Author Topic: Bush battles conservatives over description of Islam  (Read 197 times)

Woodrow

Bush battles conservatives over description of Islam
« on: December 02, 2002, 08:05:09 PM »
Washington -- President Bush finds himself in a rare disagreement with conservatives in his party over his efforts to portray Islam as a peaceful religion that is not responsible for anti-American terrorism.

In a score of speeches since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the president has called for tolerance of Muslims, describing Islam as "a faith based upon peace and love and compassion" and a religion committed to "morality and learning and tolerance."

But a large number of foreign policy hawks -- some of them with advisory roles in the Bush administration -- have joined religious conservatives in taking issue with Bush's characterizations. While most of them understand the political rationale for Bush's statements -- there's no benefit in antagonizing Muslim allies such as Pakistan and Indonesia -- they say the claim is dishonest and destined to fail.

For Bush and for the country, the outcome of the argument is crucial. The administration, and moderate governments in Arab and Muslim nations, are struggling to prevent the war on terrorism from becoming what Osama bin Laden wants: a war between the Judeo-Christian West and a resentful and impoverished Muslim world.

Calling Islam a peaceful religion "is an increasingly hard argument to make, " said Kenneth Adelman, a former Reagan official who serves on the Bush Pentagon's Defense Policy Board. "The more you examine the religion, the more militaristic it seems. After all, its founder, Mohammed, was a warrior, not a peace advocate like Jesus."

Another member of the Pentagon advisory board, Eliot Cohen of the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, wrote an article on the Wall Street Journal editorial page arguing that the enemy of the United States is not terrorism "but militant Islam."

"The enemy has an ideology, and an hour spent surfing the Web will give the average citizen at least the kind of insights that he or she might have found during World Wars I and II by reading 'Mein Kampf' or the writings of Lenin, Stalin or Mao."

Cohen acknowledges that it is impolitic and "deeply uncomfortable" for the administration to say such things. "Nobody would like to think that a major world religion has a deeply aggressive and dangerous strain in it -- a strain often excused or misrepresented in the name of good feelings. But uttering uncomfortable and unpleasant truths is one of the things that defines leadership," he said.

At the same time, social conservatives are resisting Bush's efforts to portray Islam in a favorable light.

"Islam is at war against us," Paul Weyrich, an activist who is influential in the White House, wrote recently. "I have had much good to say about President Bush in recent months. But one thing that concerned me before Sept. 11th and concerns me even more now is his administration's constant promotion of Islam as a religion of peace and tolerance just like Judaism or Christianity. It is neither."

Earlier this month, Bush distanced himself from virulent anti-Islamic remarks made by a number of U.S. religious leaders.

"Some of the comments that have been uttered about Islam do not reflect the sentiments of my government or the sentiments of most Americans," the president said in the Oval Office before a meeting with U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan. "Islam, as practiced by the vast majority of people, is a peaceful religion, a religion that respects others. Ours is a country based upon tolerance, Mr. Secretary-General, and we respect the faith and we welcome people of all faiths in America."

Bush's remarks came after religious broadcaster Pat Robertson was reported as saying that "Adolf Hitler was bad, but what the Muslims want to do to the Jews is worse." Another religious conservative, the Rev. Jerry Falwell, referred to the Prophet Mohammed as a "terrorist"; Falwell later apologized. The Rev. Franklin Graham, who spoke at Bush's inauguration, has called Islam "evil." Lesser-known religious leaders have been downright vulgar in their descriptions of Mohammed.

In an interview with the Washington Times, an unapologetic Robertson complained that Bush "is not elected as chief theologian," and objected again to Bush's description of Islam as peaceful.

Muslim Americans worry that the anti-Islam conservatives are winning the battle. "These right-wingers are trying to set up a civilizational conflict with all their might in the same way as Osama bin Laden," said Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations. "It really is getting a bit frightening. At some times, I feel like a member of the Jewish community in Germany in the latter stages of the Weimar Republic."

Adelman said describing Islam as peaceful "is the right political argument, but it's a harder intellectual argument to make."

That probably won't get any easier with the intellectual ferment among American conservatives, many of whom are coming to a conclusion reached earlier this year by Norman Podhoretz in Commentary magazine.

"Certainly not all Muslims are terrorists," he wrote. "But it would be dishonest to ignore the plain truth that Islam has become an especially fertile breeding-ground of terrorism in our time. This can only mean that there is something in the religion itself that legitimizes the likes of Osama bin Laden, and indeed there is: the obligation imposed by the Koran to wage holy war, or jihad, against the 'infidels.' "

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/12/01/MN101166.DTL

Comments?

Trauma-san

Re:Bush battles conservatives over description of Islam
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 08:09:26 PM »
I'm sure Bush will get slammed somehow for this too.  

DPG4lyfe

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 12:03:51 AM »
i am planning to become Muslim after i study more about it but i dont get it why are ppl saying there are terrorist i mean u gotta put it to better words  keep in mind im 13 and trying to change my lyfe i dont really care about all this war shyt u gotta do wut u gotta do but im against terrorist to tha fullest and i want to become Muslim why do they say most Muslims are terrorist man i dont get it can anybody help me on this? im out!!!

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 12:59:33 AM »
theyre sayin muslims are terrorists because muslim nations were colonized by europeans,. latter there has been assassinations, the toppling of govts, invasions, wars etc against Muslims by europeans

america supports the israels oppression and massacre of palestinians with 5 billion dollars a year in aid

muslims are attacked and oppressed thus rising to a growing sentiment of frustration and anger which is channelled thru violent activity

hope that helps
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

DPG4lyfe

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 01:31:04 AM »
well kinda....lol i guess im too yung to unerstand but im still planning to become Muslim soon idk wut other ppl think! im out!!!

infinite59

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2002, 06:37:47 AM »
Did they ask what religion Timothy McVay was?  Was that ever really an issue?  Did they ask what religion the guy was that dropped the atomic bomb on Japan was?   Did they ask what religion our government was, and Britian's government when they forced aparthied on Africa?  And when they impose sanctions on Iraq?   Do they ask what religion it is that lead France and Britian when they carved up the whole middle east into sections in 1917?  Did they ask what religion the people of Britian were who colonized and usurped the resources of India?   Did the fact that Catholics in Northern Ireland used terrorism to gain there independance ever come into question?

Look.  You can disagree on political issue's.  But their is killing going on amongst atheists, Christians, Jews, Muslims and all other people.  

They are trying to make it sound like Muslims are the only violent people on Earth.  But Muslims only fight against oppression.  Look and see where Muslims are fighting and then tell me those people are not among the oppressed.  We are never the aggressor.

ITW [the irish boy]

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2002, 07:41:58 AM »
Maybe there is hope for bush. If he keeps the retoric of islam is good, maybe there's hope. Hopefully the conservative bastards don't cause more trouble. I see no difference between osama and war-mongering righht wing politians. They all want blood on there hands. Hopefully bush will win this argument.

Good point by infinite. Remember though, Catholics didnt win over NI by terrorism - it's still under british control. We got the brits out of the south by using terrorism, and my family was supportive of that, though im against current terrorism in this country.
SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW
BUT DO THEY KNOW TO THINK
THINK ABOUT THINKING
BEFORE THEY KNOW NOTHING
DID THEY KNOW SOMETHING
LETS THINK

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2002, 01:18:09 PM »
Maybe there is hope for bush. If he keeps the retoric of islam is good, maybe there's hope. Hopefully the conservative bastards don't cause more trouble. I see no difference between osama and war-mongering righht wing politians. They all want blood on there hands. Hopefully bush will win this argument.

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

CWalker187

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2002, 10:53:01 PM »
They call Muslims terrorists because Islam has declared war on America and all other non Muslims. Is there even a religion that they are not at war with?

They are pretty messed up.