ AK - Sound Of Tha Tube / Killaz From Tha West

Slaughterhouse - Slaughterhouse

Redman/Methodman - Blackout 2

Canibus/Keith Murray - Undergods EP

Kurupt & Roscoe - Tha Tekneek Files

Crooked I - Pigface Weapon Waist EP

Raekwon - OBFCL2

Royce Da 59 - Street Hop

M.O.P. - Foundation

De La Soul - Are You In

DJ Honda - H4

Cormega - Born and Raised

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:18:54 AM by Matty »

Don Seer

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 05:20:52 AM »
Sick! major thanks for this.. i just dont have time to keep up with anything anymore

ones that leapt out to me!

Souls of Mischief - Montezumas Revenge

Chali 2Na - Fish Outta Water (my top album for '09)

DPG - That Was Then This Is Now

Redman/Methodman - Blackout 2

Kurupt & Roscoe - Tha Tekneek Files

any more info on these 3? i used to love royce.. but he fell off a bit..

Royce Da 59 - Street Hop

Canibus/Keith Murray - Undergods EP

crooked i released something?!?! or was this an "internets" only thing?

not initially fussed unless convinced otherwise.. :)

M.O.P. - Foundation

De La Soul - Are You In

DJ Honda - H4

J Wells - Digital Master 2.1

Cormega - Born and Raised

Slaughterhouse - Slaughterhouse

got :)

Raekwon - OBFCL2

Hazzard

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 05:27:02 AM »
if she swallow during brains, that's game she soaking up!

Matty

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 05:30:05 AM »
the royce album was kind of hit and miss but i include it because it had some really sick joints on it...a few with premo for example...

crooked was kinda internet only...limited physical release too though i think. short but sweet. it has this CLASSIC west coast sounding track called 'shoulda made a phone call' which is just 8) 8) 8)

the canibus/keith murray i was feeling being a huge keith murray fan. but with eric sermon doing the beats for it...shit was very nice 8)

the not convinced otherwise list are all ones i would consider very solid listens. pm me for any previews...

Shango

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 05:35:27 AM »
u should also get Horseshoe G.A.N.G. - Gangsta MC

Jome

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 08:50:15 AM »
any more info on these 3? i used to love royce.. but he fell off a bit..

Royce Da 59 - Street Hop

Oh no, he didn't!
Royce was on his way to falling off, but after he went into business with Slaughterhouse, he's been killing everything he's on, very rejuvenated.
Definitely recommend Street Hop, it's 90% class and 10% filler..

I've made a full length LP out of the Crooked EP, with the best of Crooked the last year or so, just CDQ and NO DJ of course.
Did the same with the Clyde Carson EP, turned into a full length LP, which proved very popular on Dubcc.. one of the best "newish" acts on the West, imo.

From the last 6-8 months or so, I recommend these:

Alchemist-Chemical_Warfare-2009-H3X
Capone-N-Noreaga-Channel_10-2009-H3X (If you're a fan of CNN, at least..)
Clipse-Til_The_Casket_Drops-2009-FTD
Clyde_Carson-Bass_Rock-2009-CR (Peep this thread, I made a full length CD out of his EP, West coast dopeness)
Crooked I-PigFace WeaponWaist-2009 (Peep this thread to see what a full Crooked LP SHOULD look like..)
KiD_CuDi-Man_On_The_Moon_The_End_Of_Day-2009-H3X (Pretty chill alternative chill-hiphop, lol)
Method_Man_And_Redman-Blackout_2-2009-H3X
Raekwon-Only_Built_4_Cuban_Linx_Pt_II-2009-FTD
Royce_Da_59-Street_Hop-2009-P2P
Slaughterhouse-Slaughterhouse-2009-H3X

Albums from 2009 that didn't really meet the hype or my expectations: B-Real, Busta Rhymes, Blaq Poet, Jadakiss, M.O.P., Saigon, Tash, Warren G, Canibus/Keith Murray, Horseshoe Gang, Rakim, Snoop Dogg, KRS & Buckshot.
All these albums range from decent/mediocre to horrible, but there's a couple or a bunch of good tracks on all of them, especially Blaq Poet, M.O.P., Tash, Rakim & Krs/Buckshot are decent.
Efforts from Daz, Kurupt & Snoop isn't really worth mentioning at all..

I guess you've heard the new Self Scientific single, DJ Khalil is everywhere these days, you should check the Khalil C.V. in the Vault & spot, lots of info & hook-ups.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:09:34 AM by Jome »

jory

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 09:00:56 AM »
u got to give slaughterhouse a go. u do know its crooked i, royce da 5'9, joel ortiz & joe budden?

Don Seer

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 09:06:13 AM »

Seriously.  if it happened in the 18 months or so and i didn't see it on the shelves on HMV by chance i don't know.

:)