Author Topic: Gza/Genius - "Legend Of A Liquid Sword" Advance on the net... some thoughts.  (Read 255 times)

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
"Intro" dopeness. feels like a true Wu intro.

"Autobio" nice drums/keys/strings combo.... Gza still carries it though, nice joint

"Did Ya Say That" kick drums are always nice.... nice piano/organ combo. Gza = dope.

"Silent" this is ill. nice to hear Ghost/Gza... streetlife is solid.

"Knock Knock" dope joint, y'all know by now... i like the video too.

"Stay In Line" bass/drums gives it a deep/darker sound. guitar is a nice touch. Gza rips it... The Hook is okay.

"Animal Planet" is all that needs to be said.

"Fam" this beat is ****ing sweet... wtf y'all talking about? excellent production. great wu song...

"Legend Of A Liquid Sword" that break that comes in is crazy.... the beat is nice... good drums... the sample is a nice touch.

"Fame" still dope after all this time.... great pounding production...

"Highway Robberies" this reminds me of older Wu production somewhat... im definitely enjoying the hard drums throughout the LP...

"Sparing Minds" Grimey, Dirty, Raw. This is Wu-Tang style.

"Rough Cut" definitely the wierdest beat on here... which makes sense since Rza is on it... i like it personally, but some might not. the delivery used on the first verse is sick.

"What You Know About?" good beat and good rhymes...

the things that strike me most about this album is a) gza's dopeness and b) how much i enjoy the beats, especially the drums used.
anyone saying the beats are wack well... either you weren't around during the Wu-heyday or you're just wanting some clean-sounding ****...

4.5/5

no flaws at all... it just lacks that special something that would make it a 5... at least through 2 listens... that could change...

where it relates to other new-ish stuff:

better than Nas
much better than Jay
not as good as Kweli
even with The Roots
not as good as Prince Paul

still probably top 10 this year i'd say... but there's been about 15 really dope albums in 2002.
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

=[Euthanasia]=

Re:Gza/Genius - "Legend Of A Liquid Sword" Advance on the net... some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2002, 02:29:55 AM »
How does it match up to "Liquid Swords"? I consider that a classic, do you think this album has the potential to reach the status that LS has?

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2002, 12:20:30 PM »
its not as good as LS, which is easily the best Wu Solo album ever.  I don't think it will reach the same status as LS, but I think it has the potential to be close... it's already one of my favorite Wu solos, behind LS, Cuban Linx, Bullet Proof Wallets and Tical.
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2002, 03:24:56 AM »
its not as good as LS, which is easily the best Wu Solo album ever.  I don't think it will reach the same status as LS, but I think it has the potential to be close... it's already one of my favorite Wu solos, behind LS, Cuban Linx, Bullet Proof Wallets and Tical.

"....Cuban Linx" is my fav. Wu solo, LS a close second. It's nice to see someone else here likes "Bulletproof Wallets" too, I feel thats been highly slept on.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Young Dan Iza

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2002, 09:42:58 PM »
knock knock is a crazy joint!!!!
but im feelin tha joint wit ghost, once again ghosts delievers,,,"took off my hat, and tha crowd went crazy"

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2002, 08:13:12 AM »
contender for album of the year easily..production is sicc!
gza drops hot shit as usual.
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

Dj Eskimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • <iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/insertgamer
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2002, 12:05:09 PM »
damn!!!  :o :o dat silent joint is fuckin crazy!!!! the rest of the lp is dope aswell!!

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/insertgamertaghere.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>
http://www.myspace.com