Author Topic: Who's ruining hiphop?  (Read 720 times)

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Who's ruining hiphop?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 02:33:37 PM »
Didn't expect such a "holier than thou" thread from you Jome. I know you're not one of those white European guys that only listen to De La Soul, Dead Prez, Slum Ville and always talk about real hip hop.... so I'm surprised. All the artist you mentioned bring a different dimension to hip-hop and what hip hop needs is variety and it's still here, you just have to look for it. So you have your Gucci Maine's strictly for party jams, that ignorant music. And out of those you mentioned Jeezy stands out as somebody who always brings a dope album for the ride with little to no substance or logic in their lyrics. And Ross & Wanye create better albums than most of the so called "real" mc's.

Not sure if I agree about the final comment concerning Ross & Wayne but I co-sign the rest of this.   I'm glad there's more diversity in mainstream hip-hop than the past decade or so.  At the same time I'm afraid hardcore hip-hop will fall off on a mainstream level.  That's to say, I think hip-hop should reflect as much of life as it can and the radio should honor it by playing a diversity of hip-hop.  My problem with hip-hop has always been the way it's been dictated by the corporate wigs and the radio.  They shine one spotlight on a certain style until the cash cow is dry and then they run else where.  Slow down, reflect everything at a slower pace and then you've got more artists binging in cake.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

ikke

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »
rd.

You are.

Hip-Hop Elitists do hip-hop wrong, not the 'bad rappers'

So you're an hip hop elitist if you frown upon retarded lyrics with no substance, mumbled by random clowns.. good to know.

read the rest of my post please...

Sikotic™

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 02:50:37 PM »

Don't blame those dudes for getting popular.

I won't blame them for getting popular/cash, but I'll sure blame them for watering down hip hop and making a complete mockery of it.

Fair enough. They're just making the most amount of cash with the least amount of effort though. They have no loyalty to hip-hop and are out to make money. That's why they are all image and no substance (and the big reason why I've lost a lot of my interest)

And I don't know if I would call today's mainstream hip-hop "art" by any means, but it depends on who you ask. To me, art has to have some kind of creativity. Saying the same shit over and over again with a catchy hook that sticks in your head isn't really my idea or art, but that is subjective.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Jome

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 03:01:42 PM »
read the rest of my post please...

Yeah, I read it and agree to most of it, except the part about Rick Ross making good albums..
He got an ear for beats, and some how talented artists like Jay-Z, Nas & John Legend features, but that's about it.

Fair enough. They're just making the most amount of cash with the least amount of effort though.

Spot on.
No effort, but people are still buying it, amazingly.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 03:04:23 PM »
fans are ruining it.

if they didn't support today's music, record labels wouldn't push it; but since everyone & their mother supports it, it keeps coming back.
You can also argue that people are supporting today's music because the industry keeps pushing it. Maybe they are both a factor in a never ending circular cycle. :-\

yeah, but if people didn't buy it, labels would stop to push; that's what happened a few years back with "real Hip Hop", it would happen with this generation of "Hip Hop".

like Chamillionaire & Joell for example, if we convince over a million people to cop Chamillionaire's album & the upcoming Joell Ortiz album & convinced everybody not to buy the Drake album, the tables would turn in mainstream Hip Hop; but 13-15 year old boys & girls will buy two copies of Drake's album, each & never even hear Joell & Cham's albums, therefore, the radio will continue to sound poor & farther & farther from "real Hip Hop".

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 03:37:53 PM »
There's a rapper who calls him Woocka Flocka Flacka? .. or whatever the hell it was.

Please click on this link, you will be suprised!

Gimme back my minute!

kemizt

Fraxxx

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 03:50:23 PM »
There's a rapper who calls him Woocka Flocka Flacka? .. or whatever the hell it was.

Gimme back my minute!

Nooo, please don't tell me you didn't make it to the hook!!! That was the best part! :-\
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »

Gimme back my minute!

Nooo, please don't tell me you didn't make it to the hook!!! That was the best part! :-\
Hell no, I'm not listening to that shit again.

kemizt

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 04:51:18 PM »
bloggers make it seem corny (when ur looking at it from an intellectual point of view; which most try to do on here and elsewhere).  when u look for news and go thru threads u c tha repeating closed minded listener offenders (GetYourWalkOn ahh-hmmm) and then u get tha random dumb ass that makes u think "dam... what tha fuck... whatever".  

then when u actually look for some music (and no bitch it's NOT hard; i hate when ppl say that shit) then u find out (again) that everything's alright.  i dont know about cha'll but I LOVE MY CLASSICS and will "always and forever" play them but i'll be damned if that shit dont get as dry or boring as some of tha shit i hear on tha radio (i love The Chronic but i HAVE TO put that shit on tha backburner for months at a time, and then i play it out all over again but that's a whole nother discussion in it's self).  

maybe Hip Hop for the good bloggers of dubcc would see shit from a more positive point of view if the same ppl stop lagging on and bombarding every topic, it would do YOU and the web-surfers mad justice if some of y'all got a life and canned this dubbshit for a month or two (atleast a week or two) - trust me and find out.  and 4 tha record since this is a "westcoast" board shit would look a hellava lot better for the Coast PR-Wise if they created a throwback section for that part of the board, i mean for fuckin sake it's 2010 why is there a new topic every other day about some DeathRow shit or some NWA Family Tree ass nigga.  there's no good reason why there shouldn't be.

rap never died for me, all it was doin' was growin up and whole time some people still dont see it lol!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:56:59 PM by Gimme_Minez_1988 »

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 04:53:51 PM »
fans are ruining it.

if they didn't support today's music, record labels wouldn't push it; but since everyone & their mother supports it, it keeps coming back.
You can also argue that people are supporting today's music because the industry keeps pushing it. Maybe they are both a factor in a never ending circular cycle. :-\

yeah, but if people didn't buy it, labels would stop to push; that's what happened a few years back with "real Hip Hop", it would happen with this generation of "Hip Hop".

like Chamillionaire & Joell for example, if we convince over a million people to cop Chamillionaire's album & the upcoming Joell Ortiz album & convinced everybody not to buy the Drake album, the tables would turn in mainstream Hip Hop; but 13-15 year old boys & girls will buy two copies of Drake's album, each & never even hear Joell & Cham's albums, therefore, the radio will continue to sound poor & farther & farther from "real Hip Hop".

Eh, don't act like Chamillionare hasn't made some straight crossover "sellout" songs aimed at that exact target audience that you claim Drake has. The difference is Drake was successful at crossing over, Cham wasn't... Drake's songs are on the radio 24/7 and everyone hates them and Cham's got zero radio play. But a corny song is till a corny song. And before anyone thinks I'm hating on Cham Ultimate Victory is better than anything Drake did so far and probably will do in the future.

Fraxxx

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 04:59:42 PM »
bloggers make it seem corny (when ur looking at it from an intellectual point of view; which most try to do on here and elsewhere).  when u look for news and go thru threads u c tha repeating closed minded listener offenders (GetYourWalkOn ahh-hmmm) and then u get tha random dumb ass that makes u think "dam... what tha fuck... whatever".  

then when u actually look for some music (and no bitch it's NOT hard; i hate when ppl say that shit) then u find out (again) that everything's alright.  i dont know about cha'll but I LOVE MY CLASSICS and will "always and forever" play them but i'll be damned if that shit dont get as dry or boring as some of tha shit i hear on tha radio (i love The Chronic but i HAVE TO put that shit on tha backburner for months at a time, and then i play it out all over again but that's a whole nother discussion in it's self).  

maybe Hip Hop for the good bloggers of dubcc would see shit from a more positive point of view if the same ppl stop lagging on and bombarding every topic, it would do YOU and the web-surfers mad justice if some of y'all got a life and canned this dubbshit for a month or two (atleast a week or two) - trust me and find out.  and 4 tha record since this is a "westcoast" board shit would look a hellava lot better for the Coast PR-Wise if they created a throwback section for that part of the board, i mean for fuckin sake it's 2010 why is there a new topic every other day about some DeathRow shit or some NWA Family Tree ass nigga.  there's no good reason why there shouldn't be.

rap never died for me, all it was doin' was growin up and whole time some people still dont see it lol!

Can't see the connection to the thread topic.  ??? Good lookin on the link, though.
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 05:01:38 PM »
^that wasn't my exact point, i only said Chamillionaire because i was listening to him on Youtube lol.

you can take any "real rapper" that gets zero radio play & insert him for Chamillionaire's name.

the point is that if people demanded to listen to a new Xzibit song & made a big a deal about the song as they did for "Best I've Ever Had", you would hear more "real rap" on the radio.

but the average person just doesn't care if Crooked I gets played on the radio & doesn't show that appeal for him to drop more music, but they do for today's "sellout" shit & that's why it gets pushed.

like SIK's been saying, you can't blame the artists because these labels are pulling kids off the street & throwing millions at them to sing & dance in music videos & you're just lying to yourself & everyone else if you're telling me you wouldn't do the same, if given the chance.

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 05:38:35 PM »
First off, i'm not looking at this from a sales point of view as we all know the WHOLE music business is just gonna keep getting worse and worse when it comes to sales. I'm looking at it from a "what's popular" and "who's the IN thing" point of view.

Who ruined hipihop?

You can go on forever with the "it's dead/it's not dead" argument, but in the end, it's the record companies/radio stations/tv stations that have constantly shoved this bullshit down everyones throats for the past 5/6 years. I'd say 80% of people listening to rap/RnB are listening to what's being played in clubs, on the radio, on tv and most importantly what their friends are listening to. Where are their friends getting their shit from? Where are the clubs getting their shit from? It has zero to do with somebody thinking it's hot and all to do with this garbage being the "in thing". Just like gangsta rap was in the early 90's, just like rock-rap was in the late 90's, just like reggae-rap was in the mid 2000s and just like southern/crunk rap was in the 05/06/07 period. They were the "in thing" and everybody will always jump all over what's "in". But how does a certain type of music become the "in thing"? It all comes back to the radio and TV stations that constantly play the same wack shit (you can't even call it rap anymore, so I don't) over and fuckin over again. And over and over and over again. This causes the clubs and all that other shit to just echo this and it eventually becomes nothing more than a fad that will almost certainly be gone within 3 or 4 years. But it's not all the fault of the radio/tv stations that play this shit...in the end it's the record companies (the powerhouses at the top of the chain) who decide what will be out there. They have more power than anyone and if they think a certain movement can catch on, they are all over it before anyone. They promote the shit out of it, release tons of it to the stores/internet and completely flood the entire industry with what they think will be the new moneymaker. It works like a charm and it's smart as fuck.

Everybody brings up Lil Wayne's, Gucci Mane's & Drake's names in a topic like this, because really they are some of the biggest current examples of everything i've just said. All you have to do is look at their record sales, I know I said sales mean nothing, but within the genre they represent what's being played and who the current big names are. Not selling shit 3/4/5 years ago, then the big boom in sales within the past few years...then the inevitable, and they are back to being what they really are...D or C-list rappers who should never have even been given an hour of exposure. Shit, even 50 (who shouldn't be mentioned at all in a thread like this) was a victim of this system. Nobody gives a shit about him no more no matter what he's doing or how hot his tracks are. At the end, there's VERY few rappers (and artists in any genre for that matter) that can surpass all the bullshit of the record companies/stations and still smash the music world. When it comes to rap...really the only guys left that can do that are Jay-Z and Eminem (and even he's fading). I would say Dre and a few others, but they've been silent for so long that they don't belong here yet.

So if you're like me and are completely fuckin sick of bullshit music everywhere you go...don't worry, this shit will be over soon. Wayne/Drake/Gucci/OJ...the list goes on, they are all part of a fad that's on it's way out. Now i'm just left wondering what's gonna be next? Will they get even gayer with this shit or actually turn back to real (or at least decent) rap? Personally, as much as I think it will be the first one, I can't imagine mainstream rap getting any softer than it currently is...so if there is going to be a change, theres really nowhere but up to go from here.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 06:07:35 PM »
Wow... if The South *which is 99% of people's bitching list* is a fad then this fad is turning out to be a pretty long 1.  That was sarcasm... it's more like Southern Hip Hop is one of Hip Hop's truest and STRONGEST Cults.

westside159

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 06:17:42 PM »
plus shows like 106 & park with there bubble gum show , the only good part is when they have freestyle battles .

plus the radio is garbage , all they play is garbage like lil wayne , flo rida , plies , soulja boy , justin bieber , tight jean rappers  etc