Author Topic: Why is it so important to rep the west?  (Read 419 times)

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
Why is it so important to rep the west?
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:08:23 PM »
Why is it so important to rep the west, or talk about bringing the west back, or saying stuff like the west side is the best side, or number one and shit..

why is a coast or a region so important? why being stuck on that%
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:12:38 PM by ∀don »

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: I have a question for y'all...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 07:11:12 PM »
why not?
if you live or from that region....why not rep it?
why not rep the muzik, the culture you were raised, born, lived etc....in?
why not rep a region when you think its better than other regions....of course everyone does....lol
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 07:17:43 PM »
why not?
why not rep a region when you think its better than other regions....of course everyone does....lol

it gets boring thats all, there is soo many topics, so many stuff to talk about, doesnt matter where u from really, its about the quality that u bring. well thats the way i see it

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »
yeah and the west brings the best quality...lol
so thats what we doin reppin the best quality unlike them other regions tryna give quantity

why not?

it gets boring thats all, there is soo many topics, so many stuff to talk about, doesnt matter where u from really, its about the quality that u bring. well thats the way i see it
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:36:23 PM »
Why is it so important to rep the west, or talk about bringing the west back, or saying stuff like the west side is the best side, or number one and shit..

I think the west is a unique situation because one thing OGs and "new west" artists can agree on is the west feels like they always have to prove to other coasts and fans in general that they have cats that can spit. So boasting about the west almost is a gift and a curse. A really dope rapper from the west for example Xzibit in his heyday was almost looked at like a enigma. But I have heard people in the same breath say he sounds like he could be from the east coast with his bars. Now west coast fans know that we have some talented mcs but the rest of the world doesn't.

BIGWORM

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:04:17 PM »
It's a West-Coast site. We just happen to love and support west coast music more.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:05:23 PM »
but it depends if your bias or not....jus cuz its a westcoast site dont mean you can hate on the same coast or vice versa
you can be from one coast and be honest about muzik at the same time

snoops album is wack...lol

It's a West-Coast site. We just happen to love and support west coast music more.
Cube

Muhfukka

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:08:47 PM »

i dont even say that shit, but i would like to see the coast im from do better than its doing in the rap game. but its funny to me how 90% of the people saying that kind of shit arent even american

Suga Foot

Re: Why is it so important to rep the west?
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 08:26:13 PM »
A lot of people become products of their environments.  You don't rep the west coast, you ARE west coast.

rollindown101

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 08:48:38 PM »

Where do you live??

Everyone I've ever known as repped their place.. whether its a "side" of the city or a coast. Pretty common in the US unless you live in the corn fields of the midwest or somethin.

Leave the mastering to the experts and people who originally did it..

http://www.berniegrundmanmastering.com/engineers/grundman.html

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 08:51:28 PM »
You always have to rep where you're from, or at least support your own.  But that doesn't mean you can't be a fan of anything else.

While most of us are biased, the West Coast is where it's at, and people will always try to jock West Coast style.  While you can view it as a testament of the impact of this culture, the problem is that too many people from outside try to soak up too much game and think that they can take it and claim it as their own.  It's one thing if you're influenced, which happens when you witness something great, but it's another thing when you start trying to be something else to the point where you try to represent it.

After Pac died, A LOT of people from coast to coast were completely jacking his style, which he had made synonymous with the West Coast.  Not just musically, but even his image.  A few years later when Cripping started getting popular along with the C-Walk, then you started seeing people trying to do that too.  Let's not forget Lil' Bow Wow C-Walking in that one video or at the BET Awards a long time ago.  And more recently with the rise of Bloods crossing over into the mainstream over the past decade, now it seems like there are fifty new rappers every month who are wearing red everything (particularly the Cincinnati Reds hats that game sports) and sometimes even claiming Damu.  Personally, people can do what they want, but part of me feels like outsiders are making a mockery (of course unintentionally) of part of West Coast culture by thinking that they can just become it because it's popular.  I suppose I can't get mad at the fact that it's West Coast shit that's hot, but I really don't want to see this become a fad that gets diluted by a bunch of bitch ass posers.

For example, street racing (particularly the California scene) was already spreading like wildfire in the mid to late 1990s.  People were taking pride in what they were doing and basking in that particular culture.  It takes off, then the entertainment industry sensationalizes it (particularly in The Fast and the Furious), then everyone thinks it's cool and soups up their mom's piece of shit.  Before, people with some kickass cars were racing on closed roads, but after the movie came out, every motherfucker with a modified exhaust was trying to toy with you when you were just trying to drive to school or work, thinking that they're Vin Diesel in their little Toyota Camry.  Basically that scene got overtaken by busters and people outside of it clowned on it.  The same thing could happen to this West Coast culture if a bunch of outsiders keep jocking the style without a real dude to represent it properly from here.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 09:46:15 PM »
another 1 of these blah blah topics again huh... i dig it tho.  that's what i was sayin a minute ago... why just bcuz u from Cali that makes u the only thing WestCoast, why every song gotta have Cali and Westcoast in it- same with the hooks, why all yall drums only got the boom/clap rythm to it.  Then i realized that only white men and orientals run tha whole whole process, every1 and everything.

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »
 I think it makes sense to want to rep where your from, i have noticed though that westcoast rappers do tend to remind the listener where they from more than rappers from other regions.
 Anyways, iam not from America and i agree with the post about westcoast rappers having to prove their self or getting ignored/looked down on by most hip hop heads(where iam from). Most hard core hip hop heads that i know and have met listen to east coast mostly. Or local hip hop(wich you can of coure relate to alot more).
 I personally like westcoast style the best but i would admit that  east coast is more lyrical overal and has more world wide appeal because of topic matter.
 Of course peopel all over the world smoke weed and the like but its the gamg talk taht puts non Americans off of westcoast American rap, people tend to grow out of it(iam talking people that dont live it or anything like it or arent hardcore hip hop fans), or people just get tired of it because it just isnt as good as it used to be(overal).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:27:33 PM by KrazySumwhat »

Santanaz

• Lil Geezy
  • S-bLoCC Style 2C's
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 11:14:54 PM »
another 1 of these blah blah topics again huh... i dig it tho.  that's what i was sayin a minute ago... why just bcuz u from Cali that makes u the only thing WestCoast, why every song gotta have Cali and Westcoast in it- same with the hooks, why all yall drums only got the boom/clap rythm to it.  Then i realized that only white men and orientals run tha whole whole process, every1 and everything.
There is some truth in what I highlighted in regard to this site & most of the posters. White boys with gangsta gifs and talkin like they been born in the gangsta culture. These cats livin out their fascination with this shit behind a font. I take that shit kinda personal being that Im from & currently live in the city that set this thing off (37 years)
"Talk About It While I Live It"

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 11:18:40 PM »
It's just natural to rep where you're from, if it's not the country, it's the state.......your neighbourhood........your street.