Author Topic: whats your definition/example of a classic album/song (updated)  (Read 726 times)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
some examples of classics..comparisons from previous to later albums....anythin like that...im tryna see what others consider classics...
for example many consider jay-z reasonable doubt classic
but then someone recently said they like or think black album is better/more classic...stuff like that
and what are your thoughts on people sayin....a classic could be defined dependin on how many times you listen to somethin, or the replay value etc....
also does record sales, views, etc...have anythin to do wit it bein a classic?
can a classic have low sales and still be a classic? or the amount of time someone talks and listens to a song, album etc...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:26:34 AM by THA WESTCOAST WAS IN YO BITCH, WHERE WERE YOU? »
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: whats your definition/example of a classic album/song
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:16:42 PM »
Illmatic & Stillmatic from Nas

Suga Foot

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:19:59 PM »
I think a classic is something that is timeless and/or was a trendsetter.  Beyond that I have personal classics that just remind of good times in my life.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:25:46 PM »
can you choose one thats better or are they equal in greatness?

adon can you give examples of what a timeless classic is? or what set a trend? and the trend settin will be interestin cuz theres so many but bring it...lol
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

Jimmy H.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 09:39:25 PM »
I think comparing "classics" is an out there thing to do especially when it's something like "Illmatic" and "Stillmatic" or "Chronic" and "2001". For an artist to have one masterpiece at one point in their career and then reinvent it several years later, that's something else altogether. At that point, it comes down to your personal feelings on that album.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 09:53:28 PM »

adon can you give examples of what a timeless classic is? or what set a trend? and the trend settin will be interestin cuz theres so many but bring it...lol

Like Jimmy said, they are different but classics in their own right. Like Adon said also, for me the music reflects on my life. I can remember chillin at the house when I first heard Stillmatic or going through some hard times listening to Illmatic. Classic albums in alot of ways become the soundtrack to your life. It goes beyond just a dope beat or rhyme.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 09:55:51 PM »
true but can 1 album or song be more classic than another song or album...especially in the case of two different rappers?
so 1 rappers album vs another rappers album?
like if cham says big l's album>>>>biggie's album...

Like Jimmy said, they are different but classics in their own right. Like Adon said also, for me the music reflects on my life. I can remember chillin at the house when I first heard Stillmatic or going through some hard times listening to Illmatic. Classic albums in alot of ways become the soundtrack to your life. It goes beyond just a dope beat or rhyme.
Cube

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:03:47 PM »
I used to be the type that would enjoy rank, compare, list, whatever albums but right now it seems kind of silly.  If it's a classic album, it's a classic album there isn't really a need to see which classic is better.  You can argue, which might have a bigger impact in the music genre it is but other than that it's all up to the listener. 

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 10:22:28 PM »
true but can 1 album or song be more classic than another song or album...especially in the case of two different rappers?

A classic is a classic to me. I really do not try to read into which is better because the albums I consider classic, are for different reasons.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 10:26:19 PM »
I think a true masterpiece will stand on its own. There is always gonna be comparisons in the music, just like there will be with artists who perform, but in most cases, it's hard to say if something is more of a classic than something else. It's usually either a classic or it isn't.

WCoastTillIDie

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 10:58:22 PM »
yeah definitely a true masterpiece, something that I can listen to forever basically.  Also, no filler tracks, except for 1 (MAYBE.)  For example, I consider Q-Tip's the Renaissance as a classic because I LOVE every single track and I believe that the sound that he displays in the album will be something that I can bump to in 10 years.  It's that good, I can guarantee you this album is soooooo underrated IMO.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 12:08:23 AM »
i think there are different ranks of classic.

like Illmatic is a classic & Reasonable Doubt is a classic, but they are on two way different levels.

Illmatic is like Top 5 albums in Hip Hop history & Reasonable Doubt is like Top 30, maybe lol.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 12:27:47 AM »
just some personal classics:

Fire by Elzhi Ft. Black Milk

Desire by Pharoah Monch

illmatic by nas

revolutionary volume 2 by immortal technique

imagine freestyle by crooked i

hustler's ambition by 50

Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

NotoriousTDA

Re: whats your definition/example of a classic album/song (updated)
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 03:59:31 PM »
a classic album is an album you listen to from start to finish and enjoy with out skipping a track.

i dont think it has anything to do with trend setting. Soulja Boy started a trend of dancing like a fucking idiot, would people call his music classic?

i think people are too caught up with other peoples opinions when it comes to "classic albums" and they dont really have an opinion theirselves.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: whats your definition/example of a classic album/song (updated)
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 04:13:27 PM »
^that's what i've been sayin', dawg.

just because you set trends doesn't mean shit, it's the music on the disc that counts.

you can have the coolest album cover ever, but that doesn't mean your album is good; not trying to say the music isn't classic, but i wouldn't rate it higher than other music because it has more impact on the game.