Author Topic: whats your definition/example of a classic album/song (updated)  (Read 725 times)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: whats your definition/example of a classic album/song (updated)
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 04:16:47 PM »
It seems that when people mention trends in a classic album, they're usually referring to the music. 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 04:29:21 PM »
It seems that when people mention trends in a classic album, they're usually referring to the music. 

i don't know man.

the other day i was talking in the West Coast section about "The Chronic" & it's impact because EVERYONE & their mother was wearing a chronic leaf necklace/chain.

personally, i feel that's more of a gimmicky thing on the side, opposed to the music that's on the disc; which is straight up classic, don't get me wrong.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 04:33:33 PM »

i don't know man.

the other day i was talking in the West Coast section about "The Chronic" & it's impact because EVERYONE & their mother was wearing a chronic leaf necklace/chain.

personally, i feel that's more of a gimmicky thing on the side, opposed to the music that's on the disc; which is straight up classic, don't get me wrong.

Of course there's silly stuff like that, but usually it's about the music.  For example, The Strokes' "Is This It" was seen as an album that revived garage rock which ended up being a trend in the early 00s with all these other bands that followed that formula. 

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 05:35:15 PM »
to me a classic is work that sets a standard by being hella creative or just downright good and pleasing to the ear and stands the test of time, take warren g's first album for instance i personally thought the lyrics succ'd ass on alot of the songs but the way the music meshed with his simple style made the album irresistible despite the lyrics not really being that great,everything related to warren as a person and his music. i can still bang that shit today and ride out to it and it sounds just as good it's timeless yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 05:59:21 PM »
(not even for shock, i never do)

but it could be argued that Lil' Jon put out a classic Hip Hop record.  even tho there was 3-6 from way back, Lil' Jon gave Hip Hop that new era digital hip hop as far as producing tracks and making hooks go.  In this situation 3-6 could be Cold 187um and Lil' Jon could be Dr. Dre lol.  

u already know NWA made rap more honest and edgy, we already know about "The 80's in New York", and Dre and Tim making tha sound more broader again in tha late 90's, and then Lil' Jon gave us the commercial music sound we all hear today (as far as industrial hip hop records), then Kanye and some more shit.  

i dont wanna be tha attention whore but that's some real shit.  even if you dont like the music.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 06:01:28 PM »
never ever, but big hutch in the same sentence as 3-6 mafia...damn what the hell is wrong with you radiotube?
twerk....serious? lol
dre>>>commercial muzik
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 06:03:52 PM »
^

westsiderider323

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 06:09:32 PM »
never ever, but big hutch in the same sentence as 3-6 mafia...damn what the hell is wrong with you radiotube?
twerk....serious? lol
dre>>>commercial muzik

hell yea 36 most definitely can b in the same sentence as big hutch hands down that old triple six shit dj paul/juicy j have always made some cold ass beats they consistent as fuck

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 06:11:25 PM »
back then yeah...but now damn.....they def on somethin...syrup or somethin...lol

twerk....serious? lol
dre>>>commercial muzik

hell yea 36 most definitely can b in the same sentence as big hutch hands down that old triple six shit dj paul/juicy j have always made some cold ass beats they consistent as fuck
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

Blood$

Re: whats your definition/example of a classic album/song
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 06:13:57 PM »
I think a classic is something that is timeless and/or was a trendsetter.  Beyond that I have personal classics that just remind of good times in my life.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 02:01:57 PM »
That tends to be where I go with it. The same way you call certain people "great" in terms of business by how they set the business model or great as an artist by influencing that next generation of artists, the same can be said of an album for how its lyrics or musical themes impacted those who listened to it. Cultural and artistic influence are two different things. For instance, I wouldn't give Run DMC credit in terms of how they had everybody wearing the Adias and stuff but if some young wannabe rapper goes home and puts "Rasing Hell" in their tape deck and the way they learn how to rap or construct verses is by studying that tape then that's something to me.

J.E.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 02:50:38 PM »
Funny how this song explains what classic is while it's also a classic song.

It's also a rare song because it was released in 2007 and I can say the moment it dropped it was "a classic". There's not many songs like that in hip hop history tbh. Shyt, you can just write that title & features down without hearing it & it's a classic song.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 05:40:45 PM »
interestin way of lookin at it jimmy
so how is somethin certified as bein a classic, sales, input etc..?

That tends to be where I go with it. The same way you call certain people "great" in terms of business by how they set the business model or great as an artist by influencing that next generation of artists, the same can be said of an album for how its lyrics or musical themes impacted those who listened to it. Cultural and artistic influence are two different things. For instance, I wouldn't give Run DMC credit in terms of how they had everybody wearing the Adias and stuff but if some young wannabe rapper goes home and puts "Rasing Hell" in their tape deck and the way they learn how to rap or construct verses is by studying that tape then that's something to me.
Cube

Paul

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 02:16:24 AM »
twerk....serious? lol
dre>>>commercial muzik

exaclty.
funkyfreshintheflesh

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: whats your definition/example of a classic album/song
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 03:24:30 AM »
I think a classic is something that is timeless and/or was a trendsetter.  Beyond that I have personal classics that just remind of good times in my life.

This.