Author Topic: Slaughterhouse to Shady being blocked by e1 and amalgam digital?  (Read 4645 times)

Jimmy H.

Re: Slaughterhouse to Shady being blocked by e1 and amalgam digital?
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2010, 10:11:40 PM »
Dub C better than Big? Come on with that shit.

And Cham, how is Biggie's contributions not enough to be acknowledged but Big L's are? On a strictly influential level, you've heard a lot more of Biggie's work in the years following his death than L.  

& since you think Biggie is such a huge name/impact, etc., you can thank Mr. Tupac Shakur for that lol.

the beef put Biggie on another planet; the fact he was even fucking with Pac made him larger than life, no pun intended.

the guy was the butt-end of arguably the greatest diss track in rap history, was killed in to what some believe is "retaliation" for the death of Pac.

the fact that when you said Tupac's name, the first thing you thought was "Tupac vs. Biggie".

Big was great, but then you put him against the greatest & factor in all the exposure Pac gave him & the fact he is one of the few rappers gunned down & was the Hip Hop voice of the greatest state in the country ( ;) 8)) & what you really have is just hype all bottled together that gives off the aura of being "GOAT".

i don't think Big could scratch the top 5.
If you say either's name, you think of the other. It was a major hip-hop feud but it's deeper than all that. The beef escalated everybody's name in the public eye. Tupac was now on Death Row, which was the hottest fucking label, in the country. By extenstion of that, it was now about nearly every artist on that label and the three or four biggest names on the West Coast mixed up in it. The controversy helped elevate everyone's status in terms of notoriety but to put things in perspective, "Ready To Die" was released over two months before Pac's shooting/conviction and did tremendously well both critically and comercially. He was the highest-selling artist in the U.S. in 1995. In fact, I'm pretty sure Biggie's singles outsold Pac's at that time. The night Suge threw out that shot at Bad Boy, Biggie took home four of the night's biggest awards. This was before East-West had become a "media sensation". The interview with Pac was just hitting newstands but the drama behind it was still mild in terms of public perception.

"Hit Em Up", arguably the most infamous moment in the beef, until the fatal shootings occured, did not hit the public until spring 1996. Now, it was all-out. East versus West. Pac fucking Biggie's wife. And all of that.

I mean, if we want to talk about controversy creating hype. Neither of Pac's first two albums or their singles were major chart-toppers. He didn't have a #1 album until "Me Against The World" following his rape conviction and the shooting. To give Pac credit for Big's climb to stardom is interesting, given that while Shakur was certainly more of a veteran in the game, they both kind of came into the spotlight in terms of superstardom around the same time. There is no denying that Pac helped groom Biggie as an artist and taught him a lot of things but it wasn't like he gave him his industry stamp.

Here is where I see the information getting mixed up. People want to believe that Biggie was some average rapper that sold a few records but was never really a mainstream name until "Hit Em Up" but that just wasn't the truth. Of course, it's a one-way street here. The millions of people who suddenly realized they loved Pac's music after he died are not at all influenced by any of the hype or controversy about him. Things just had a funny way of working out that way, right?

I'd never deny Pac as being arguably both the greatest writer in hip-hop and having one of the hardest work ethics in music period but the controversy was as pivotal to his success and legacy as it was to Biggie's. Maybe even more so. That being said, can people honestly tell me that Pac could fuck with Biggie on the flow tip? Biggie's voice, line delivery, range, vocal control, etc. while spitting and telling a coherent story aren't relevant in the "Greatest MC" debate?

And Walk On, I'll proudly put Jay-Z (who you say has no business in the top 25) over WC who you seem to think belongs in the top 10. It's no diss to Dub but Jay gets hated on enough. It seems like it's open season on anyone with a phenominal flow.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2010, 10:19:26 PM »
but lyrically we are talkin...rakims disco isnt the best in 30 years...lol....but lyrically hes a beast
so the rest dont count or that would be a seperate list...but lyrically talkin here
crooked dont have a album...all he got is a billboard...does that make him wack? lol
and as far as jay's muzik...its not the best muzik to say its all classic or hes a dope rapper always...nah hes not..hes a businessman who also raps and has rapped for years but very overrated
but lyrically IMO pac would and did eat jay and biggie alive...and dead...lol
Jay-Z is a dope rapper. To call him a businessman who raps suggest that he's Puffy or Eazy-E. When we're talking lyricists, are we going strictly on the content or are we including how they perform it in the booth? I mean, are you strictly listening to what the lyrics are or actually listening to how he flips his words and keeps moving. I'll admit I wasn't always the biggest Jay fan but he's pretty on top of his game when it comes to hitting with those punchlines and metaphors. I think with the exception of KRS-One, he runs circles around every rapper you listed in your top 6 or 7 when it comes to that shit.

ikke

« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2010, 03:32:05 AM »
Nobody casn deny ready to die is a classic album and nobody can deny biggie is an amazing artist.BUT,I think the problem most people have is that hes viewed as one of the best ever,if not the best when he wasnt around long enough to dignify that.Because life after death was a step backwards from his first album,whos to say he wouldnt have fallen off?Where as pac seemed to get stronger every album with makavelli is best lyrical album he had released.I can agree biggie was amazing and its a shame he wasnt around longer but I cant crown an artist who only has two albums.
I remember an interview where big literally said 'I'd rap about flowers if it would help me sell'
I'm pretty sure if he was alive he'd be on the O let's do it remix with diddy.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2010, 04:31:13 AM »
it depends on how you do top ten I guess

because cats like pac, jay, biggie deserve top ten if you talk about from cultural impact.  you can't name 3 bigger artists than them who have contributed to hip-hop with relative longevity.  hate all you want on jay's artistic merits but it's the truth.

but, i'm a just go off personal top ten because that's the only real legit way to do it without factoring in too much

personally i hate that impact shit, so i guess it's just what people factor into their top 10.

i look at Lil' Wayne, Soulja Boy & people who made snap music; you can't deny they had a MAJOR impact on the culture.

i mean, people have gone from wearing the baggiest shit they could find, to rocking the tightest shit they can find; they've gone from making songs with actual meaning & just make songs with the "coolest" punchline & the better the punchline, the better the song to these kids & the "Jerk Movement" is keeping the whole "song & dance" movement pushing forward.

so i tell myself, if impact can be 110% on the other side of the spectrum & basically ruin the culture, i personally can't factor that into the music; so more me, it's just what i liked more than another album & i think that's the way it should be anyway.

different styles, different sounds, different people, different tastes; it's pointless to get everyone to try to agree on whose better than who. people should just decide their own Top 10's & such based on personal preference; because i know you can find 14-15 year olds that will tell you a Top 10 with Lil' Wayne headlining the list lol.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2010, 05:11:14 AM »
lol @ cham shitting on biggie and then putting big l in his list hahaha

big l is a beast but most of the things u critisize biggie for are true for big l too. he only had one proper album and it wasnt even as good as ready to die. course he did mad shit with ditc tho

ikke

« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2010, 05:30:04 AM »

big l is a beast but most of the things u critisize biggie for are true for big l too. he only had one proper album and it wasnt even as good as ready to die. course he did mad shit with ditc tho
LMAO @ Lifestylez wasn't as good as ready to die.

Big L also has countless of freestyles better then a great verse from another rapper

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2010, 05:40:12 AM »
it's too early to tell lil wayne's impact but with big you can see the legacy of influence.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2010, 07:11:44 AM »
wc is doper than jay-z but is he better....prolly not but damn jayz and biggie are way too overrated....why are they treated like gods when it comes to rap?
krs one would and still is murderin mc's on the mic...how come jay-z or big are on a higher level than krs one whenhe raps circles around them?
and yeah we talkin lyrically...the rest counts later...how they perform etc...
sides writin your own lyrics is extremely important....does jay-z write his own raps? did biggie write his own raps?
and even if they did they are still overrated
yeah they had a impact but does that make them the best or top 10? no
some of the dopest lyricists dont get heard....and dont end up in the top anythin but that dont mean they are dope and jay-z is the best

you serious about lil wayne/soulja boy impact? jus cuz they sold millions means they are a huge impact to muzik?
what did they do lyrically? krs one wrote a better verse than wayne and soulja boys life decades ago....how come that isnt good enough but wayne's praised as the best rapper alive....even tho he should be dead for his wack raps....that aint nuthin special at all with his wack flow...aite everythin now n then he got some dope punchlines but impact on a culture?  nah no way and he never will

but lyrically we are talkin...rakims disco isnt the best in 30 years...lol....but lyrically hes a beast
so the rest dont count or that would be a seperate list...but lyrically talkin here
crooked dont have a album...all he got is a billboard...does that make him wack? lol
and as far as jay's muzik...its not the best muzik to say its all classic or hes a dope rapper always...nah hes not..hes a businessman who also raps and has rapped for years but very overrated
but lyrically IMO pac would and did eat jay and biggie alive...and dead...lol
Jay-Z is a dope rapper. To call him a businessman who raps suggest that he's Puffy or Eazy-E. When we're talking lyricists, are we going strictly on the content or are we including how they perform it in the booth? I mean, are you strictly listening to what the lyrics are or actually listening to how he flips his words and keeps moving. I'll admit I wasn't always the biggest Jay fan but he's pretty on top of his game when it comes to hitting with those punchlines and metaphors. I think with the exception of KRS-One, he runs circles around every rapper you listed in your top 6 or 7 when it comes to that shit.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2010, 07:50:21 AM »
Who said anything about Wayne or Soulja Boy? Someone else brought them up to discredit the whole impact on the game theory, which like it or not, has a lot to do with who is the greatest.

As far as basing on strictly lyrics, if you're removing everything else from the equation then I guess it's just about writing, which to me, makes it a boring argument in itself. Jay and Biggie do write their lyrics, or more specifically conceive them. Supposedly, they don't put pen to paper but the words come from their minds so it's basically the same. I think if you're ignoring things like flow and cadance, you're basically saying a boring-ass rapper with complex 16's should be the greatest lyricist out there and I don't subscribe to that.

i look at Lil' Wayne, Soulja Boy & people who made snap music; you can't deny they had a MAJOR impact on the culture.

i mean, people have gone from wearing the baggiest shit they could find, to rocking the tightest shit they can find; they've gone from making songs with actual meaning & just make songs with the "coolest" punchline & the better the punchline, the better the song to these kids & the "Jerk Movement" is keeping the whole "song & dance" movement pushing forward.

You seem to have impact as an MC confused with impact on fashion or pop culture. Two different things to me.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2010, 10:13:13 AM »
^icons are icons man; Biggie set trends, Wayne is setting trends.

is it just me or is everyone rapping with mad swag these days just dropping punchlines? mainstream anyway.

it's not different at all, it's just Biggie was actually rapping the way it was intended to be heard.

Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous is five times Ready To Die, in my opinion.

so you can shit on my opinion if you like, but people would easily agree with me.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2010, 12:36:51 PM »

so you can shit on my opinion if you like, but people would easily agree with me.
It's still one album though, partner. Not gonna shit on you for it. Just don't agree with you.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2010, 01:22:27 PM »

It's still one album though, partner. Not gonna shit on you for it. Just don't agree with you.

it's not like i said Big L is the greatest & Biggie sucks dick; i said Biggie might be the seventh best ever; Big L is just better than him in my opinion.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2010, 09:20:45 PM »
keep praisin jay-z, and biggie as the greatest but they arent IMO...far from it actually....they are borin rappers....who get on dope beats....onto the next one...that shit is wack
gza is way....way better than biggie...IMO
but why does it always come down to biggie and jay-z...whats so special about them...when theres other dope rappers out there that would and prolly have killed those 2 and more
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2010, 10:45:02 PM »
Look it's obvious that you're in a minority.  They're influence alone is greater than what you're giving them credit for.  So, in that sense, you're both wrong.  And, it's easy to say WOULD HAVE or PROBABLY HAVE but you have little proof.

BIG died so it's sad we didn't get to see his legacy play out.  Jay-Z's been around and his legacy stands for itself.  Not many rappers have done what he has done.  You're failing to recognise that it all doesn't boil down to technical skill.  Jay's music has spread among more ears and connected to more people than most.  It's about reflecting certain truths and Jay's music has done that. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2010, 10:47:41 PM »
Look it's obvious that you're in a minority.  They're influence alone is greater than what you're giving them credit for.  So, in that sense, you're both wrong.  And, it's easy to say WOULD HAVE or PROBABLY HAVE but you have little proof.

BIG died so it's sad we didn't get to see his legacy play out.  Jay-Z's been around and his legacy stands for itself.  Not many rappers have done what he has done.  You're failing to recognise that it all doesn't boil down to technical skill.  Jay's music has spread among more ears and connected to more people than most.  It's about reflecting certain truths and Jay's music has done that. 

well said