Author Topic: Slaughterhouse to Shady being blocked by e1 and amalgam digital?  (Read 4643 times)

Jimmy H.

Re: Slaughterhouse to Shady being blocked by e1 and amalgam digital?
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2010, 11:58:45 PM »
keep praisin jay-z, and biggie as the greatest but they arent IMO...far from it actually....they are borin rappers....who get on dope beats....onto the next one...that shit is wack
It's not an issue of praising them as the greatest. It's giving them their due. Some artists (Eminem, Biggie, 50, Jay) while major sellers are also artists who it is accepted to discredit.

I'm not trying to get insulting on this one so please excuse me if it comes off this way but is English your first language? Can you comprehend the difficulty of switching up flows and emphasising syllables while staying in pocket with the beat? I think there are maybe a handful of rappers that are on that level when it comes to flow and I'd put Biggie and Jay on the top of that list. Pac, Cube, Nas, and Face, who all get boat loads of respect in my book, do not have that kind of vocal stamina to me. And of course, someone who is a fan of them will say "Well, that's not really important to me". Well, to me if you're not recognizing the energy and timiing in a rapper's vocal performance then we're not talking about MC's, we're talking about writers.

There are rappers like Jada, Lloyd Banks, Crooked I, who probably spit more complexly but they don't have the natural flow to them like a KRS-One or Jay where you feel like they are riding the beat, instead of kicking a freestyle. You can put Biggie or Jay or Eminem on a faster beat and they can keep up without mumbling or becoming incomprehendable and in many cases, they make it sound easy.

but why does it always come down to biggie and jay-z...whats so special about them...when theres other dope rappers out there that would and prolly have killed those 2 and more
I've gone into detail about what seperates them. Generally speaking, Biggie and Jay are the only two rappers on that "greatest" list from the 90's era that people will allow to be thrown into that OVERRATED bus. You might have someone argue against Nas or Cube if we compare them to Pac but other than that, people are very boring with their arguments. It tends to be a popularity contest. Well, what rappers are on MTV and aren't from the West? Nas could have the very same discography he does right now but if you added three platinum singles with Lady Gaga, Blacked Eyed Peas, and Justin Timberlake, suddenly, his "greatest of all-time" status would be more in question. Great artists who from time to time do a pop crossover song are still great artists.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2010, 07:17:12 AM »
jimmy you a fool... ;D...and we havin fun so its all good.. ;D and english is my.......1st language and its gon remain that way... ;)
but it jus seems biggie and jay get more....they are the best thrown at em....when IMO nas at his best...even right now and scarface right now could and should murder them others on the mic... face and nas are two of the best rappers ever and the energy and everythin they provide on the mic and in their muzik makes jay-z and biggie's muzik easy as 1,2, ...etc...lol
jay- and biggie impact and legacy vs nas and face...yeah they prolly had a bigger impact...but could that have been cuz of the big label they were on....as in if face especially had a bigger backin and actually cared about his muzik more he should have been a bigger rapper and had a bigger impact than biggie and jay-z...some would argue in face favor he has got jay-z on all their collabo's....but damn scarface and nas when he wants to can crush many rappers especially jay and biggie...so lets say he can crush them....
they got dope lyrics
they write their own lyrics
their flow is on point and crazy
and more

if all that is better than jay and biggie's muzik....its more of who they were with and who they became or how they became who they became rather than they are better than nas or face.....otherwise face is one of the coldest and dopest rappers to ever live and hes much better than biggie and jay-z IMO
scarface didnt become a hit overnight nas and years later he still dont get the respect he deserves...nas gets a lil more respect but still not enough
is their legacy of what they did and who they did it with more important or what they can do as a rapper?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 07:19:54 AM by GET YOUR WALK ON »
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2010, 12:53:55 PM »
face and nas are two of the best rappers ever 

You'll get no complaint there.

yeah they prolly had a bigger impact...but could that have been cuz of the big label they were on....
Doubtful. Nas and Face were both on major labels themselves. Jay's first album was an independent release distributed through Priority. He didn't have his mainstream breakthrough until his third album. In terms of exposure, Nas was getting about the same at this point. Jay-Z was not this product of the "machine". If anything, Big and Jay reached a bigger audience because their content is more acceptable to the mainstream.

some would argue in face favor he has got jay-z on all their collabo's....
Maye some would. Rappers get outshined on their own shit sometimes. They lose battles to lesser rappers. It happens. I'm not saying Nas ain't better than Jay or Face ain't better than Jay. I'm saying from a devil's advocate position, Jay gotta get his credit too.

they got dope lyrics
and more
  I'd say this of any rapper I'd put in the top 10. You honestly think either has a more versatile flow than Jay or Biggie?

if all that is better than jay and biggie's muzik....its more of who they were with and who they became or how they became who they became rather than they are better than nas or face.....otherwise face is one of the coldest and dopest rappers to ever live and hes much better than biggie and jay-z IMO
It's not about who's better or worse to me. I'm not saying either one is WAY BETTER than the other. I'm saying of these rappers. Tupac, Eminem, Nas, Ice Cube, Scarface, Jay-Z, Notorious B.I.G. Not one of them is better than all the rest in every category of what makes a great MC. There are areas where Big is better than Pac. There are areas where Jay is better than Nas. There are areas where Eminem is better than Scarface. And vice versa.

scarface didnt become a hit overnight nas and years later he still dont get the respect he deserves...nas gets a lil more respect but still not enough
And this is the exact fucking problem I have with this argument. It's arguing that someone is better because they aren't getting as much credit as a more mainstream artist. You could have two emcees that were equal and because one isn't getting the recognition for whatever reason, the other is automatically "overrated" even if he earned its spot. It seems like it's more about shitting on every rapper you don't like as much who has more shine than about selling the strengths of the rapper you do like.

is their legacy of what they did and who they did it with more important or what they can do as a rapper?
Their legacy of what they did is a direct example of what they can do as a rapper. Should we not use direct examples from their careers or does it make more sense to throw up a hypothetical of what they could do if they were on this label with this amount of money and public exposure or battled this guy?

I keep hearing mention of how so and so could crush or kill this person on the mic. But what are we really talking about? Are we saying they could make a better diss? Better battle rapper? The crowd would feel them more? Better freestyler? Write a better song on the same 16? All of this or none of this?

Invincible

« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2010, 01:11:16 PM »
face and nas are two of the best rappers ever  

You'll get no complaint there.

yeah they prolly had a bigger impact...but could that have been cuz of the big label they were on....
Doubtful. Nas and Face were both on major labels themselves. Jay's first album was an independent release distributed through Priority. He didn't have his mainstream breakthrough until his third album. In terms of exposure, Nas was getting about the same at this point. Jay-Z was not this product of the "machine". If anything, Big and Jay reached a bigger audience because their content is more acceptable to the mainstream.

some would argue in face favor he has got jay-z on all their collabo's....
Maye some would. Rappers get outshined on their own shit sometimes. They lose battles to lesser rappers. It happens. I'm not saying Nas ain't better than Jay or Face ain't better than Jay. I'm saying from a devil's advocate position, Jay gotta get his credit too.

they got dope lyrics
and more
 I'd say this of any rapper I'd put in the top 10. You honestly think either has a more versatile flow than Jay or Biggie?

It's not about who's better or worse to me. I'm not saying either one is WAY BETTER than the other. I'm saying of these rappers. Tupac, Eminem, Nas, Ice Cube, Scarface, Jay-Z, Notorious B.I.G. Not one of them is better than all the rest in every category of what makes a great MC. There are areas where Big is better than Pac. There are areas where Jay is better than Nas. There are areas where Eminem is better than Scarface. And vice versa.

And this is the exact fucking problem I have with this argument. It's arguing that someone is better because they aren't getting as much credit as a more mainstream artist. You could have two emcees that were equal and because one isn't getting the recognition for whatever reason, the other is automatically "overrated" even if he earned its spot. It seems like it's more about shitting on every rapper you don't like as much who has more shine than about selling the strengths of the rapper you do like.

Their legacy of what they did is a direct example of what they can do as a rapper. Should we not use direct examples from their careers or does it make more sense to throw up a hypothetical of what they could do if they were on this label with this amount of money and public exposure or battled this guy?

I keep hearing mention of how so and so could crush or kill this person on the mic. But what are we really talking about? Are we saying they could make a better diss? Better battle rapper? The crowd would feel them more? Better freestyler? Write a better song on the same 16? All of this or none of this?

Nice replies. Quality poster. +1

GYWO just doesn't seem to understand.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2010, 04:57:19 PM »
jimmy face dont get the recognition and respect he deserves...but jay-z, biggie, and others are preached as bein gods on the mic....if scarface aint a god then they arent either... ;D nah but for real yeah scarface dont have the same mainstream appeal...but lyrically he's the best and top 3 of all time and hes past jay-z, and biggie IMO
scarface might not be better in every category up agianst jay and biggie but hes better in most IMO and overall with lyrics and what he does on the mic....jay will never catch up to him....
look jay-z, biggie, even wayne and others are thrown at the top of this as if they really can compete with scarface...they cant and they havent
listen to each rappers albums and.....face wins....nas is a different story...but nas at his very best wins also
you got your opinion and everyone else got theirs...understandin or not....noones goin to agree...some will take sides for what its worth....which is nuthin
and you mentioned in what sense are face and nas better

dissin
song structure
flow
delivery

i mean it goes on......if anythin biggie is better than jay-z but they arent on face level or nas
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 04:59:22 PM by GET YOUR WALK ON »
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2010, 05:15:38 PM »
1. Rakim
2. Chuck D (Public Enemy)
3. Nas
4. Tupac Shakur
5. Jay-Z
6. Ice Cube
7. KRS-One
8. Common

Hate to say this but I can see Kanye creeping in based on his artistic growth.  Also, 50 will always be a favourite.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2010, 05:20:45 PM »
50 will be in your top 10 of all time?

1. Rakim
3. Nas
4. Tupac Shakur
5. Jay-Z
6. Ice Cube
7. KRS-One
8. Common

Hate to say this but I can see Kanye creeping in based on his artistic growth.  Also, 50 will always be a favourite.
Cube

Jimmy H.

« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2010, 05:25:14 PM »

but jay-z, biggie, and others are preached as bein gods on the mic....
By who exactly? I've never heard anyone make that claim and it's certainly not the majority opinion in this forum.

you got your opinion and everyone else got theirs...understandin or not....noones goin to agree...some will take sides for what its worth
I'm not even sure we're on the same wave length to be honest. It sounds like you're someplace else because plenty of people have agreed. I'm not arguing with Face or Nas being two of the greatest, I'm outright agreeing but I'm still waiting on the example on how they are in another league than Jay or Biggie.

and you mentioned in what sense are face and nas better

dissin
song structure
flow
delivery

i mean it goes on......if anythin biggie is better than jay-z but they arent on face level or nas
Face and Nas have better flow than Biggie or Jay? Examples?

Jimmy H.

« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2010, 05:26:25 PM »
Now, why is that questionable when you put WC for consideration in your top 7?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2010, 05:29:49 PM »
haha nah jimmy i see what you doin...wc is a different artist...im not sayin he should be thrown in automatically...no but hes underrated and jay and biggie are beyond overrated

Now, why is that questionable when you put WC for consideration in your top 7?
Cube

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2010, 05:40:48 PM »

1. Rakim
3. Nas
4. Tupac Shakur
5. Jay-Z
6. Ice Cube
7. KRS-One
8. Common

Hate to say this but I can see Kanye creeping in based on his artistic growth.  Also, 50 will always be a favourite.

That's what I mean about lists.  How are we going to rate them?

If we're going to just go straight off personal listening habits.  Then yeah.  My most played MCs list played would look like this,

Nas
Jay-Z
Immortal Technique
Kanye West
Crooked I
Lloyd Banks
Rakim
Bishop Lamont
Game

If you went back less than 2 years ago neither 50 or Banks would have made the list but in the past 2 years I've bumped them an insane amount and it hasn't decreased.

I can usually distinguish between what I really love and enjoy listening to and skill, legacy, influence, etc.  Lately, I've been bumping J.Cole & Drake.  I don't get stuck in the past.  I peep all new artist.  Try to keep it moving forward.  

Joe Budden would probably make the list.  He's in heavy rotation and has been more or less since the Saigon disses.  Entire Slaugtherhouse crew also get spins but not as much.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 05:43:48 PM by Action! »
- Banks

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2010, 05:46:21 PM »
What's you top ten MCs based on personal listening habits?  That's to say what's a list of MCs that have gotten the most play on your ears during your lifetime. The ones you keep going back to and always seem to play tracks from?
- Banks

Jimmy H.

« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2010, 06:08:18 PM »
haha nah jimmy i see what you doin...wc is a different artist...im not sayin he should be thrown in automatically...no but hes underrated and jay and biggie are beyond overrated
Generally speaking, anyone that is good enough to be considered one of the greatest of all-time is probably gonna be "beyond overrated" if you weren't much of a fan to begin with. You don't think 2Pac is overrated to some extent by certain people? I think if we're looking at fanbases who take their favorite artist and turn everything he ever records into "the greatest classic ever", I gotta say my vote goes for Tupac and Eminem. Ironically, I'd still call them two of the greatest. I'm not gonna ignore their talent just because their fans think they are bigger than the genre itself. I'm not gonna start bigging up some artist I know isn't better, just because less people acknowledge him and he's not "overrated". A very good artist that is underrated is not better than an incredible artist who is overrated.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2010, 06:29:41 PM »
action but see thats the problem or the issue here...or the clarification...
you sayin you werent listenin to banks and 50 2 years ago that much compared to now...right not the 50 and banks you listenin is muzik made from what error?
they havent spit dope lyrics in years IMO
but i listen to muzik from the followin the most

big tray deee
scarface
krs one
erick sermon (new epmd album)
gza
rza
above the law & kokane
50 (and banks from his first album)
la coka nostra
2pac
mr shadow
king t (bonus)
xzibit (bonus)
bishop lamont (bonus bonus)

thats a rough list...but i listen to most of those artists most of the time...not all of their muzik is dope (or i like it all) but most of it is...but that isnt my top 10...jus what i listen to most of the time....i mean theres songs i listen to more than artists period...lol
so a few of them could get shuffled around
i like quality not quantity...

jimmy i feel what your sayin and i agree...you know m cuzzin used to tell me e-40 is one of the greatest (he is), mac dre this, dre dog this....yeah they are dope but they arent on others level...so i had to move to the side and not agree wit him and many others...cuz they tried to tell me and make me believe certain rappers were the best and the only rappers...lol
i branched out and im from the west but i listen to the east too....so pac overrated? i dont think hes overrated...but he released some wack aka commercial muzik...alot of it too but not overrated...he was a dope rapper and he should have hurt jay, mobb deep, biggie more than he did
pac is underrated jus like erick sermon is underrated...its coast 2 coast

Generally speaking, anyone that is good enough to be considered one of the greatest of all-time is probably gonna be "beyond overrated" if you weren't much of a fan to begin with. You don't think 2Pac is overrated to some extent by certain people? I think if we're looking at fanbases who take their favorite artist and turn everything he ever records into "the greatest classic ever", I gotta say my vote goes for Tupac and Eminem. Ironically, I'd still call them two of the greatest. I'm not gonna ignore their talent just because their fans think they are bigger than the genre itself. I'm not gonna start bigging up some artist I know isn't better, just because less people acknowledge him and he's not "overrated". A very good artist that is underrated is not better than an incredible artist who is overrated.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 06:35:10 PM by GET YOUR WALK ON »
Cube

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2010, 06:45:11 PM »
What I'm saying is,

1. Top ten lists are always biased and unless you go off an agreed set of factors (such as technical skill, influence, legacy) they always resort to personal favorites.

2.  A true top ten list for a listener is not the artist that is the most technical but the artist that gets the most spins over your life.  Why?  Because, despite not being as technical, they grabbed your ear the longest.

3. You're not giving Jay-Z enough credit.  I don't really care about Biggie Smalls but because Jay-Z is such a factor Biggie is too.

4.  2 years I did not listen to 50 or Banks.  I changed mentally and now bump both of their catalogues which ranges from power of the dollar days to today.

- Banks