Author Topic: The Westcoast is garbage cause of too many sell outs, wack mcs and producers!  (Read 916 times)

Jimmy H.

The West has kind of caught itself on a "Catch 22" in my opinion. Music is supposed to be diverse but the moment anything happens that isn't the standard formula for West Coast music, it's basically a giant shit fit. People only want what they are specifically interested in and when ever somebody goes outside that box, they turn their ears off. The labels don't want to put money behind it because the fans have built an enviroment where they won't fuck with it unless it's Snoop or Dre. There's a part of me, that while disgareeing with the anger towards the O.G.'s, understands it. Because all it takes to shut down people's way of thinking is to create that viewpoint. Cube may never have said "Fuck Glasses or fuck Crooked or fuck whoever" but the fans are so programmed into this Tupac "ride against my enemies like they were yours" mentality. Consumers need to stop being personally involved as much. My thing is if Cube is dropping his album the same day as the Mack 10-Glasses Malone one, I'm buying both.

And "selling out" is such an overused expression, I can't even qualify it as an argument anymore. Unless I know the context of how you're calling it, it just comes off as a comfort word. An expression people use because it's familiar and they have no idea how to move beyond. We're a generation bread on anyone who does something that we don't like in a commercial enterprise is "selling out".

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
The West has kind of caught itself on a "Catch 22" in my opinion. Music is supposed to be diverse but the moment anything happens that isn't the standard formula for West Coast music, it's basically a giant shit fit. People only want what they are specifically interested in and when ever somebody goes outside that box, they turn their ears off. The labels don't want to put money behind it because the fans have built an enviroment where they won't fuck with it unless it's Snoop or Dre. There's a part of me, that while disgareeing with the anger towards the O.G.'s, understands it. Because all it takes to shut down people's way of thinking is to create that viewpoint. Cube may never have said "Fuck Glasses or fuck Crooked or fuck whoever" but the fans are so programmed into this Tupac "ride against my enemies like they were yours" mentality. Consumers need to stop being personally involved as much. My thing is if Cube is dropping his album the same day as the Mack 10-Glasses Malone one, I'm buying both.

And "selling out" is such an overused expression, I can't even qualify it as an argument anymore. Unless I know the context of how you're calling it, it just comes off as a comfort word. An expression people use because it's familiar and they have no idea how to move beyond. We're a generation bread on anyone who does something that we don't like in a commercial enterprise is "selling out".

+1, well said

Westdog

Cube hasnt made good music in a long time.He makes average music at best the last ten years.You can practically feel him going through the motions on every song,its paint by numbers hip hop.

Na man! Back n Dayz, he was tight. What now?  Cube  always the different. Just feel it
This my town, I run it, you walk it
You just now learnin’ the game, I taught it

Westdog

Yeah.+. But, Who knows people? They R so differense. And everybody mf has his own fhilosophy
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:39:46 PM by Westdog »

Westdog

Yeah.+. But, Who knows people? They R so differense. And everybody mf has his own fhilosophy

Jimmy H.

But I think that's part of the problem. Making a song for commercial reasons is not selling out. Making a song that betrays your beliefs as an artist is. People forget that music is a business and to simplify it further, a job. We all have jobs we work because it pays the bills. There is a world of difference between doing something you don't like or at least aren't crazy about because you're being paid and doing something you're morally opposed to for money. When there's millions of dollars tied into your career, there's compromises happening. As long as you're not compromising your integrity, you're not selling out.

Jaydc

Great post.I completely agree.People get way too wrapped in what artists do and say.When Crooked and Snoop had their rift,i went and supported both their projects even though crook is my favorite artist and I felt like snoop was holding him down.But I'm not going to let an artists beef dictate what I enjoy.Thats just ludicrous.You see posters on here like Long beach iz active that are such groupies to an artist that they do and say whatever they artist themself do nobody matter what with no real thoughts of their own.I didn't let Saigon and Joe buddens beef stop from enjoying the diss track they sent eachother and then went and copped their projects.I saw some poster on here say he would never spin Jay rock again because he went against cube,its like really dude?Thats just pathetic.Just enjoy the music and stop acting like your this perons best friend,actions like that make me question th sanity of a person.If you dislike a rapper just because he disses your favourite rapper,you have some clear mental issues.

As far as the other part is concerned.The west is stuck in its old ways.The problem is that Snoop,cube,Dre have a stranglehold on the coast.Everything goes through them,wether its new artists getting on the radio or people getting a deal on a major.They are the most important figures in westcoast hip hop like it or not.The problem is they call themselves leaders and kings and fans are stuck on these artist in the west,they wont accept anyone else unless one of these three cosign someone.Same with record labels,if your on the west and want to blow you better be going through these guys or else your fucked.The problem is they don't care,all they want is personal success.They feel threatened by the new generation so instread of helping them they hold them back and blackball them.People are always complaining that crooked bishop and glasses are being whiny about the cosigns but at the same time they wont even give these artists a chance because they aren't being co signed by them.Its hypocrisy at its finest.Its easy for someone like nipsey to say oh fuck a co sign I'm my own man,when hes being fucking cosigned.Lets see him say that after hes been around for years and the leaders of the coast wont help I'm at all.For worse,everything on the coast has to go through these major heads,so its not like crooked bishop glasses and them really want these cosigns,theyve been doing music on their own for years.Its just they NEED the cosigns for any chance at success on this coast.Its pretty pathetic when people on the east and south show more love to these young west cats then the people from their own coast.People want the west to be a huge prominent figure in hip hop again but they don't realize their the ones holding it back.These so called kings of the west are starving their own coast while making ridiculous claims like I am the west.Its pathetic.The west will always be where it is right now until these so called kings lets their people eat.It ain't about signing someone to your label,its all about that co sign.People can complain all they want and say they shouldn't need it it and be their own man but guess what,this is the west and unless snoop Dre or cube cosign an artist the rest of the country isn't interested.The sad part is,the music the vets and new west artists would make together would bring the west back to prominence.They need some fresh blood in there,some hungry artists.They need biship and glasses and crooked and jay rock to go in there and light a fire under their ass.The rest of the country only hears these major heads songs,and each album they get progressively worse.nobody cares about hearing snoop making a song with daz and kurupt for the one millionth time.They want someone new they want something exciting.But instead the west starves and each album by these vets their fanbase gets smaller and smaller until finally they wont even push wood.The west is being killed by nieve fans and old selfish men.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

But I think that's part of the problem. Making a song for commercial reasons is not selling out. Making a song that betrays your beliefs as an artist is. People forget that music is a business and to simplify it further, a job. We all have jobs we work because it pays the bills. There is a world of difference between doing something you don't like or at least aren't crazy about because you're being paid and doing something you're morally opposed to for money. When there's millions of dollars tied into your career, there's compromises happening. As long as you're not compromising your integrity, you're not selling out.

Its the fact that a lot of fans get emotionally attached to these rappers. So the minute a rapper makes a song that is for radio..and not EXACTLY what the fans are used to, they feel betrayed and think the artist is selling out. Its understandable in a way because when these rappers were coming up, they were more than likely being supported by those very same fans who now feel that the rapper is letting them down by chasing the money...and turning his back on his original fans. I get it.  But I agree that selling out isnt about making music for radio and trying to get rich.  Its about compromising your own beliefs. My beef is just with the quality of rap we have on the airways now that the fanbase isnt what it used to be. The fan base used to be HIP HOP fans. Now the fan base is Hannah Montana/ Rap fans.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

MistaNova

Regarding wack MC's and producers, it's all taste and what fits your ear.
You might like something that another person finds boring. Or vice versa.

Nowadays people say someone sold out just because they don't make the kind of music they used to (Ya Boy), or because they changed the sound of their music to make more money. If the second is considered selling out then I ponder what people think when they heard how Dr. Dre changed his style (production-wise). As for the first one I can picture someone who used to rap about guns and gangbanging but then decided to rap about bitches and hoes, that seem like selling out to you? You be the judge of that.

I wouldn't say the west is garbage, but the music made by O.G.'s is getting duller and the music made by the B.G.'s aren't reaching the shelves. The chances of the O.G.'s dying of age is becoming more probable than the West getting back to the forefront, simple.

Elano

Cube hasnt made good music in a long time.He makes average music at best the last ten years.You can practically feel him going through the motions on every song,its paint by numbers hip hop.

Somebody that love so much crooked i and gio budden shouldn't talk about ICE CUBE.
But please, go on with the music lesson, your posts are pure comedy
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:42:17 AM by Krasnoe Dinamo »

ironmike

• Muthafuckin' Don!
i wouldnt say all of the westcoast is garbage, but alot of it is.
this is mainly because of alot of westcoast rappers jumping on the south's nuts, making dirty south sounding music, or making eastcoast sounding music, or doing some gay booboo pop-rap or rnb. they're too scared to make westcoast gangsta rap, coz all these dumb critics in magazines and news websites will criticize it, and say that they need to move on, but thats the west's signature sound. the south have their signature sound, and they will never change it. same as the eastcoast. its just those 2 rap sub-genres are not considered played out by these dumb fucking music critics, who dont know what is good music. so all of these westcoast rappers are playing to the tunes of them, instead of being grown men and saying "fuck ya'll, this is our sound, if you dont like it, then kiss my ass. we are westcoast, and we are going to represent it properly by making westcoast sounding music. our fans appreciate our music, and we're making it for them, and not for you queers from MTV."

there are still some westcoast rappers who are keeping it real like daz, kurupt, and ofcourse a bunch of other artists.
but the big names, like the game, snoop, and to a lesser extent warren, are sellin out big time. lady gaga on a game album? soulja boy on a snoop album? cassy davis on a warren g album? i mean what the fuck? with these rapper, there's no respect for the music anymore. they're just completely trying to chase the dollar. they've stopped making real westcoast music because these geeks from these magazines n stuff are tellin them its played out.

look at snoop's "tha last meal" album for instance,... that was the last real westcoast solo album of his, and it sold double platinum. for some reason snoop felt the need to go  the  pop-rap/rnb route on the next albums. this i never understood, but this move has really hurt westcoast gangsta rap, because snoop is the frontman for it, so if he aint doin it nomore, then all these other westcoast arists do the same.

and i disagree about the westcoast has wack producers. thats is so wrong. the west has alot of talented producers, but they're just not being used, or they're told by the artists or their record companys to make beats that sound like they're from the south or the east coast, or pop-rap or rnb.

the only big name left that is keeping it 100 right now is ice cube. thats why every single person who is a fan of westcoast rap needs to pick this album up if they know whats good for them.

cube is the last hope for westcoast gangsta rap, coz he is the only big name from the westcoast that is still doin it. he is representing it with pride, and saying "fuck the industry" , while he'll sell atleast gold status , while releasing the album independantly.
without cube doing this, gangsta rap could well be completely dead soon. meaning that no westcoast artists will make it.
its quite ironic that ice cube was the one who started gangsta rap, and now he's keeping it alive. 25 years, and still doin it. ultimate respect for cube!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:38:13 AM by ironmike »

dopeascanbe

• 'G'
New West, Old Heads, Sellouts, are what i been hearing throughout dubcnn.  Some of these artrist you call new west been around for 6 years or more.  the ages are 30 and older with the exception of jay rock and some others, so they could be considered age wise as old heads . New west seperates the coast. fuck that, this coast is the west coast and nothin else. you talk about sellout. How many of you are doing somthin you really like to do and money is not the reason, so you would be willin to do it for free.How many of you would turn down being rich as long as you are not doing anything that goes against most of your standards. these rap niggaz are trying to live the american dream, which is to be wealthy(somthin that is at the top of everyones list other than to be heathy and spend time wit family). These niggaz make a few songs that keep their name out there on a gloabal level to maintain a strong brand and they still make the gangsta shit as well. its a gang of A&Rs and label execs on this bitch(dubcnn forum), but they aint done shit in the music business.  for expample, Glasses new song is not the gangsta shit you want but its dope.  you dont see them rap niggaz tellin the avg nigga how to live there life and you would not wont another nigga on this forum tellin you how to live yours because it would be a lot more e-beefing goin down. real talk!

Shade Sheist™

• PYO Entertainment
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.ShadeSheist.net
Whether you like something or not will always be an opinion,
folks these days are too concerned with what the next man is doing.. in an attempt to emulate.

Artists:
If 1000 folks you don't know said you were dope.. and one other person said you were wack..
why would u spend that much time contemplating why that (one) person doesn't care for you?
..wouldn't it be wiser to cater to that thousand??

Fans:
Some of yall are too caught up on trends. Yall are like Mormons hittin door to door tryna convert folks.
You want so bad to roll with popular belief instead of holding your ground with your own thoughts.
You are caught up in numbers that don't even have anything to do with you..
why do you care if an album sold 30 copies or 3 million.. you aren't seein profits either way.
but you will be quik to talk about a flop or how someone fell off, sold out etc.. cause u say so?
If you don’t see it in the mainstream you automatically assume nobody knows about it,
forgetting that this world is bigger than your neighborhood.
I have more fans overseas than domestically.. some of yall laugh.. I do too, but on my way to the bank.

Reality:
Do you know how much you could stand to make by selling even 500 copies of anything?
That ‘flop’ could pay your mortgage for half a year..

Quality overcomes everything yall discussed in this thread,
and that’s beyond Unity, New West, Old West and No West.

I have yet to have anyone give me a legit negative criticism of my new album,
and sh*t.. I know how much work I put into making it worth the purchase.
I just bought myself another year to chill if I wanted to.. but I love working.
You never see me complain.. and that’s cause there ain’t sh*t to complain about!

If nobody ever does another record with me again..
If radio continues to be the scam that they have become..
Won’t matter, cause I built an independent machine that isn’t influenced by trends.

It’s all based on my QUALITY of work.

Spend less time on the extra shit and more time in the Laboratory.
The homies are over here debatin wit each other while my focus is to push this West line over the waters..
Deals come and go.. Radio is off and on.. Unity is rare..
But If my constiguents would focus more on the craft and less on the promo,
They too would discover that this game is a very natural process that ain’t all that hard to figure out how to make work for you.
My former business partners aint in my same status for specific reasons..  Marinate on that.

WEST or 0.
New Album "BLACKOPS" Coming Soon
-------------------------------------------
Official Site: www.ShadeSheist.net
Music: www.GFUNKISFOREVER.net
Twitter: www.twitter.com/shade_sheist
Facebook: www.facebook.com/shadesheistfan
YouTube: www.youtube.com/ishadesheist

Muhfukka

fuck you shade sheist the only people buying your shit are weird japanese people

cStyle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
There are alot of dope producers out here, rappers to for that matter. Especially the underground scene on the west, unless we are saying that artists like Murs, Blu, Fashawn, Sick Jacken and others are wack as well.  ::)

But in the end they all get pigeonholed with the rest of the west when it is down and forgotten when things are right. It is a lose/lose.

I just wrote some examples u know. Didnt mean that the rest is wack. Murs actually is tight as fuck i love dudes music  ;)

Its the fact that a lot of fans get emotionally attached to these rappers. So the minute a rapper makes a song that is for radio..and not EXACTLY what the fans are used to, they feel betrayed and think the artist is selling out. Its understandable in a way because when these rappers were coming up, they were more than likely being supported by those very same fans who now feel that the rapper is letting them down by chasing the money...and turning his back on his original fans. I get it.  But I agree that selling out isnt about making music for radio and trying to get rich.  Its about compromising your own beliefs. My beef is just with the quality of rap we have on the airways now that the fanbase isnt what it used to be. The fan base used to be HIP HOP fans. Now the fan base is Hannah Montana/ Rap fans.

You got me wrong man...im not one of these type of fans that talks down on any new shit cuz its new. Im listening to new shit all day every day "if its dope"! My Problem is Snoop just following trends and not doin himself. When u aks him why he changed his style from dope rap music to that plastic shit he always says ah man its all about evolution as an artist n shit lmao. Watch when Detox drops he gonna be all on that westcoast g-shit again  ;) Why cause he switches like a chamileon to do everything to get the most profit.

Snoop got enuff money already, he never need to work in his life ever again, so he shoulda do something for Rap/HipHop. Now that he got the Position @ Priority he should bring the shit back fo real. Stop releasing your bullshit music you old ass mofucka and sign some real talent and get this shit crackin.

But on the other hand Snoop is tellin the truth when hes talkin bout most of these new west cats complaining about that nobody is putting them on. They need to get their own shit poppin and stop waiting for grilled chickens flying in they mouth  ;) But it will never happen cause most of these dudes aint talented they just copycats without theyr own style...

this aint about the old west or the new west this is about Rap/HipHop in general and how we can give that hole game a face lift. We need unity in the game and we need artist who bring theyre own unique styles to the table just like all them veterans did back in the day and not copying all the shit which is hot right now. Thats why everybody is bored with Rap cuz its all the same bullshit all the same topics they speak about all that bullshit beefin for no reasons n shit. And thats why i understand Cubes point of view when he goin at the new West. I still respect cube, cuz he a real mofucka. He feels the same like me he hates all that wack bullshit and thats why hes addressin those new cats which are wack and are complaining how nobody helps them

Cats like glasses malone, bishop lamont, crooked i need to shut the fuck up and fall back. How many tracks did Glasses drop? A lot! But i dont remember one dope track if i tell the truth that sticked to my ear where i said man this shit is classic. To me hes just a regular MCand as i said he just like snoop following trends n shit to get rich quik by not bein himself. Same goes for Bishop. Crooked I on the other hand is a dope lyricist i can give him that hes ill. but hes still droppin garbage tracks most of the time cause the only tight beats he ever spitted over was that 19th stret shit a few deathrow tracks and them hiphop weeklys  and maybe 1 or 2 slaughterhouse beats out of hundreds and hundreds of tracks. Yall remember how dope crooked came over them classic beats on HipHop Weeklys? Hes destroyed them and everybody was lovin it (and once again not cause them beats are old 90s shit ist cause theyre quality a dope beat is a dope beat no matter if it was created 10 years ago or today). Besides that dude fell the fuck off with all that stupid Boss shit he be yellin. I never felt his style after death Row. he became a wannabe Suge Knight, am i the only one who realised that? He talked like Suge, smokes cigars like suge, acted like a Boss who builded up an music empire or sumthing like suge lol. Cmon crooked u never even released one fuckin album man. Yes your are a dope MC but that aint enuff to make good tracks. The hole product needs to be slammin. People aint vibin to the tracks only cause of your lyrics.

Like i said i got faith tho with artists like Nipsey Hussle, Dom Kennedy, Pac Div (im just listing the new cats) cause i can feel the music flowing thru theryr veins the put theyre heart and soul in this music shit. Plus they take beats from young producers which got that fire Ill be coppin there shit for sure...twice...

8)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:36:34 AM by sKyStAkes »