Author Topic: Dr. Dre's Detox Will Be Available in Deluxe Surround Sound Version  (Read 4920 times)

acgrundy

Re: Dr. Dre's Detox Will Be Available in Deluxe Surround Sound Version
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2010, 12:03:24 AM »
anyone who has followed Detox from the beginning should remember that this was Dre's original plan years ago.  I think that guy Mellowman who used to post on here once in awhile (old school heads know...he claimed he worked w/ Dre) I think he talked all about this.  Wow, I thought the guy was a fake, but looks like he was for real.

If someone does a search I'm sure they could find the post where Mellowman talks all about this back in the day.  03/04 time period.

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 12:10:29 AM »
whatever- i just want a CD of good music.

MrJas

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2010, 01:14:50 AM »
anyone who has followed Detox from the beginning should remember that this was Dre's original plan years ago.  I think that guy Mellowman who used to post on here once in awhile (old school heads know...he claimed he worked w/ Dre) I think he talked all about this.  Wow, I thought the guy was a fake, but looks like he was for real.

If someone does a search I'm sure they could find the post where Mellowman talks all about this back in the day.  03/04 time period.

Please link us to old posts from him if you can man.

I once listened to an album on surround sound in a friends car, shit sounds totally different.. Dre's right in comparing it from 2-D to 3-D. Can't wait to hear it on Detox.

I'm also curious to see how Interscope promotes Dre's album.
You expect me to download an album that isn't real?  Sorry, but I can't sign this.

dnjp4life

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2010, 10:52:27 AM »
Well at least we know that sonically Detox will sound amazing  :)

acgrundy

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2010, 06:26:52 PM »

Please link us to old posts from him if you can man.

I once listened to an album on surround sound in a friends car, shit sounds totally different.. Dre's right in comparing it from 2-D to 3-D. Can't wait to hear it on Detox.

I'm also curious to see how Interscope promotes Dre's album.

I don't have time to go searching.  Just search for posts by "mellowman" in 02-04...he didn't post often

Hittman2001

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 09:18:14 PM »
FEB 03
plans are back on for a 5.1 version of Detox on sacd, and eventually dvd-audio. if that happens you better get lined up for that musical expreience. if you like rock music i'd get dvd-audio right now and enjoy metallica's black album, stp's core and linkin park's reanimation. dre can't wait to play with the surround sound. i guarantee that dre will mix it better than anyone. Detox will be the
first 5.1 release, but eventually dre hopes to remix and release the entire Aftermath catalogue.

MAY 2001
. now however, we have two new technologies called super audio cd's (sacd) and digitial video disc audio (dvd-audio). these are ready and available for initial release. however, they are still limited in release and the sonic possibilties and technology are still in the early stages. these sacd's or dvd audio allow for 5.1 digital sound. that means you have 2 front speakers, a center channel, 2 surround speakers and a subwoofer. when mixed you can literally place a different instrument in each channel. so dre could  place a keyboard sound in one front speaker, the vocals in the center speaker, a guitar in the other front speaker, a flute in a surround speaker, and the drums in the other, with a bassline in the subwoofer. or any way you want to arrange it. when you hear these new technologies now they sound much better than a regular cd. in a few years the sound will be further enhanced and advanced, the technology will even be further advanced and the way you hear and listen to music will be unbelievable. and with the space for information available on these new technologies you can put an entire album, a documentary and a dozen videos on each dvd. and it will come through your stereo and the videos will be in visually stunning picture on your tv. so my advice is to not waste your hard earned money on a virtually identical chronic cd.instead make a copy of the one you already have. and wait a few years until the sound is much better than anything possible today. peace.

Dre, DETOX and the revolutionary 5.1 sound  on: June 29, 2001, 09:17:44 PM 
i have heard the future and it is 5.1 digital music. and like usual dre is gonna be at the forefront of this musical innovation and will help to push sonic boundaries to places not yet reached. a few months ago (before dre talked about it) i talked to you about these new musical formats. it comes in 2 different forms. dvd-audio and superaudio compact disc (sacd). right now if dre released a recording in 5.1 sound you would not be able to listen to it on your regular cd players. you must have a dvd audio or sacd player and you must have a compatible receiver, along with the many correct connections. regular cd players cannot play these 5.1 discs. and even if they could you could not hear get the 5.1 sound cause your equipment would not be compatible. for those who don't know what 5.1 sound is it consists of this: the 5 means having 2 front speakers, 1 center speaker and 2 surround speakers. the 1 is referring to a subwoofer. if anyone is thinking about buying either of these 2 technologies i would advise you to wait for a while. the two formats are still battling each other to be the prefered format. right now dvd-audio is ahead in terms of getting backed by the most record companies. but many experts, including myself think that sacd is better. but most people probably could not tell the difference. both of these formats are available but the discs released are very minimal. there are no rap releases yet and small amounts of others. so there are a lot of things to be straightened out.my advice would be to wait for another year and the picture should be much clearer. late 2002 and early 2003 is the projeted time frame for this new technology to blow up and be ready to be used correctly. the engineers still developing this format are just getting to figure out the possiblities.and since this technology is so new most producers and mixers will have to work with this a while before they can perfect it. i have heard a lot of discs and there is a huge room for improvement. the 5.1 sound is incredible, even in these early stages. after only just recently heard this sound experience (thanks to someone i know.lol.) dre is just starting to learn about it and work with it. by the time detox is being finished the sonic possiblites of 5.1 digital music will have started to be realized.one more thing about the format.there is enough disc space on these discs to include the album, some remixes, some documentaries and some music videos. the possiblites are endless. if anyone does have dvd audio i suggest you buy metallica's black album (yeah we bump rock music too)to get the best example i've heard of 5.1 so far. right now its late saturday night and i'm still working in the lab instead of relaxing and hangin out.i'm tired and i got a few more things to "rap"up. i'll post a reply tommorrow and detail our "special" plans for the 5.1 sound. talk to you tommorrow.

mellowman posts
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?action=profile;u=577;sa=showPosts

mellowmanisback posts (supposedly lost his password to original username)
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?action=profile;u=7703;sa=showPosts

Educate yourself....this stuff is at least nine years in the making for Dre

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 09:39:10 PM »
The key more than anything is a high quality digital format because no one is going to buy an entire unit just for one cd. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Hittman2001

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »
yeah if there is a way to squeeze more out of current cd's/players that would be great.  i wouldn't expect alot of people to buy these players.  i had one and had Santana's Supernatural, Metallica's Black Album, and Linkin Park's Reanimation.  Reanimation was so sick...

edit:   I've read that vinyl records run at 96khz or something like that and DVD-A is somewhere in that ballpark.  CDs are 44.1 or something like that.  Analog is a true sound source and digital takes steps along the sound wave and averages it out.....just food for thought.  I think thats correct.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:55:03 PM by Hittman2001 »

MediumL

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2010, 02:28:06 AM »
Ok I'm not a sound head like a lot of you guys but what I want to know is:

A) Will the deluxe version work with normal headphones/ipods etc
B) Could you play it through your TV system
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Matty

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2010, 02:49:27 AM »
yeah if there is a way to squeeze more out of current cd's/players that would be great.  i wouldn't expect alot of people to buy these players.  i had one and had Santana's Supernatural, Metallica's Black Album, and Linkin Park's Reanimation.  Reanimation was so sick...

edit:   I've read that vinyl records run at 96khz or something like that and DVD-A is somewhere in that ballpark.  CDs are 44.1 or something like that.  Analog is a true sound source and digital takes steps along the sound wave and averages it out.....just food for thought.  I think thats correct.

DVD-A can be 96khz, 192khz or sometimes just 48khz...depends on the release. i'd say the more important thing is the 'resolution' - 24-bit over 16-bit files - what they call 'advanced resolution' on DVD-A releases. the good thing about DVD-A is that any PC dvd-drive will play them (with the right software installed) and they often feature lower quality dolby digital/dts tracks so anyone with a standard dvd-video player can check out the 5.1.

but still, its kinda a dead format, would be surprised if they were considering it for detox. but for a proper physical release, DVD-A and SACD are really the only things out there. what is preferable and perhaps more likely is a multi-channel FLAC format release. this is what i was saying before and what Action! mentioned. anyone with a PC can get in on the action, no DVD-A software required. FLAC files can be 6 channel and be higher than redbook 44.1khz/16-bit quality. because the files would be so big, this could warrant a bonus data dvd as opposed to a purely digital download.

also, vinyl doesn't have a sampling rate per se, its a groove. you can record it at 192khz it still won't be 'full' quality, although its debatable if people can hear any difference at those kinda levels. one things for sure, hip-hop, with a strong reliance on drum sounds, is a genre that hugely benefits from vinyl and high quality formats. cda really needs an outstanding mix and master to bring everything out.

i got that reanimation dvd-a off a torrent, still need to check it out. heard its supposed to be super crazy 8)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:42:27 AM by Matty »

Matty

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2010, 02:58:59 AM »
Ok I'm not a sound head like a lot of you guys but what I want to know is:

A) Will the deluxe version work with normal headphones/ipods etc
B) Could you play it through your TV system

A) if its a digital format yes, but would be downmixed to stereo. some players support high quality .wavs, so you might be able to take advantage of any increased sampling/bit-rate through transcoding to .wav.

B) if it was a dvd-a release and included DD/DTS 5.1 tracks for people with standard dvd-video players, then yes. a lot of DVD-A/DVD-A Dualdisc releases do this. wouldn't be the same quality as the actual DVD-A tracks though.

dameons

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2010, 08:26:12 PM »
Not gonna be released anytime soon.....8 or 9 months , guaranteed.

BossMadeLive

• 'G'
  • FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @LIVEW1RE
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2010, 08:24:31 AM »
detox will be classic